Best methods of gold concentrate analysis

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P. S. I can say this with complete certainty since our ores in Ukraine are very rich in gold with a huge amount of rare earth impurities, uranium, and thorium. Almost all spectrographic methods provided incorrect results, but 100-year-old methods of analytical chemistry showed results with an error of less than 0.1% per ton of concentrate (deviation from the calculated theoretical quantity)

P. P. S. The main reason for errors in spectrographic methods when working with complex concentrates is the encapsulation of precious metals in solid solutions of other elements.

It’s easy to analyze only bars and nuggets, and when it comes to microparticles of gold in a crystal lattice, for example, with bismuth, vanadium, etc. covered with a film of organic petroleum and coal polymers, in a fossilized shell of limonite 10,000 years old, then only analytical methods will help since you first need to chemically separate all these substances for further analysis...
This is all very interesting and would make for an interesting thread. But for this thread we are debating methods without enough facts.

This is all very interesting and would make for an interesting thread. But for this thread we are debating methods without enough facts.
We are debating not about methods without enough facts.

We are debating about the applicability of available methods in possible different conditions :)

The number 42 is, in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything", calculated by an enormous supercomputer named Deep Thought over a period of 7.5 million years. Unfortunately, no one knows what the question is.

The number 42 is, in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything", calculated by an enormous supercomputer named Deep Thought over a period of 7.5 million years. Unfortunately, no one knows what the question is.
Well they ended up asking the question of the meaning of life or everything, can't remember just now.
Interestingly 42 was one of the answers of one of the mathematical conundrums recently solved :geek:

Douglas Adams was a programmer as well as a writer, and many scholars of his work believe that the number 42 means the asterisk (*) in computer ASCII, which is a pointer or reference to a variable; also the stars (*) are the source of all life and everything :)

Depends on how you want to use that information, and what purpose it will serve.

If you produce such concentrate, you can be looking for buyers, or assess the profitability of your operation. Depending on how accurate you want to present the cons or assess the viability of the mine/plant, you can seek professional lab which will perform fire assay or some sort of ICP and other stuff to precisely measure the content of high and low value metals. Here you are in the right place to ask very experienced guys - who can help you decide what test best suit your needs, as they have more than century of combined experience in this area.

If you indeed want to sell the cons to the bigger buyer, you would need to claim what you have - and thus pro results will come in handy - serving as good proof of what you have.

On the other hand, if you just need some approximate numbers regarding your cons and also setup used for the recovery of metals, other thing you can do is process a larger sample by a viable method (like smelting the cons in induction furnance+graphite crucible to reduce everything from noble metals down to iron into one metallic puddle), which will give you pretty good numbers on how much of what metal you have in the cons. It also tells you what you can recover with your methods - and thus what is real "yield" from the ore/placer you have. Zinc won´t be captured by this procedure well. Best is to have process sample combined with also pro lab results to compare these two - and assess the losses on particular elements. But metallic product you obtain can be analyzed with good quality XRF to give you quite usable and reliable numbers. And this is cheaper than sending samples for pro ICP + fire assay.

However, I need to say, if you do not have experience with advanced smelting techniques and lack proper equipment, I would strongly advise going with pro labs. Yeah, it can cost quite a bit of money, but you will have certified results, on which you can further build your setup/operation/calculations, or negotiate with potential buyer from stronger, more credible position.
I want to sell the cons. as a powder not metal and I have to know complete and exact analysis of it. Fire assay, XRF and ICP-OES are available instruments for me, I have done many tests and have an estimation of main elements content .I just want to check if any other methods and advice than mine is better and here got a good advices.
Of course I will send the cons. to a professional lab as a third party.

Has this concentrate been melted into a bar?
yes I melt it for the test but no for selling the con.
I test the gold and silver bead by fire assay and ICP, and another two samples were shipped one for XRF and the other one for XRD.
I hope get a good result.

The book suggested by Ultrax was published 70 years ago, when I was 2, so the preferred methods undoubtedly have changed. That said, the older gravimetric methods were excellent, just more tedious than the newer instrumental methods.
Everything that is old is not always unusable. Fire assay is very older method than wet chemistry method but it in some occasion is the best and precise method for assay of the gold.

Exactly!

And, so far on this thread, we do not know if the cons he is holding have been melted into a bar or if they're loose cons off of a gravity table or what they are. As I've said before, and it is applicable here, details matter.
It is cathode of electrowinning of gold cyanide solution .

It is cathode of electrowinning of gold cyanide solution .
Interesting. There was a thread a while back about beads hanging up in slags from this process. Deano, a member from Australia has a lot of experience with this and he has experienced better recovery if the cons are leached in Hydrochloric Acid before melting. Hopefully he see’s this and joins in.

Hello guys!
Geologists normally use XRF as a first-option analytical method in preliminary exploration projects. XRF, especially handheld, main pros include making field logistics simpler & more convenient in rapid delineation of mineral or ore deposits. Main cons include inaccuracies in quantification due to 'bad' sample preparations and also the method cannot detect elements lighter than Mg (benchtops cannot detect C and lighter elements). Additionally, XRF cannot detect some elements including Te, for those interested in analysis of telluride gold and must use XRD to check the structure.
Generally, XRF is good only for giving initial leads as to what the 'whole rock' comprises but at unspoken confidence levels.
To increase accuracy, the sample has to be properly prepared through drying in an oven, seiving, grinding, mixing, quartering & pelletizing all while avoiding contamination.
NB: XRF cannot be used to authenticate a bar of gold at all since2 the X-Ray beam can only probe to very shallow depth into the bar; often a good way to be scammed. Always insist to refining, in hurry!
In whole rock anaysis, it's best to use (each time with an objective) other instrumental analytical methods (XRD, ICP, AAS etc but fire assay is the most accurate for gold) to compliment XRF results especially with one sample all across to monitor correlations.
Cheers and good luck!

