Been working thru this mess

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just remember that something that is worth XXXX when gold is worth XXXX an ounce will also be worth XXXX if gold goes uo to XXXX an ounce.

rickbb said:
See how quickly they hang up the phone.

rickbb, In no way I was trying to argue against what you were saying, it`s just that the Boardsort is my go-to price check site, so do you mind sharing the website of the company that you were refering to previously? If you`d like, you can send me that in private message form - I am always trying to expand my knowledge and understanding of e-scrap market :)

And, hey, silversaddle1 please don`t be mad at me :) let me take this opportunity to express my greatest thanks to you - you are currently one of few active guys here who are generally focused on the trading part of the e-scrap business - a realm that I feel I am venturing very heavily towards ;) I am learning very much from your posts and hope to learn great deal more :)

Also, so far seems that mikeinreco really is a stand-up guy, good luck in your endeavors, man :)

BUT:
C`mon guys, enough with this enabling and justification of dubious ebay pricing. I have seen the "free market", "alternative value", "investment value", "buyers choice", etc. argument few too many times here in recent history, and frankly I feel it is time to call it out - it is hypocritical, it is morally dishonest and it is a logical fallacy!
You must agree, that you understand, that it is in the nature of the people (internet users especially :)) to seek the path of least resistance, so you must understand that in a very "meta-way" each high asking price sets the stage for an overpriced market... If enough sellers participate in this circus then it starts a vicious cycle - and eaven good-natured, pure-hearted seller like OP unknowingly participates in price fixing - in turn setting up some poor sucker buyer to get hurt... Ok, it is too philosophical of a discussion - whether getting hurt metaphorically by trade is in any way comparable with getting hurt by acid... So let me just say that, so far, I have always been amazed by the level of care and emphasis on one`s well being, that GRF users dedicate to complete strangers and I do not understand why, when discussion moves from losing fingers to losing dollars, suddenly the position switches to, very cynical "each man for himself" rhetoric...

Of course this little forum can`t save the world or change ebay, but as the front page says "Gold refiners helping one another"... not to mention that it would severely damage GRF credibility if obviously overpriced offers would go unchallenged by it`s members...
/end rant :)

-Artūrs

niks neims said:
C`mon guys, enough with this enabling and justification of dubious ebay pricing. I have seen the "free market", "alternative value", "investment value", "buyers choice", etc. argument few too many times here in recent history, and frankly I feel it is time to call it out - it is hypocritical, it is morally dishonest and it is a logical fallacy!

I don't know, Artūrs, maybe it's loyalty to this forum, or just that I've recently been thrown into a position that I need to make the very most of my stockpile of scrap. Or maybe just my own naivety but I don't really see it as hypocritical at all. It's getting the most out of ones work.

I've put in lot of overtime collecting what I have collected. I've also paid way too much money in the beginning for scrap that I didn't have a clue of it's value until I put in the time and study.

We deal with precious metals. It has always drawn the con artist by the very nature of it's value. I have to think this forum weeds most of that out by it's very nature as well. I have found some great friends here that I would trust with anything.

Believe me, I've struggled with the profit versus refine it all since the beginning. This was supposed to be a great hobby. But the more I learn the more I don't see a problem with selling scrap at more than I would pay for it.

niks neims said:
rickbb said:

rickbb, In no way I was trying to argue against what you were saying, it`s just that the Boardsort is my go-to price check site, I have never sold to them. There are other buyers that pay much better than Boardsort. Remember, if you have 1000 pounds of memory, you're going too get a hell of a lot better price than what boardsort pays. Pretty hard to judge a value by one buyer's quote. so do you mind sharing the website of the company that you were refering to previously? If you`d like, you can send me that in private message form - I am always trying to expand my knowledge and understanding of e-scrap market :)

IRT
525 Progress Rd.
Waite Park, MN 56387

And, hey, silversaddle1 please don`t be mad at me :) Why would I be mad about a discussion? let me take this opportunity to express my greatest thanks to you - you are currently one of few active guys here who are generally focused on the trading part of the e-scrap business - a realm that I feel I am venturing very heavily towards ;) I am learning very much from your posts and hope to learn great deal more :)

