A simple copper electroreduction cell

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder, I've been tinkering with making jewelry (rings and bracelets) all out of sterling silver and 14k gold filled wire and sheets. When making jewelry you have to anneal it and solder it etc. this creates fire scale on your objects that have to be removed before you can do any more work on them. I have a solution (jewelry business call it Pickle) that is basically citric acid, you heat it to boiling and place your objects into it and it cleans all the scale off leaving them nice and clean. The "Pickle" now contains besides citric acid, basically copper, along with maybe lead and tin from the silver solder. I wonder if this cell that you have made would clean up that citric acid? Now all I need to do is find someone who can refine my OOPes. Some of the sterling has not only the silver but also the 14k gold filled and silver solder (the solder contains silver, tin and lead ....no cadmium), I also have two small bags of pure sterling and pure 14k. I can't get nitric so need someone else to refine it all. Can't even make nitric at the moment.

Back