ello guys!
Geologists normally use XRF as a first-option analytical method in preliminary exploration projects. XRF, especially handheld, main pros include making field logistics simpler & more convenient in rapid delineation of mineral or ore deposits. Main cons include inaccuracies in quantification due to 'bad' sample preparations and also the method cannot detect elements lighter than Mg (benchtops cannot detect C and lighter elements). Additionally, XRF cannot detect some elements including Te, for those interested in analysis of telluride gold and must use XRD to check the structure.
Generally, XRF is good only for giving initial leads as to what the 'whole rock' comprises but at unspoken confidence levels.
To increase accuracy, the sample has to be properly prepared through drying in an oven, seiving, grinding, mixing, quartering & pelletizing all while avoiding contamination.
NB: XRF cannot be used to authenticate a bar of gold at all since2 the X-Ray beam can only probe to very shallow depth into the bar; often a good way to be scammed. Always insist to refining, in hurry!
In whole rock anaysis, it's best to use (each time with an objective) other instrumental analytical methods (XRD, ICP, AAS etc but fire assay is the most accurate for gold) to compliment XRF results especially with one sample all across to monitor correlations.
Cheers and good luck!
I agree with you that you named some of weakness of XRF instrument, I should add ED-XRF is a standard method for assay gold jewelry and precious metals. It can be calibrated ≤ 1 ‰ for gold measurements, one of the main problems of the instrument is Certified Reference Materials to calibrate the instrument. For each about 50 range of fineness of gold you have to prepare the CRM of that range near the composition of main included elements and they are very expensive especially for gold. I've used XRF to analyze the metal bead of fire assay for precious metals.
Anyhow I've learnt a lot in this thread, and found that analyzing powder of concentrate has a lot errors and it is better to melt the concentrate for more accurate analysis.

Anyhow I've learnt a lot in this thread, and found that analyzing powder of concentrate has a lot errors and it is better to melt the concentrate for more accurate analysis.
That's the beauty of this forum, a free exchange of refining knowledge which has been missing from the industry for most of its existence. And by listening to others and processing what is said we all benefit. I personally have learned a lot from this forum simply from hearing other perspectives and changing how I process information.

That's the beauty of this forum, a free exchange of refining knowledge which has been missing from the industry for most of its existence. And by listening to others and processing what is said we all benefit. I personally have learned a lot from this forum simply from hearing other perspectives and changing how I process information.
Yeah, I see this as an opposite of any "industrial" approach. People exchanging information for free, without expecting anything in return.

In industry, we are looking for best performance and profit. Here we focus on best performance given the few hundred bucks in the pocket. Similar situation, opposite sides of the coin.

And I can truly say that all around the world, there are bright minds that can combine multiple fields of research to one, connect the dots on the screen and see the consequences.

Story of "IBC container hood" was something similar. Bunch of knowledged poor guys discussing options and opinions. This came out, we thought about it, tested it, worked it out, and now it is spread out through refining comunity here.

I love this kind of cooperation.

Unfortunately, I disagree.

Melting process should (!) implies the possibility of the forming of eutectic, the absence of liquation and phase crystallization, take into account the limits of the solubility of metals in each other, and take into account slag and matte formation.

This is all quite difficult to take into account even when melting systems of 3-4 known metals.

Therefore, melting an alloy from unknown metals leads you to direct losses of unknown base metals (usually rare earth) in matte, slag, and hidden internal crystallization (hello XRF).

Therefore, the direct melting method is not very suitable for qualitative analysis of complex ores.

A simple example: if there was osmium in your ore sample, then after smelting the concentrate it will no longer be in the alloy :) And the same thing will happen with iridium and ruthenium.

Last edited:
When looking at processing alternatives the first thing to look at is what the major processing industries associated with that product are using as their methods.
When trying to get a reliable assay of electrowin material for gold values there are two major factors in play.
The first is that it is more difficult to control theft if the material is in powder form, much easier if it is in the form of large bars.
This leads to gold mines producing only bars which are sent to refineries for processing and sale, it at least minimises the theft problem.
The assaying of bars is a much simpler process than assaying powders.
Bars can be drilled to get representative samples or can be melted and a representative dip sample taken.
With powder a large number of subsamples need to be taken in order to get a representative head sample, the problem is always in the sampling.
When smelting electrowin concentrates some of the metals will always report to the slag as prills sized from centimetres to fractions of a millimetre.
These prills have a coating on them which prevents the metals coalescing in the smelt.
These coatings are not only resistant to the high temperature of the smelt but are self healing when mechanically attritted.
If the price are collected by passing the slag through a series of jaw crushers with narrowing gaps and then hand picking the prills from related screens, a high level of prills can be accumulated, much higher than that revealed by milling and leaching the slag.
Smaller prills are separated from the milled slag by tabling the screen tails.
The separated prills can be placed in 20% HCl and left there until the coatings have been removed, heat speeds up the process.
They are then dried and smelted without any flux, if you have cleaned the prills properly there will be total coalescence of the metals.
Deano

I wrote about the problems of analyzing complex ores but not about precious metal powders of more or less known composition after electrolysis. These are just completely different things.

P. S. Also, I didn’t write anything about the problems of accounting for losses and methods of extracting precious beads entangled in slag during the smelting of precious metal concentrates. This is a slightly different topic?

Last edited:
Back