2 lbs 13 oz Electrum Nugget.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geez... I have never seen electrum in the first place, so I say what the hell, let's retort it, then dissolve it in Aqua Regia, why not? By the way, when do we start doing Psychic Assays? Or Dowsing a sample for gold? By the way I got 24 lbs of Alaskan Leveright from Snowdog that is sitting in my rock garden outside.

All the pictures I have seen is yellow to yellowish white with a crystalline surface.
These are probably specimens worth collecting, so they might not be representative for what you usually find.
If one can use such a word as usual for something as rare as Electrum.

This rock are obviously in a more common class and should be ok to subject to assays.

So I repeat my question, why do you think it is Electrum?

Edit for spelling.

It's a very interesting specimen looks like it would be mostly silver ? Since to my eye I see little or no visible gold color. If you have other material from the same source you may want to have an assay done. I think you should shop it around and see if you can find a buyer.

By the way I got 24 lbs of Alaskan Leveright from Snowdog that is sitting in my rock garden outside.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Per the bold print - Leveright - pronounced Lev - er - right

For those that don't know what Leveright is - in the world of mining it is a reference to a rock that has no value so you can Lev - er - right there - as it is a rock with no value & not worth picking up

Kurt

Electrum is not a rock - electrum is an alloy of gold & silver - or - silver & gold (depending whether it is dominant in gold or dominant in silver

Generally speaking electrum alloy is in reference to an alloy of (about) 80% gold & 20% silver - or - 80% silver & 20% gold

Both of which are common occurring alloys found in natural gold/silver deposits

So - though a rock may contain electrum - the rock it's self is not electrum

How much electrum is (or not) in a rock is determined by processing to separate the electrum from the rock

From Wiki ---------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrum
Kurt

Electrum is not a rock - electrum is an alloy of gold & silver - or - silver & gold (depending whether it is dominant in gold or dominant in silver

Generally speaking electrum alloy is in reference to an alloy of (about) 80% gold & 20% silver - or - 80% silver & 20% gold

Both of which are common occurring alloys found in natural gold/silver deposits

So - though a rock may contain electrum - the rock it's self is not electrum

How much electrum is (or not) in a rock is determined by processing to separate the electrum from the rock

From Wiki ---------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrum
Kurt
I know Kurt, but what I see on the picture is in my eyes a rock.
But maybe he can see some alloy in there.

As stated by others, electrum is not a rock. Neither is it an ore. Electrum is a native metal alloy of silver and gold. Copper can also be found in the alloy, but in low amounts.

Color is silvery white with yellow undertones to a pale golden hue with a silvery sheen. If significant amounts of copper are present, undertones of blues or greens could be present.

Your rock has the appearance of silver ore, but so do hundreds of other rock types. If your rock has silver, it likely has 10-20 times as much zinc or lead, most in the form of sulfides with a minor amount of oxides.

What field tests have you performed to determine presence of silver or gold? Be specific. If not standard qualitative tests, you will be told to go back and try again. A sticky at the top of the prospecting section has a good tutorial on qualitative field tests. When I prospected areas of Nevada and California’s Mojave Desert, I used a similar tutorial, but that was decades and one stroke ago.

Good prospectors learn how to test various ores in the field. Results of field tests tell the prospector if anything requires further investigation or tests, such as assays of different types.

Time for more coffee.

Electrum is a naturally occurring alloy of gold and silver. I’ve seen it once. Sorry. This ain’t it.

Hmm I did not realise that there was a need to explain what Electrum was😳

As Wikipedia say, the manufactured version is called green Gold.

If you are persuaded you have electrum, it is very easy to prove it to yourself. Just beat off a small sample, and try to smack it with hammer. Electrum will bend and could be forged easily, since it is AuAg alloy. Rock or whatever other stuff will break or crush. And as you will be beating it with hammer, shiny metallic surface will appear. To prove it even further, take it somwhere, where guys have XRF spectrometer. Adjust it on Geochem mode and measure the parts, which you think are gold. Or scrape small sample, smelt it and then measure metallic button (if you obtain any).

This is no rocket science. People in medieval ages were also able to differentiate between gold/electrum and worthless rocks. Just stick to the proven methods of testing and trust them. Not your gold-fever based feelings. It could be very dangerous :)

Back