Ball vs Rod vs Roll Mills

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A cement mixer works VERY WELL as a ball mill - at least it works "very well" for milling incinerated IC chips & I have used it as well to mill incinerated plastic pin sockets

There has been discussions in the past claiming a cement mixer wont work because the speed is not right for lifting the balls to provide the "crushing" action in the mill

That's just not true

A ball mill needs two things to happen in the milling

1) it needs the balls to lift so that they crash down on the material for a "crushing" action on the material

2) it needs the balls to roll in the bottom of the mill to provide a "grinding" action on the material

Both things can be done in a cement mixer

With a cement mixer you can get more - or less of ether one of these actions depending on the stage of the milling & which one of those actions you want to happen between start (crushing) of milling & end (grinding) of milling

It's a matter of adjusting the angle of the cement mixer to get it to do the task you are wanting at any given time in the milling process

By adjusting the angle of the drum you can get mostly crushing - or some crushing & some grinding - or mostly grinding

:arrow: http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=25489&p=270739&hilit=cement+mixer#p270739

I love my cement mixer - it was a cheap investment for the job

Kurt

Based on your needs and your situation I think Kurt has proposed a great solution for your milling needs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back