Are these MLCC's?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to comment on the results: I collected a few of each type to test, and they were without exception magnetic. In fact, After having spent hours and hours sorting out MLCC's from my pile after depopulating all kinds of various boards, I ended up with less than 1% of the MLCC's being non-magnetic. In the interest of saving my time for something more worthwhile, I have since stopped collecting them...

Just being magnetic doesn't mean there are no PMs there. It's not mutually exclusive.

Strongly magnetic ones are less likely to have PMs than either non magnetic or slightly magnetic.

anachronism said:
Just being magnetic doesn't mean there are no PMs there. It's not mutually exclusive.

Strongly magnetic ones are less likely to have PMs than either non magnetic or slightly magnetic.

Hmm, that was news to me, from what I've read elsewhere it appeared as an either/or situation. But, regardless of that, I probably wouldn't have kept on collecting them. From my somewhat limited time and space available for recovery/refining, I'll stick with gold for now. We have a quite well regulated system for returning e-waste in Norway, so whatever I don't spend time and effort to collect will still get caught up downstream (Not literally).

The only thing I collect specifically apart from gold-bearing parts are the Tantalum-capacitors, just because they are easy to spot and pick off with a pair of pliers before using rougher equipment to get the flatpacks and contacts.

Well I have slightly different approach. I do not test them with magnet as it seems waste of time, however I do collect all of them including resistors. They add up pretty quickly and if you think about it they will have quite a lot of silver in them when you process kilograms. Another point worth to mention is that they are soldered on small pads which often tend to be gold plated so there is more there than most of the people think.
That sentence in my signature applies to this situation quite well.

anachronism said:

Huh, interesting, I guess I will sort them out and still keep the ones that are strongly magnetic but keep them separate and process them separately. Good advice.

This is great info. I am soooooo glad I found this forum before i just did the You tube thing. Now it has caused me to sit back, strip boards and LEARN first. Appreciate all you guys for sharing your knowledge.
I guess I should introduce myself and get a few posts on here before just asking questions (I have a couple pictures that I am stumped on what is on the board, but don't want to be thought of a a "one shot" question guy that never comes back or participates)
I'm in Alberta, and have only recently started in the ewaste scrapping, have done the major base metals for several years but happened upon a cache of computers and that got me into "all these small shiny things"..... My chem knowledge is average, but I have read about 200 posts so far (yes safety ones second, Hoke first (what a keener)) and have updated/increased that knowledge a lot.
Looking forward to when I can post with intelligence instead of just asking questions. have a great weekend everyone....

Back