18k Watch with briljants

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theinsecure

Hi guys,

I’m little by little learning the proces of refining. I came a cross a Longines golden watch with 30 briljants. The weight is 49 grams. We have a deal for 1800 euros (1.972USD) what you guys think about that price? And is it better to melt it or to resell it as a watch?

Thanks all!IMG_6832.pngIMG_6830.pngIMG_6831.png

Hi guys,

I’m little by little learning the proces of refining. I came a cross a Longines golden watch with 30 briljants. The weight is 49 grams. We have a deal for 1800 euros (1.972USD) what you guys think about that price? And is it better to melt it or to resell it as a watch?

Thanks all!View attachment 60996View attachment 60997View attachment 60998
I'd guess that these items sell for better than Gold value, especially if in working conditions.

Small diamonds like those have virtually no resale value. The market is overflowing with them.

Your value is all going to be in the gold, assuming you can be certain it's legit solid 18k in the wristband. The watch case is probably not going to be solid 18k. I personally have only ever seen gold-filled watch cases.

If the band had a weight of 1.5 Troy Oz or more, it might be worthwhile. At 1.4 Troy Oz of 18k, you have 1.05 oz of pure gold after refining. So at 1.5 Troy Oz of 18k, that's where you'll start making profit after refining the 18k (at current gold prices).

But with the TOTAL weight for the watch of just 49 grams, you certainly will not reach that threshold. Looks to me like the price might be just about break even with all gold included from the case.

HI,

I don't think it's worth the price. 1800 euro will buy you at least 25g clean certified 24k bar.

With all labor and chemichals you probably wont get that much out.

Unless gold will rise to 3200, its hard to see where you can make a profit.

This is just my opinion.

Pete

HI,

I don't think it's worth the price. 1800 euro will buy you at least 25g clean certified 24k bar.

With all labor and chemichals you probably wont get that much out.

Unless gold will rise to 3200, its hard to see where you can make a profit.

This is just my opinion.

Pete
Spot on Pete. I agree.
Jon

Personally I have a distrust to everything that says Italy. First check that the moment works and is original. Then decide if a watch or scrap. Like Goldman said not the best scrap deal, if genuine.

I would advise against melting the Longines watch. The 30 brilliant-cut diamonds and the brand's heritage make it a valuable collector's item. The price of 1,800 euros seems reasonable for a timepiece of this caliber. I think it's better to resell it as a watch to preserve its historical and sentimental value.
I had a similar dilemma with my Breguet watch some time ago, but having checked the prices here watchesofmayfair.com/brand/breguet/all-breguet-watches, I decided just to sell it. Honestly, it was a wise decision.

Small diamonds like those have virtually no resale value. The market is overflowing with them.

Your value is all going to be in the gold, assuming you can be certain it's legit solid 18k in the wristband. The watch case is probably not going to be solid 18k. I personally have only ever seen gold-filled watch cases.

If the band had a weight of 1.5 Troy Oz or more, it might be worthwhile. At 1.4 Troy Oz of 18k, you have 1.05 oz of pure gold after refining. So at 1.5 Troy Oz of 18k, that's where you'll start making profit after refining the 18k (at current gold prices).

But with the TOTAL weight for the watch of just 49 grams, you certainly will not reach that threshold. Looks to me like the price might be just about break even with all gold included from the case.
There are solid gold watch cases, I have had a lot of them over the years, had a nice heavy 18K solid watch case not long ago, they are out there....

Latest posts

Back