when use dry smb and when use dissolved smb

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nizi72

RESPECTED MEMBERS,

please guide when should use dry smb to precipitate gold and when use dissolved smb in water.

many thanks,
javed.

Both works, some people prefer using it dry, some prefer to dissolve it first.

Try it out and see what you think.

Göran

Anytime increasing the volume of waste might be a problem I use it dry, such as a very large drop. If it is a small drop, or small volume of solution, then I will mix the smb with water.

many thanks for sharing experience.

please guide for dirty solution, we should use dry smb or dissolved smb??

also please guide for foils we should go for dry or dissolved smb??

besides, if we want to purify around 20k melted gold and process AR. Then what should use DRY or DISSOLVED for precipitate.

I think what everyone is trying to say is that there are no specific situations where either method works better. For a dirty solution, I prefer to cement onto Copper first, then re-dissolve before precipitating with SMB. I have always dissolved the SMB in boiling water first, but that's just what I like.

Dirty solutions is best precipitated with ferrous sulfate because SMB will precipitate Pd and some copper especially if the solution is saturated with copper. SMB also causes coprecipitation or "drag down" of other elements. This is a separate issue than the direct precipitation of copper sulfate from the SO2. Use ferrous sulfate on the first drop and then use SMB on the second refine to clean the gold even more.

Latest posts

Back