Artist wanting to buy your scrap

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmmiiikkkeee

Hello,

New member here, obviously. I'm an artist working in scrap computer parts, primarily hard drive platters and motherboard., You can see some of my work on insta: @mikesilvermanart.

Basically, the things that you don't want I use and the things I don't want you all process for metal extraction.

I'd like to buy your 3.75 " hard drive platters as long as they are unblemished. I'm specifically looking for platters from Seagate, Hitachi, Fujitsu, and IBM drives. The platters need to be approximately .055" thick, which is more of less the standard for the brands I've listed. Maxtor are too thick.

I'm primarily interested in vintage motherboards, although I will buy newer boards as well. They can be stripped of components, but the back of the board must not have scratches, gouges, etc.

I'll pay a very fair price for the above.

I also have CPUs and memory cards that I don't need. Let me know if you're interested.

Happy refining,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I signed up on Instagram to try to send you a message. I have old computer scrap you may be able to use.

Please send a text to my cell phone ???-???-1097.

Regards, Steve

Edit to hide telephone number

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mike,

I signed up on Instagram to try to send you a message. I have old computer scrap you may be able to use.

Please send a text to my cell phone ???-???-1097.

Regards, Steve
Please do not post telephone numbers or emails on open forum unless you love spam mails and calls, use the PM system for that.

Editvto remove telephone number.

Last edited:
You came a couple weeks late, i perhaps have a kilo of platters left, had 210 ibm platters that i tossed into a drum and poured acid. And about 100 non-ibm but most from pre-2000 hdd's.
If you really want I could check and see how many actually left, not sure you'd complicate with such small amount tho.

You came a couple weeks late, i perhaps have a kilo of platters left, had 210 ibm platters that i tossed into a drum and poured acid. And about 100 non-ibm but most from pre-2000 hdd's.
If you really want I could check and see how many actually left, not sure you'd complicate with such small amount tho.
What results did you get from those platters if you dont mind sharing?

Tbh, ran out of acid and alu is still reacting slowly 😅 I can say from the one single platter i first completely dissolved is that while light it is incredibly strong. I will share the results as soon as i rid of the aluminium.
I actually haven't done any experiment and get an actual yield, everything is sorts of half way, even the gold i did dissolve and cement ended up mostly in the cucl bottle and whatever is in the filter with the foils from the telecom pcbs.

Edit: Maybe because no heat source but aluminium takes a lot more acid than I would of expected to dissolve, perhaps melting the platters as a whole then using a electrolitic cell might be a better option, I seen some dude on youtube melting a bunch of platters, again, pretty damn strong foils .:)
edit2: I added 1l hcl to the drum, and solution got a bit brown, why?

Last edited:
A kilo is about 50 platters, I think. That's about the minimum I'd consider. Ideally I'm looking for around 500 at this time. I'll DM you.

Back