Is this good corningware?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martijn

Hello. I've bought this dish for 50 cents today at a flee-market. I was very pleased to be able to read 'corning ware' in the light once we got outside! But I wanted to know if i can rely on these markings if it is the real deal. The bottom is smooth.
20231022_182342.jpg20231022_182355_mfnr.jpg20231022_182406.jpg

Your item number has an A prefix. It is not pyroceram. You want a P prefix on the item number.

I read those, but was still not sure. Now i know, it's not pyroceram, Have to look for the P.
Allthough it has that smooth bottom and 'glass like appearance' that was talked about and i will keep on looking for the good stuff.
Thanks for the replies guys!

I did pyrolize a hand full of filter papers in it yesterday, and that went great, i was probably just lucky...
Safety first!

Your item number has an A prefix. It is not pyroceram. You want a P prefix on the item number.
But then why is the post 1972 Pyroceram marked with an A? As mine is? that's kind of confusing.
Heating with a torch and tossing a bunch of cold water in it, is not really the test i want to perform.

from the thread:

"Further breakdown of the letter codes for corningware pyroceram dishes.

A--post 1972"

I could be in error but P marked items are common in my area.

I know Corning changed their formulation for their clear glass items in the US to an inferior formula, no longer borosilicate. I just did not trust the newer items

Hey Martijn,

We have our very own Pyroceram in our part of the world! Look for Pyroflam, if i dont beat you to it at the flea markets ;) They guaranteed no breaking from temperature changes, excluding the glass lids.

I have found this trying to find an alternative for the 'known' Corningware our colleages from abroad use. Check out the picture below!

Hope this helps,
MvK

Quote:

'Pyroflam' is the European version of Corning's 'Pyroceram', their generic brand or brand name for the glass-ceramic composition brought to the market in 1958. White kitchen-to-table cookware is marketed under the name Pyroflam in Europe. .(18/06/2009)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231023_233849_Marktplaats.jpg
    Screenshot_20231023_233849_Marktplaats.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 0
Back