Black sand pyrite sulfides and gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I did notice larger gold flakes trapped after the bucket id gathered from under riverrocks though"

Is this coming out of a flowing water source such as a stream or river? If you are finding this under "river rock", you definitely need to hit bedrock.

James

:eek: :shock:

Seriously??? :mrgreen:

Agree with cosmetal...
There is really a lot of it friend, don't stop
Waiting for more pics..

Incredible!!!! :D :D :D :G

Lol thanks. I couldnt clean the concentrate much more the lead really makes it hard. Its all sizes and weights without a sieve set i just cant seperate it yet.
I did find my first two very small nuggets though! The appearance of globular pyrite but yellowy. Well i tapped the pieces with a pin hammer n they squashed easily. Very soft. But they are dirty on the outside. Another small piece is kindof the right colour but its to hard and was brittle more coppery maybe.
20171111_051720.jpg
Theyre much brighter yellow but for some reason the pics colour is a bit out.
The one on the right i dont thinks gold it was to hard n brittle.

There's an old saying from California's Gold Rush era:

"If you thinks it's gold, it ain't!"

You'll get used to spotting gold real quick with the goodies you're finding. :D

What about the stream or river? Is it there that you're getting the gold? If yes. have you thought about how you could get to bedrock?

Believe me, I know from experience dredging the gold bearing rivers in Northern California. If you are getting this amount of good sized gold from "scratching" the surface . . . you really . . . really . . . really need to hit bedrock, my friend! :!: :G :!: :G :!:

Have fun!
James

I just tried a cupellation of the lead. I used cement with boneash as cupel. I heated and let oxidise rolling it around later on to remove oxide layers. Left it 30minutes with heat although noticeable oxidation had finished and the bead left was this. It wouldnt oxidise further. I squashed it with a hammer.
20171112_154308.jpg
Im not far at all from some of the richest silver containing galena deposits in the country if the pbs values are anything like half those its well worth processing!

Yes i swept the bedrock literally with a dustpan and brush lol.

Im hopefully out again tomorrow il try get some on site deposit pics etc

To best describe the geology, im on an alluvial glacial fan a huge deposition the size of a county. On this later glacial intrusions have terminated and theres a series of moraines with glacial floodwater rivers. On one side of this deposit is a estuary-river. Its been raining heavily here so river will be too high to go to but On the other is the sea. At both my locations the ancient moraine and glacialriver is cut into at 90degrees by the cliffs of either the river or sea.

Sounds like where I live in North Yorkshire - we've got that geography and I live bang between two large terminal moraines....

Jon

Try to discover old Dead rivers around...so u Can work better and faster.
You Need water near to Wash the sand and something for carring the Sand to the water

I use the wheelbarrow for this type of work, and i hide It near the River when leaving so i don t have to take It home everytime

Nice pics :mrgreen:

warmgold said:
so u Can work better and faster.
Please don't use text lingo here. We have members around the world who don't speak English and have to use translators. Text lingo like "u" does not translate well, so we have a rule against using it.

Dave

From your previous posts, it sounds like you have explored your area quite well from the standpoint of past geological records.

Have you ever thought of using Google Earth to further prospect your area in almost "real time" compared to old records?

I use it in my prospecting and I am always surprised at what I can find, especially with placer deposits and their area geology.

James

anachronism said:
Sounds like where I live in North Yorkshire - we've got that geography and I live bang between two large terminal moraines....

Jon

Are you finding native lead? Its worth checking silver content if youre getting a fair bit. I read an old document somewhere silver content may be from 5-12% by weight! Your sat almost on one of the highest silver and barium concentrations in the country according to some historical text ppl used to pick the lead up out the fields and extract the silver which was minted into hammered silver pennies locally.

Im trying to find a sulfide/pyrite/telluride identification method so i know what types worth taking theres tons of it where i am. Actual tons. Colour ranges from red grey brown black green. The galena is most identifiable been so dense. If anyone knows field test or an id document id appreciate it.

Yes ive used google earth. Ancient water level maps. Glaciation maps. Geology maps ive been exhaustive as in used everything i could find over a 6-7month period. Its give some great potential areas to go look.

From last nights episode i learned a lot albeit if i only got 1/4 or half a gram of flakes. The seas washed the beach clear theres no good concentrations to try ive got a video il try upload to utube and post link here.

The wheelbarrows a good idea. A 5gallon bucket of concentrates what are good is unliftable lol. Im going to try get a 12v electric barrow. The 12v battery ive bought is a deepcycle 100amp hours to run the pump. In 12hours it used about 15%. Its heavy and to justify carrying it it needs to be put to more use. Itl increase my production and make work a bit less backbreaking.

Top of the beach in the blacksand ive found flakes. I tested a midpart last night. It wasnt the material i hoped for but most of the beach was scoured to bare bed. I found flakes of gold here too but no really fine small micro gold. I panned at low water point and got only 2 flakes but both bigger than any from anywhere else.

