Capacitor-grade tantalum powder

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Lou here is the situation. I have a friend that owns a company that cleans the machines that makes various computer parts (processors,chips,transistors etc.) I am in the process of starting a small refining company to reclaim his gold scrap and refine it for him. He asked me about reclaiming Tantalum that he cleans off various machines. He tells me it is capacitor-grade tantalum powder. He told me that he throws away 10-20 lbs a month. Any insight would help and be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you,
Mike

I would be interested in more info as well. The older components I'm currently processing have a considerable quantity of Tantalum caps.

From the research I've done so far, tantalum oxide, as recovered from the dissolution of them in nitric has very little value, as it requires a lot of heat & additional processing to get to tantalum metal, which is more saleable, presumably. The solid Tantalum slugs, insoluble in nitric, are easily separated after dissolution.

Mil-spec & aeronautics may have tantalum canisters, as well as tantalum slugs &/or frits. The usual canister is silver, all I've encountered so far have a shrink-wrap plastic label/sleeve. The lead running from the slug is also tantalum, though it usually runs through a nickel sleeve.

One configuration, consisting of 2 single digit LED alpha-numeric displays & a slide rheostat, & necessary electronics, measuring about 6''X4", has 6 of these - the slugs, after dissolution & cleaning weigh .278g each - therefore one unit has 1.668g, or approx. 0.05oz/T. The silver is a plus.

Appreciate any input/feedback.
thanks.
dtectr

Back