Also, so far seems that mikeinreco really is a stand-up guy, good luck in your endeavors, man :)

BUT:
You must agree, that you understand, that it is in the nature of the people (internet users especially :)) to seek the path of least resistance, so you must understand that in a very "meta-way" each high asking price sets the stage for an overpriced market... If enough sellers participate in this circus then it starts a vicious cycle - and eaven good-natured, pure-hearted seller like OP unknowingly participates in price fixing - in turn setting up some poor sucker buyer to get hurt... Ok, it is too philosophical of a discussion - whether getting hurt metaphorically by trade is in any way comparable with getting hurt by acid... So let me just say that, so far, I have always been amazed by the level of care and emphasis on one`s well being, that GRF users dedicate to complete strangers and I do not understand why, when discussion moves from losing fingers to losing dollars, suddenly the position switches to, very cynical "each man for himself" rhetoric...

Of course this little forum can`t save the world or change ebay, but as the front page says "Gold refiners helping one another"... not to mention that it would severely damage GRF credibility if obviously overpriced offers would go unchallenged by it`s members...
/end rant :)

-Artūrs

Let me tell you a story. I've been doing this stuff for now on 27 years. I have had some really good stuff come and go. Once I had a guy from New York in the warehouse looking to buy some boards to refine. He was starting his own refining business. His plan was to buy escrap and have his refining company refine it for him. He had been doing karat scrap for 30 years and was expanding to, as he put it, "an unlimited supply of metals." Well I had a nice pile of 70's vintage pin boards that I was planning on keeping so I could harvest all the pins and stash them. He seen them and had to have them. I said no but he insisted. He offered three times the current value at that time for them. I sold and asked him if he understood he will lose money and his reply was "Any education cost money." He would come out and buy from me about every six months. He passed away a few years ago. The point is that even though we know what something's worth to us, we don't know what it's worth to someone else. My tow chain in my truck is worth 20 bucks. But to the guy stuck in a snow drift who does not have one, it's worth 50.

I rarely get involved in these discussions but I’m a great believer in a free market, if members were melting pins and selling at vastly inflated prices then I would feel it was doing the forum no good service but if memebers are using good photos and true descriptions of what they are selling then that in my opinion fair, I might not want to pay their price and I’m sure many other memebers will feel the same but in truth it’s like going to an auction, you set a price in your mind and someone pays twice that and you can’t understand why but I have to assume they have their reasons or know more than I do.
As has been pointed out several times no one has to buy so I see no foul her, if allowing for fees and charges you can sell for more than the big buyers pay then I say good luck.

So what?
We all have stories selling things for unreasonable price. And probably most of us sell things on eBay for more that they are worth. Me too. But I just don't advertise adds here.
There used to be theme The Best of Ebay for overpriced scrap.

niks neims said:
rickbb said:

rickbb, In no way I was trying to argue against what you were saying, it`s just that the Boardsort is my go-to price check site, so do you mind sharing the website of the company that you were refering to previously? If you`d like, you can send me that in private message form - I am always trying to expand my knowledge and understanding of e-scrap market :)
-Artūrs

No worries, was just keeping it focused on the OP's auction item. I doubt any experienced e-scrap buyer would bother with 8oz. Which is why it may do well for him on eBay.

Obviously if you had tons you would send it directly to a refiner and cut out the middle man, we all would.

In the past I've sent, (or tried to send in Boardsort's case), as identical a shipment as possible, (PC mother boards), to 3 or 4 different buyers. Boardsort didn't want it, said it was too small a batch and then stopped all communication with me. It doesn't matter what price they post if they won't take your shipment, then it has no value at all, at least to them. Which was my point, 8oz is not worth $30 a pound, even to Boardsort.

Of the others cashforcomputerscrap.com took what I had, (gladly I might add), and paid me almost a dollar a pound more than the others. He gets all my e-scrap now, I do check the prices before shipping anything, but they almost always come out on top for price and super quick payment.

Back