I spent a good 2-3 hours in a heap of erratic boulders the amount of sulfide is unreal. Its the majority of the heap. I was hoping for a nugget lol and found a load of what appears to be small blobs of melted gunmetal or brass. It doesnt half sparkle bright yellow in the headlamp when wet like gold. It soon dulls in colour when dry.

Il edit and add some pics soon

Not all that glitters is gold i found some melted brass see pic. But one piece cuts with a knife and has a silver cut. Im not sure but il get it tested. Its the piece sat on lard so i could get a pic of the knife cut.20171114_145607.jpg20171114_145713.jpg

Attachments

• 20171015_051032.jpg
    20171015_051032.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 20171113_063208.jpg
    20171113_063208.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 156
I got an xrf done on the soft yellow metal what cut with a knife it came back 76%copper 21%zinc 1.6%tin .3%nickel or values very close. Ive misplaced the readout.
I thought id added this in a message but it cant of saved.
Ive managed to do 8 5gallon buckets of black sand tonight only 3-4 inches deep from the bed and scraped it clean.
All from top of the beach from a patch of blacksand almost eroded completely.
I havnt had time to pan the concentrate yet but could see a few small 1-2mm flaky pieces in there. My one concern is i dont think my pump was running as fast as it should there seemed to be a lot of heavy sediment in the cube still. Il post pics of the concentrate and results tomorrow.

Much better this time. From my first pan of concentrates ive got this 20171117_111550.jpg and ive another 3-4 pans to do

Trying to visualize the geology of your area is giving me a headache. :!: :shock: :?: :shock: :!:

To me, it appears that the source of your free gold is from the glacier's "scrubbing" action on everything it passes over. Again, I am neither a experienced geologist or chemist. I am, however, experienced in placer gold dredging.

When we were dredging, 3/4 of our time was spent excavating our hole of the rocks that wouldn't pass through our dredge nozzle. And there were many! :x

The deeper we went into the overburden, the wider we would have to make our hole to keep its walls from collapsing on, and into, what we had just dredged out. Believe me, its a lot of work "betting on the come" that there was good gold on the bedrock! Sometimes there wasn't. But, we didn't continue to bedrock unless we were finding gold on our way down to it. With the help of a wench and rock slings, we were usually moving anywhere from 1m to 3 m of the overburden above bedrock. If the bedrock didn't pay out, we moved back up the hole and started dredging laterally into the area where we found the most gold going down. That is called a "pay streak" and we knew where it's depth was because we were always checking our dredge's sluice box for gold as we created the hole.

The geology of your glacer gold deposits are entirely different from the geology of the gold deposits I found while dredging flowing rivers. You seem to be dealing with "hot spots" and "pay streaks". But yours also seem to be harder to locate because of their randomness. You don't have the luxury of checking the strata of a dredging hole you created while excavating. I wish I could provide more helpful information that is relevant to your situation.

Are there any glacial streams or rivers running through your area?

Have you worked the beaches at low tide with your metal detector? Sounds like your "hot spots" are being washed out to sea.

James

FrugalRefiner said:
warmgold said:
so u Can work better and faster.
Please don't use text lingo here. We have members around the world who don't speak English and have to use translators. Text lingo like "u" does not translate well, so we have a rule against using it.

Dave

Sorry Dave :oops:

20171114_050157.jpg

View south of the beach. At the minute the sand material is typically 5-6ft deep here from cliff to low water mark. This is taken about 3 hours after top of tide. Notice how there is different sand and gravel accumulations building up from gentle wave action.
I cant prove yet as conditions arnt favourable but i believe best gold accumulation is just below the gravel humps on the beach. Not underneath but below. Its where on rare occasion ive found several larger upto 1cm gold in close proximity.
20171114_050222.jpg
Looking north. You can see a slight angle the waves come in at. Its very important to be aware of longshore drift and the dominating winds and current causing this. It gives you knowledge of direction of travel of matrials and which side of a deposit is been eroded and the concentration most exposed. Try starting work on this point.20171113_042758.jpg
Backwash against the cliff bottom. Every tide hits the cliffs here. Theres a constant backwash of waves colliding. Most black sand deposits in about the first 10ft of here. A partial explanation is the pressure drop when one wave is hitting another in the backwash from the cliff. My testing done here ive found the microgold. Fines and small upto about 2-3mm. Its almost all flattenned flaky type gold.

I hope that helps visualise a little james. Im really very lucky as ive a combination of knowledge all learned independantly what collectively seems to help me nail the best areas to look for gold deposits. Ive just never actually looked until recently explicitly for gold.

How you explained looking for gold as indicator its on the bed i did the same last night. I saw a blacksand deposit went to the northerly eroded exposed side and i could see yellow flashes of light in the wet sand on the surface. Somes pyrite but somes gold and it makes sense if theres some on top theres more underneath.

