Inquartation A - Z

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Search for your answer (using terms like),
Silver chloride conversion sodium hydroxide and Karo syrup method
Or search:
Silver chloride conversion using Iron or aluminum metal and acid.

Study those search results for details of the processes.
Here are just a few details to get you started and terms to search for;
Keep silver chloride solution wet,

I think I got this from a recipe GSP posted:

31g of AgCl (silver chloride) and 15g of NaOH (sodium hydroxide) and 100ml of H20 (water) and 10ml Karo syrup (light corn syrup)
Or
41g AgCl + 20g NaOH +133ml H2O + 13.3 ml Karo light corn syrup

1 ounce of AgCl is approximately 23.4g silver
1 troy oz silver is approximately 41g silver chloride

Other methods are replacing the silver chloride with another metals and forming salts of these metal in solution:

Like using HCl and aluminum to convert silver chloride to metal silver powder and aluminum to chloride in solution.
Or by using
Dilute sulfuric acid and iron to convert the silver chloride to elemental silver metal powders, and changing the iron into iron chloride and iron sulfate in solution.

Hi Sam, I really like reading your post. You do alot on this board, with no though of a return. I'm going to be ordering your book soon, looks like you've spent a lot of time on it. Thanks for the great Videos, I have just one question? I seen black smoke when you lite the torches. Are the Acetylene and Oxygen? In Hokes Book is that not what they talk about using on PGMS during that era. Sorry for all the confussing questions...
The main question is can I use Acetylene and Oxygen to melt PGMs as long as I keep the flame correct ? And Not compromise the purity to much ? A Hydrogen torch is out of my reach at this stage... Thanks

awbrew

Thank you for you kind words.
As to the book, I think you may confuse me with someone else, as i never wrote any book.

As to your qustions, i think Hoke does address that issue and recommend using Oxy/Hydrogen torch, but i'm not sure about it.
There's actually planty of info here on the forum regarding torch melting of PGM's, so you may find the search feature real handy.

Here are some posts that may get you started and gain some idea :
http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=12956
http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=12140

I'm using Propan/Oxy and sometimes Butane/Oxy. As you initially light the torch, only the fuel knob is open and is burned in air, the incomplete combustion results in a smoky flame, or in other words, soot.
As Oxygen is introduced, combustion becomes more and more efficiant, with it, the temp' are rising.

Hi Sam, I had just watched the great videos you did, and I May had been thinking about chris i believe (goldsilpro) Who wrote the book. Still I read A lot of you post on here, and you do a great job, along with so others that help out folks on this board. Thanks again..

Hello Members,

I have started refining this year. I have found the inquarting procedure from Gold-n-scrap and I have to say thanks a lot & very excellent.
I have done scrap-gold, and jewellery in 333, 585, 750 and I reached all calculated amounts ( after melting) within a tolerance of 0,01-0,03 gramms below calculated. :mrgreen: (BTW: may I was Lucky, that the punced karat-figure was right)

Even the melting with a standard gas-burner running on camping-propane with a grafit-charcoal mold is becomming already handsome, because my charges reaching up to 5 gramms each.

This could be reached only with a precise instruction due to your manual.

Again, very excellent, thank you and best regards from Germany. :lol:

franky667

I'm very pleased to know you have met sucsess with this process.

The kudos are to Hoke book and the fine members of this forum. All i did was to write what i have learned, in my own words... the way i understand it.

Sam.

i want to know about torch by which u melted the brown powder into gold..............whats name of this torch .....................

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OXY-ACETYLENE-WELDING-TORCH-CUTTING-KIT-FITS-HARRIS-/160550764212?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2561923eb4

friendz708 said:
i want to know about torch by which u melted the brown powder into gold..............whats name of this torch .....................

Where is this Sialkot?
Does everybody there use texting lingo?
It is forbidden here.

Thanks.
Jim

hello i am new in your forum
my name is john and i am using nitric acid for refining gold for 5 years.
someone said to me that when i finish with the boiling of nitric acid i can let tha acid to cool and then to use some drops of methanol to be my gold more clean
and i did it and when i drop the methanol inside the nitric it start again to reaction brown fumes it start again!!!!
did any one now what that is and if anyone can tell me if is good to use that or not

p.s. i am use only the nitric acid to refine tha gold i dont care if it is not 9.95 or more

thanks in advance

Keep any alcohol away from your nitric solution, these could be very dangerous together, those fumes can be highly explosive gases when heated.

If you are just using nitric acid on gold, you are not refining the gold, although you are removing most of the base metals and bringing up the purity of your gold, and your doing the first stages needed to refine your gold to high purity, if you are not concerned with refining to high purity just use the nitric as you have (leave out the methanol), but if you wish to do just a little more work to bring your gold to high purity, the forum is the place to learn how.

Read here of the dangers of methanol and nitric acid:
http://www.hillbrothers.com/msds/pdf/methanol.pdf

butcher said:
Keep any alcohol away from your nitric solution, these could be very dangerous together, those fumes can be highly explosive gases when heated.

If you are just using nitric acid on gold, you are not refining the gold, although you are removing most of the base metals and bringing up the purity of your gold, and your doing the first stages needed to refine your gold to high purity, if you are not concerned with refining to high purity just use the nitric as you have (leave out the methanol), but if you wish to do just a little more work to bring your gold to high purity, the forum is the place to learn how.

Read here of the dangers of methanol and nitric acid:
http://www.hillbrothers.com/msds/pdf/methanol.pdf

thanks!!!

Hi all, just finished to upload the new videos of the process. A complete re-make fully narrated and in HD:

Part 1:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gjJNZtrUHo[/youtube]

Part 2:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7tcF_8zskg[/youtube]

Hope you guys like will it. :oops:

Great videos!

Only thing I found is that you spelled share "Sahre" in the end of the second video. :mrgreen:

I really liked how you reuse the washing acid for dissolving dirty gold, I use to do that too.

Another interesting thing you showed is that even after washing the gold sponge it still starts to dissolve gold when you added HCl, proving what's been said for all these years on the forum, when switching acids you need to incinerate to not dissolve any gold.

I think your videos are good enough to earn a place in the tutorial section.

Göran

samuel-a said:
Hi all.

The complete Inquartation tutorial is now released. Two parts article plus 40 minutes +- video tutorial.

Refining Karat Gold and Silver Jewelry using Inquarting method - Part 1

Refining Karat Gold and Silver Jewelry using Inquarting method - Part 2

Please post here your comments, suggestion or any other thing you would like to say about the process.

Good luck and please stay safe.

Hello just to ask in your video there was no killing of nitric acid? My I ask why?

Excellent videos, Sam!!

Hello just to ask in your video there was no killing of nitric acid? My I ask why?

In the 1st video, he made it very clear that he added the nitric in increments and only added enough to dissolve the gold, with no excess. Only when excess nitric is used will it be necessary to kill it.

Back