Can Aluminum be used as anode in a silver nitrate/Ag electrolysis cell?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum.
No. The silver nitrate will cement out on the aluminum cathode in stead of electro depositing.
The anode is always the silver to be refined.

Martijn.
Ok I think I got the anode and cathode mixed up. I am still going to use silver shot and then I need another metal to act as the other electrode. I think most people use stainless steel for the other electrode. I’m wondering if I can use aluminum for the other electrode. Does this make sense?

Ok I think I got the anode and cathode mixed up. I am still going to use silver shot and then I need another metal to act as the other electrode. I think most people use stainless steel for the other electrode. I’m wondering if I can use aluminum for the other electrode. Does this make sense?
I got to thinking about your answer. I am pretty sure you are correct. Aluminum is lower on the metal reactivity scale than copper. If copper was used in the electrolytic cell, silver would cement on it. So, aluminum being lower than copper on the metal reactivity scale would also mean silver would cement out on the aluminum maybe even faster than copper. Back to stainless steel......

Back