Most of the deposits are very temporary appearing and disappearing sometimes in one or two tides. But the constant state of flux and fluidity almost of the beach deposits mean theyre replenished. If i can compare the coins ive found over the years to gold deposits accurately theres certain areas what persist in repeatedly depositing material. Ive had over 1500 coins in a small area of beach tens of metres in just a few weeks before. The pre 1950dates on almost every one tells me the coins was lost not long after and theyve been washing around ever since. Theyre certainly not static deposits or id of found them all at once then nothing after.

That type of blacksand i look for already is a concentrate and doesnt sluice well in a normal sluice it fills the riffles and moss up. Or the guy who tried sluicing it here with my uncle a couple decades ago had nt enough waterflow. But from memory when they increased waterflow they also blew the gold out.

I think the limitations on the beach here are a good deposit yields about a gram or so every hour of work put into it. But because of conditions like tide working time is only 3hours. Its an hour to get down and setup same when done. Its good for a hobby more than paying for itself but i bet a hard living to do everyday.
How you could be bothered to move 2-3m of overburden godnose you mustve hit some big paystreaks for it to be worthwhile lol

This might sound crazy but i can find more objects eg coins scraping away the black sand in layers and out of gullys by hand without using a metal detector.
Me and 3-4 other ppl have done this for the last 20-25years i guess having that kind of local knowledge of hotspots is whats paying me off so well now.
The metal detector only really helps in finding a covered blacksand deposit or where metal is accumulating on the beach bed.
There is a connection between blacksand metal objects eg nails coins lead etc and gold deposition. Its not guranteed but indicitave. If i add other indicators into the equation and several are there there has been gold everytime ive tried.
An example of multiple indicators for good concentrations here-
Blacksand - the type with not much magnetic
Coins metal lead etc
Close to bed
Undercliff or in rocks
Eroded deposition
Seeing yellow colour flashes in wet sand with headlamp.

Ive experimented and tried just single or double indicators and didnt do well.
I tried just the beach bed and a white sand deposit
The same under the cliff
Gravel and beachbed
Just blacksand
Metal deposits in whitesand
High % of magnetic blacksand.

I was going to try specifically for a day or two to hunt for sizeable nuggets but when i thought about what im about to explain youll see why i arnt bothering.
If half a dozen of us locals who have beachcombed for 25years with good knowledge only 1 has ever found a nugget weighing several grams. Between us weve had dozens of gold coins rings chains brooches etc so we certainly look in the right areas its just a fact large gold nuggets simply arnt there. Were more likely to find a dead body as macabre as the comparison is weve come across several in the years lol.
Gold artefacts turn up on the bed under black sand or trapped under rocks in bottom of gullys and small gold several tenths of a gram in the same areas as im sluicing so hopefully one day just maybe il get a big one..

Fascinating!

Thanks for the pics - not at all what I had visualized.

More questions - but I only have time for one right now. When you are on the beach looking back at the cliff, do you see any horizontal stratification of sand and gravels or is it a homogeneous mix of sand and gravels?

Maybe one more - what is the approximate height of that cliff?

James

"Were more likely to find a dead body as macabre as the comparison is weve come across several in the years lol."

Not exactly what I would want to find in any of my activities.

I have to ask - victims of the cliff or some boating, swimming accidents? No disrespect to the deceased intended, but, they didn't weather out of your glacial till, right?

James

"But because of conditions like tide working time is only 3hours. Its an hour to get down and setup same when done. Its good for a hobby more than paying for itself but i bet a hard living to do everyday."

Completely agree. with that sort of time constraint.

Also,

"Backwash against the cliff bottom. Every tide hits the cliffs here. Theres a constant backwash of waves colliding."

There is no way that this area could be dredged safely.

Your pics definitely helped with my headache. But, I am going to have to admit defeat on any dredging I had hoped for you. The good news is that you seem to be doing everything right in your pursuit (Gold Cube, metal detector, chemical analysis etc.). And, you live in a county where there are many knowledgeable refiners and assayers who also populate this GRF board.

If I was you, I would contact someone in your area with assay knowledge and continue to pursue that path using a professional. At least until you know the mineral composition of what you are dealing with.

Try

https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=84

Hopefully your sulfides contain enough other PMs, and, with your Gold Cube, in 3 hours you could get a good amount of cons once you dial the Cube in and know what to look for. In this case, the placer gold that you find is a freebie that helps to pay the overhead.

Peace and best of luck,
James

Theres been accidental electrocution when someone cut a live mains hanging off the cliff another persons fell off and theres been a couple suicides and boating accident drownings where bodies wash up.

Thanks for the help though. Yes il be getting fire assay done on some samples and Theres good chance il find a better working location yet where conditions are more suitable

I just wanted to post pictures how tiny the gold is what the goldcube has captured. I dont think it comes any smaller! 20171120_074248.jpg20171120_074243.jpg

Cant wait for my classifier set to come its the only way il get it out the concentrate properley and theres plenty in the concentrate

Back