Casting a 2tonne block of gold (yes I said 2tonne)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goldsilverpro said:
The Saxons used to etch their gold to enhance the yellow colour.

It's called depletion gilding. Still used today.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=depletion+gilding&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS259US259&ie=UTF-8

I found this in the .pdf:

Sometimes exposure over long periods of time to salts and corrosive chemicals in the
earth may cause a depletion gilding effect. Maryon writes: "It has been observed that
when objects made of gold have been buried in the earth for many centuries a change
occurs in the metal near the surface of the work. Much of the alloying metal, be it copper,
silver or some other metal is dissolved by the chemical action of the damp earth leaving a
thin film of almost pure gold at the surface of the object "(Maryon, p 8). This
observation, however logical seems to me not to take into account the possibility of the
makers having deliberately performed a depletion gilding procedure on the metal.

Irons said:
goldsilverpro said:
The Saxons used to etch their gold to enhance the yellow colour.

It's called depletion gilding. Still used today.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=depletion+gilding&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS259US259&ie=UTF-8

I found this in the .pdf:

Sometimes exposure over long periods of time to salts and corrosive chemicals in the
earth may cause a depletion gilding effect. Maryon writes: "It has been observed that
when objects made of gold have been buried in the earth for many centuries a change
occurs in the metal near the surface of the work. Much of the alloying metal, be it copper,
silver or some other metal is dissolved by the chemical action of the damp earth leaving a
thin film of almost pure gold at the surface of the object "(Maryon, p 8). This
observation, however logical seems to me not to take into account the possibility of the
makers having deliberately performed a depletion gilding procedure on the metal.

This is like the 'halo effect' that many metal detector users are familiar with. The base metals migrate into the earth in contact with the object, causing a localized increase in conductivity.
This phenomenon might be difficult to replicate.
The object would also have to be buried in a strata that matches the period the artifact was supposed to originate from.

This looks like way too much research for a novel. I wonder if I will not see an article in Sun or Mirror in next few months about some major discovery by happy amateur metal-detector-archaeologist somewhere near Gryn Goch...
That Irish bog oak I can send you few pounds if you want... :mrgreen:

Hello
I can't answer on refining but I can give you thoughts on plot.
If the crooks are smart enough to steal 2 tonnes of gold which must have some sort of security envolved why go to the effort to just claim a reward? In todays value the gold is obviously worth more. To go to the effort to make an Altar why not make something more interesting that can create police vs crimal tension, may mould it into a truck body and try to drive it out of the country to an international buyer, or air craft wings and try to fly it ... yada yada yada you get the idea twist it up and ad some unbelievable excitement.
my thoughts

butcher said:
that plane may not fly, gold is heavy. :lol:
depends on how big you make it
retrofit a cuurent plane, hey if they can steal a two tonne block maybe thay have some monetary backing from interested parties.

Well that robbery actually happened in UK. Most of the gold stolen was never recovered.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinks_Mat_robbery

joem said:
Hello
If the crooks are smart enough to steal 2 tonnes of gold which must have some sort of security envolved why go to the effort to just claim a reward? In todays value the gold is obviously worth more. To go to the effort to make an Altar why not make something more interesting that can create police vs crimal tension, may mould it into a truck body and try to drive it out of the country to an international buyer, or air craft wings and try to fly it ... yada yada yada you get the idea twist it up and ad some unbelievable excitement.
my thoughts

James Bond 'Goldfinger.'

Gold was smuggled by making it into car parts.

Irons said:
joem said:
Hello
my thoughts

James Bond 'Goldfinger.'

Gold was smuggled by making it into car parts.

