Why is my precipitate getting hard and clumpy?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpcp7208

So dissolved some gold, didn't get it as pure as I wanted so I'm processing it again. It is gold and nickel only. The first time I processed it I got the stuff in my filter (pic below) anyone know what this is?. I gave it multiple hot hcl then distilled water baths, switching back and forth. I precipitated the gold with SMB. There was a good amount of colloidal gold layer on top of my gold mud. This warranted me to process it again. So I have it in hcl and am adding my few mL of hno3 every so often, on low heat. Every time I go to add more hno3 and stir it with my stir rod, I notice the precipitate is getting kinda hard and clumpy and I have to break it up with my stir rod. Anyone know why this is happening? The second pic is just the product currently in solution.

Attachments

• 20210305_093955.jpg
    20210305_093955.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 169
  • 20210305_113203.jpg
    20210305_113203.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 169
Your explanation doesn't make much sense. If you have the material in hcl and are adding hno3 then you are making AR, which will put the precipitate into solution, so there should be no precipitate, unless you have something that does not go into solution with AR, which is what you want to filter out anyway. It should not matter whether it clumps up or not, but only that the gold gets fully dissolved. Also don't forget those stannous chloride tests.

Latest posts

Back