Beryllium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Lou, your input is appreciated. Highly toxic substances are inherent to refining.It is very important to protect ones self from the dangers involved. This begins with knowledge, found here on the forum.

Don't thank me, thank the pocketbooks of the IPA who commissioned it.

I was perhaps triggered by the good Thomas M Joseph's post wherein he said that Be--for national security's sake--was tolerated. Indeed I seem to recall the very same utilitarian calculus applied when platinum allergenicity was a hot topic about 10 years ago, making it so far as to get before some regulatory scrutiny down in DC. Of course the PGM industry--knowing that some of the regulations are effectively impossible to comply with pointed out that the number of exposed individuals is in fact, quite small and the number whose outcomes ended up quite severe, even smaller.

All that said, a career in PGM refining isn't a long term endeavor.

EH&S is a difficult thing to do with something as allergenic as platinum and unfortunately chloroplatinates are more or less required to be in the refining game.

Back