Amazing enough, I have not seen gold finger
I plan to purchase all the bond movies at some time in the future
sorry to copyright owners for idea infringments - lol

Author,
I can think of many,much simpler,ways for our crooks to get the full value for their new find.
I think the problem is that you are not thinking outside the box.You are going on the premise that the government will ultimately end up with the gold.Why not use a method that bypasses the government all together,like lou suggested.I love the bell idea,however most sailboats have thousands of pounds of lead in them used as counter-balances,why not just replace that with the gold.
Another idea I had would be to melt the gold into ingots,weighing maybe 50lbs each,have one of the members travel out of the country,then purchase the ingots as fishing weights?Then simply mail all of the gold right under the noses of everyone.Of course they could always alloy the gold,or dip it, to give it the appearance of lead.Then simply cupel it on the other side.Another Idea would be to make rods,and sell them as welding rods.A million ideas come to mind.
I know it is not what you were looking for,but the idea is to figure out a way to get the full value for it,and you have to remember that our crooks are going to be thinking about an idea day and night.Every waking moment will certainly be spent thinking of a pheasable plan to get their hard earned money and all of these ideas will be very easy,and fast,to make,compared to an altar.
I have a couple of other ideas,but this reply is too long as it is.
If you still insist on going with the altar idea,you can always talk to one of our members mark who made a 125+pound sculture of mickey mouse out of 24k gold.
Check this out http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=6428&p=57655#p57655

Awhile back, there was a series on 101 network (Direct TV) called "Smith". On one episode, they had a bunch of stolen stamped gold bars that they wanted to remelt to change their identity. They also added a little scrap copper that they found laying around to change the makeup a little. They had a real brand-new commercial crucible furnace (I would guess its size was about a #40) in an old barn for the melting. The actual melting was really phony. There was no roar and no bright yellow color in the furnace to indicate it was even heated. They obviously burnt some paper in the furnace to simulate a little smoke. I watched it a second time and listed about 10 stupid things they had done wrong, from start to finish. The consultant they used for this must have been an idiot. Either that or the people in charge cut corners because they thought the viewers were idiots and wouldn't know the difference (this idiot did!). I was going email the errors to them but never got around to it.

After melting, they cast (they didn't show much about how they did the casting) it all into hand tools, such as large wrenches, painted them black, and put them in a big tool box on a truck. Do you know anyone that paints their tools solid black? Also, just putting them together in a box would rub off some paint and expose the gold. Were it me, I would have heavily nickel plated the tools and then done something to make them look used - scratch them a bit and wipe on some dirty grease, maybe. The nickel could easily be removed with nitric at a later date.

The Italian Job(New Version)

Crook sells minted, easily identifiable Gold Bars to the Ukrainian Mafia who run a scrap yard.

One way or another, you pay a tax, either to the Govt, or the middle man. Nobody goes home hungry.

ok out of the box (or out of my mind) AR in a coverted apple factory and rebottle in glass bottles ( organic juice) for export?
or cow urine bottles for homeopathic cure all - they can even name it Urine-Aid - The Yellow Gold Cure

Inquart with copper and make electric cables in rolls. Ship by container. Ready for private nitric acid swimming pool at destination, or refine as needed for expenses. Keep it simple. :idea:

HAuCl4 said:
Inquart with copper and make electric cables in rolls. Ship by container. Ready for private nitric acid swimming pool at destination, or refine as needed for expenses. Keep it simple. :idea:

I would like to see the drop on that one. 8)

Barren Realms 007 said:
HAuCl4 said:

I would like to see the drop on that one. 8)

Me too!. Purchase 6 tons of lead ingots for export, and mix the gold in there before shipment by container, that's even simpler than the electric cables. Many ways to skin that cat...I wish I had that "problem". :lol:

Chumbawamba said:
I thought my tungsten plated gold bars idea was clever (and timely even) but it appears to have flown over everyone's head. Oh well.
Sounds like a good idea to me, after all they tried gold plated tungsten to fool everyone into thinking there was a lot of gold in the vaults.

Chumbawamba said:
At the risk of suggesting an entire plot re-write, one which is much simpler as well, I propose the following:

Everyone is wary of gold-plated tungsten bars, but who would ever suspect tungsten-plated gold bars?

Have the crooks disguise the gold as a shipment of tungsten, filling out the pallet with whole tungsten ingots as necessary.

Once on the other side, the tungsten is stripped in an acid bath and voila: 2 tonnes of smuggled gold.

Pure tungsten plating is very difficult to do. Like aluminum, pure W can't be plated from an aqueous (water-based) solution. It can be deposited as an alloy (e.g. Ni/W). It could also probably be evaporated or sputtered. It must be plated from an organic or fused salt system. A search revealed no pure W being plated commercially. All I found was lab experiments.

Latest posts

Back