Inquartation A - Z

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't a constructive comment, by any means, but I feel obliged to say thank you. The effort that went into this post is what makes goldrefiningforum.com the most helpful gold refining forum on the internet.

Great effort Sam, i can't comment yet as i haven't taken the time to read through your article but Ive taken a
quick peek and it looks like you've put a lot of effort into it.

from what I see this is seemingly the best way for me to go with refining jewelry scrap, I am just now looking at setting up to do my own refining of scrap karat jewelry. I was HEAVILY considering the Shor simplicity system but from comments on this site I will pass on that

thanks for the very informative posts!

mlgdave

Great videos, I noticed that you used no borax or boric acid when melting. Is this because of the purity of the gold before melting?
Mark

mlgdave said:
I was HEAVILY considering the Shor simplicity system but from comments on this site I will pass on that

That's a wise choice.
I wish you good luck. follow the procedure and post here how your first attempt went along.

seawolf said:
Great videos, I noticed that you used no borax or boric acid when melting. Is this because of the purity of the gold before melting?
Mark

Thanks Mark.
I stated that my melting dish ware already glazed (with borax). It is barely visible since i used to melt in it only pure gold.
Although i never melt without glazing, pure gold can be melted with no problems without any glazing but pouring it to a mold will be somewhat troublesome...

hello everyone. I am brand new to this forum. It seems to be an excellent forum with good people. i have read a lot and this post has helped me a lot as well so thanks for posting it. :D. I came across some old gold teeth and that is what sparked my interest in refining. need to get all the materials then im gonna give it a go.

Also i have some old silver 1964 quarters that i would like to melt down and refine into pure silver also. where would i find knowledge on how to that? the quarters are in bad shape so i think i would like to have a nice piece of pure silver instead. This whole refining thing looks really fun. I think i'm already hooked.

Anyway thanks for everyone's help in advance.

-Adam

Gold teeth typically have mercury in them and you will have to use a retort to remove it before processing. I would highly suggest you process some karat gold first so you understand the process well before attempting something like teeth.

Welcome to the forum!

A9johnson said:
hello everyone. I am brand new to this forum. It seems to be an excellent forum with good people. i have read a lot and this post has helped me a lot as well so thanks for posting it. :D. I came across some old gold teeth and that is what sparked my interest in refining. need to get all the materials then im gonna give it a go.

Also i have some old silver 1964 quarters that i would like to melt down and refine into pure silver also. where would i find knowledge on how to that? the quarters are in bad shape so i think i would like to have a nice piece of pure silver instead. This whole refining thing looks really fun. I think i'm already hooked.

Anyway thanks for everyone's help in advance.

-Adam

Heres a good step by step thread to read up on processing silver, http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=8258#p76991

The caution about mercury in gold teeth is sound. It's not uncommon for a filled tooth to be crowned at a later date. I have four of them, myself.
You can generally remove the silver filling by hammering the gold crown on an anvil, which will also remove remnants of tooth. The silver amalgam will appear dull grey in color. It should be processed only by beginning with a retort. Do not heat, or chemically dissolve.

Refining quarters?

Well, here's my thoughts.

Junk silver coins (that's what they are) are readily identifiable by almost anyone that deals with precious metals. Coins that come from modern societies were struck with tightly controlled alloy content, and are readily tradable in a crisis. That may or may not be true of some home-processed silver. If you couple the ease of a transaction with the fact that you have a small piece of silver instead of a chunk that may be several ounces, in a crisis you would be able to deal much easier, with no concern about proving the purity or that it really is silver. Think about finding yourself in need of a loaf of bread. You can get it with a large ingot, or a quarter. Which one would you prefer? The person with which you choose to barter is highly unlikely to be able to provide change for an ingot worth more than the exchange.

That being said, if you intend to refine, and you prefer to process the quarters (I wouldn't if they were mine, but then I'm a citizen of the US), I'd do it by using them for inquartation, so the cost of processing is, for all practical purposes, free. If you understand the process of inquartation for refining karat gold, this will make sense. If you don't understand inquartation, you can read about it in Hoke's book.

Harold

Oz said:
Gold teeth typically have mercury in them and you will have to use a retort to remove it before processing. I would highly suggest you process some karat gold first so you understand the process well before attempting something like teeth.

That's a sound advice Oz.

I keep all fillings that hammered out of teeth in a sealed vial and when quantity permit, I'll send it a refinery.

A9johnson, welcome aboard.
Sam

goldenchild said:
Looks familiar :p

lol

Seems that i completely failed to mention this; :oops:
All editing and rephrasing of my improper English was done by Mario - goldenchild. Mario has been, and still is of great help to me, For that i would like to say HUGE Thank you.

I would like to say thank you for a very good article and very good videos. This will come in very handy when I start to process my small stash of karat jewelry. Again thank you.

Thomas

I think that I have some influence on you :p

On step 3 - Digestion with AR, you write:

Some AR recipes calls for 4:1 or 3:1 HCL:HNO3 and then neutralize the excess nitric acid (Dnoxx).

Where it should be De-NOx

Oh, and it would be great if you could add your link in the Tutorial Section.

Thanks

Noxx said:
I think that I have some influence on you

On step 3 - Digestion with AR, you write:

Some AR recipes calls for 4:1 or 3:1 HCL:HNO3 and then neutralize the excess nitric acid (Dnoxx).

Where it should be De-NOx

LOL

I'll leave it that way, just as small gesture 8)

Noxx said:
Oh, and it would be great if you could add your link in the Tutorial Section.

Sure thing.
Done.

Back