Any of these caps worth processing?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know they always sorted and such, but couldn't one process them in bulk? I mean if i'm depopulating 100 boards i find taking the ICs like enough of a job, would it be such hindrance to recovery? It can't be worst than processing a simple cucl solution if you want to recover copper and maybe separate base metals.

Last edited:
I know they always sorted and such, but couldn't one process them in bulk? I mean if i'm depopulating 100 boards i find taking the ICs like enough of a job, would it be such hindrance to recovery? It can't be worst than processing a simple cucl solution if you want to recover copper and maybe separate base metals.
Nothing was sorted here.
And if you find components with values inside it will make sense to have a large quantity before processing.
Some components may not pay to process alone though.

Last edited:
Can see this dude successfully getting rid of most plastic, doing something similar where you can leave almost metal alone, then process it altogheter. I mean i do get it but i still find sorting as a huge waste of time, unless you bored and want to (which tends to be my case).
Gas is getting burned right away, I seen years ago one system where the gas is actually saved, also most dangerous part of the system, the bottles fill way faster than one would believe. When talking plastic alone, half that gas should be enough to power the whole reaction of plastic to fuel.

Can see this dude successfully getting rid of most plastic, doing something similar where you can leave almost metal alone, then process it altogheter. I mean i do get it but i still find sorting as a huge waste of time, unless you bored and want to (which tends to be my case).
Gas is getting burned right away, I seen years ago one system where the gas is actually saved, also most dangerous part of the system, the bottles fill way faster than one would believe. When talking plastic alone, half that gas should be enough to power the whole reaction of plastic to fuel.

That is what pyrolizing do, and if you do it right you will decompose all the dangerous VOCs and have a relatively clean process.
If you do it wrong with too low temperature you will poison your close environment and more.
Saving the gas might do that, since the decomposition temperature and retention time might not be upheld,
when burning it later.

The system I had in mind was container sized, and it had two huge catalizers to get the fuels separated properly, but i never stopped to think about the gas, i guess i'm in a sorts of crossroad now.

It depends on what you want to accomplish. Refine or produce fuel? Once you have run the process as shown in the video, the oil still needs further processing to produce useable fuels if you plan on using it in a vehicle. It may run in some diesel engines, but newer engines will have problems with the electronics and can cause problems. I think using as many recyclable products as possible is worth pursuing but there is a limit on a smaller scale that generally isn’t worth the pursuit. 1.5 kilos of material produced one cup of oil. What amount of material do you plan to process that would produce useful amounts of this oil? How much work is needed to turn this “oil” into usable fuel? Is it better to use this new oil to properly pyrolysis and/or incinerate the materials for the refining processes, or would saving it for later use be more helpful?

I think it is a very interesting system he is using and would like to hear more of the processes used after the oil production.

First of all, the biggest problem is that whatever size you have as chamber, you can only fill a rather small part of it, if you want to be explosion safe. (about a third of it i believe, a mixer inside to get everything properly roasted helps a lot).

I think that you can take the oil to a refinery and get fuel of choice, at a loss ofcourse.

I cannot remember the exact process but basically you have two catalytic cells, one for gasoline one for diesel at the end of the system.

Note that you can also power it by microwaves.

Seen really small ops to container sized to building sized, the principle tends to be the same.

Oil itself can be used along with propane for melting metals for example, makes the hell of a noise tho.

There's a whole heap of gear on that pic that was manufactured either with or without PGMs. The only way to really tell is if you have a mate with an XRF. Otherwise it's a turkey shoot, with an awful lot of processing to recover possibly not a lot. If you can narrow them down then it's definitely worth processing the ones that do contain PGMs. Incidentally some of the older ones also contain Pt and Rh however those are harder to come by as the years go on.

You need to take pictures so that the markings are visible.
I see tantalum capacitors.blue sausages are also probably tantalum or niobium.
the best chance of what you are looking for may be in the large shiny "pillows", those that are more squarethe.
carefully cut off the transistor cover, there may be gold under
it rest is trash...

Back