Can gas mask prevent acid fume?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giahylxag

Firstly I want to say that a fume hood and a good ventilator along with a good scrubber are crucial.
But sometime when open acid bottle in the open air, or somehow some fume got leaked, and you can smell it, very light, but there is acid fume in the evironment.
Is this mask at least useful?
Or this mask is useless?
download.jpeg

Firstly I want to say that a fume hood and a good ventilator along with a good scrubber are crucial.
But sometime when open acid bottle in the open air, or somehow some fume got leaked, and you can smell it, very light, but there is acid fume in the evironment.
Or this mask is useless?
View attachment 61678
It depends on the filter cartridge, but when open the useful life time is very short.
So no no mask with cartridges are useful for anything else than escape mask.
If you have some pressured air masks like in paint shops or similar that can be useful.

Or this mask is useless?
View attachment 61678
You didn't give enough info on the respirator. There are a multitude of designs from a simple paper filter, to complex combinations of activated charcoal, paper filter, and various chemical cartridges relative to the application specific for the respirators needs. But judging from the looks of the one you displayed, the simple answer is no.

Proper exhaust through your hood will eliminate the need for any respirator while refining. Strive for 100 CFM for every square foot of hood opening.
I just hate it when I open a can of acid and the fume just evaporate.
Or my tool, clothes touched liquid and give off the smell for days

You didn't give enough info on the respirator. There are a multitude of designs from a simple paper filter, to complex combinations of activated charcoal, paper filter, and various chemical cartridges relative to the application specific for the respirators needs. But judging from the looks of the one you displayed, the simple answer is no.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000093369/
This is the one on the #1 post
I have tried it and, one thing I notice that I don't smell the usually nasty ordor of acid given close distance.
But, can't say it is safe though, so I ask here

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000093369/
This is the one on the #1 post
I have tried it and, one thing I notice that I don't smell the usually nasty ordor of acid given close distance.
But, can't say it is safe though, so I ask here
It is probably safe if it has the proper labeling.
But only for a certain duration which also will be on the label.
It will not make sense in an economical way though.
That is why we consider them as escape masks.

I just hate it when I open a can of acid and the fume just evaporate.
Or my tool, clothes touched liquid and give off the smell for days
giahylxag, I believe the fumes you're talking about are called fugitive fumes. They're the fumes that you can't really control when refining.

The main refining fumes come from the reaction of the acids on the metals. Lots and lots of acidic fumes. These are best treated in a "closed" system. When I say closed, I don't mean sealed. That is very dangerous without the proper specialized equipment. I mean a reactor of some type, like a flask, that is joined to some type of condenser or fume treatment system. The fumes are treated in one or more additional flasks or similar containers to make them less harmful. After these gasses are treated, they exit into the fume hood or outside.

All dispensing or dosing of acids should be done in the fume hood. That allows the hood to draw away those annoying fumes you're talking about. They're a small amount compared to the fumes generated by the refining reactions, but they will still corrode any metals in your refinery, and destroy your health along with them.

What I'm saying is, you should never open your containers of acid outside the fume hood. That's what it is for, Any time you have the possibility of fumes escaping, it should be done in the hood.

Dave

Or this mask is useless?
View attachment 61678
A gas mask can not prevent acid fumes.

A gas mask should not be used during normal operation, only for cleaning up of spills and accidents.

A gas cartridge will only protect for a short time, depending in the concentrating you are working in.

Once you feel the need to wear one, think about why you would want that, and who else is left unprotected around you while wearing this mask. Before this panic scenario plays out.

With this mask and cartridge combination your lungs are protected against organic and acid fumes for a short time. The cartridge can not be reused another day after opening.

Remember your mouth, skin and eyes can absorb nasty stuff too, so don't work in acid fumes. ever. Figure out a way to prevent that. > A fume hood suitable for the reactions you plan. or: no bigger reactions than your fume hood will allow, while taking worst case scenario's into account. (big freaking red cloud of NOx)

Think true prevention in stead of reactive personal protection equipment.

Back