Dry scrubber

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jell00

I’m trying to find the right housing to make this, I bought three types of poly propylene fine wire mesh, going to

Take lye sodium carbonate and aluminum carbonate, and add them to a slurry until it all dissolves, then I’m going to heat it in my oven until it’s about to precipitate, I’m going to add the plastic sheets to the mixture and let it encrust all over the surfaces and webs this will be my fume scrubber,

The sponges will be to filter out particles for the gases, the small amount of residual water should help speed up the reactions,

I’m primarily using this for chlorine, but might be useful for other chemicals depending on how big the container is,

Any concerns or inputs particularly on type of container I should use

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I’m trying to find the right housing to make this, I bought three types of poly propylene fine wire mesh, going to

Take lye sodium carbonate and aluminum carbonate, and add them to a slurry until it all dissolves, then I’m going to heat it in my oven until it’s about to precipitate, I’m going to add the plastic sheets to the mixture and let it encrust all over the surfaces and webs this will be my fume scrubber,

The sponges will be to filter out particles for the gases, the small amount of residual water should help speed up the reactions,

I’m primarily using this for chlorine, but might be useful for other chemicals depending on how big the container is,

Any concerns or inputs particularly on type of container I should use
I think metal wire would’ve been better as it would make metal hydroxides which would react with chlorine and other fumes to create metal chlorides then instantly react with lye to produce salt and metal hydroxides but oh well

Are you expecting to suck air through these pads? I expect there will be a very large pressure drop and your CFM will be poor. And worse as the pads collect particulates.

They do use solid state scrubbing in a number of applications.
Notably, NBC equipment and CO2 scrubbing in diving and space flights, so they can be quite effective for scrubbing gas on a small scale.
Unfortunately, both of these applications can be used to highlight some shortcomings with such systems.
Most importantly, the high cost and low operational life of such filters.
There are some very good designs already in production for NBC respirators, so you can either use a vacuum to pull gas through cheep out of time filter packs or try and scale up a filter design which is known to target the waste gases you are interested in scrubbing.

In a wet scrubber, a mist eliminator mat is typically used to catch droplets and eliminate them from the discharge path. They do cut down on the total volume of solution that does pass through but do not eliminate it completely. 1C1C0550-87E5-4652-A7E9-12A4FAC51E35.jpeg
From this diagram from Kimre clean air technology, you can see the placement of the mist eliminator in the air path. If you can acquire some of this mist eliminator padding and coat it with your recipe for absorption, it should provide better airflow. If you google mist eliminators for fume scrubbers a bunch of suppliers will come up.

Keep in mind you will have to mount the pads in such a way that you can easily remove them to clean and recoat them.

Back