Cheap clay crucibles

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ayham Hafez

I noticed many Indonesian E-waste recyclers use smelting process with cheap clay crucibles, they use this kind of crucibles only one time, then they break it to get metal button for further processing.

I found this video talking about same crucibles producing.

I tried to understand what they exactly use for the crucible recipe by YouTube translator, I noticed that they only use clay from agriculture rices fields (as read by YouTube translator)

Anybody have any idea about what they exactly use to make this kind of crucibles? Can we just smelt E-waste using normal pottery clay?

Here another video I shared before for e-waste smelting using same crucibles.

Anybody have any idea about what they exactly use to make this kind of crucibles? Can we just smelt E-waste using normal pottery clay?
Their method is faster and doesn't require a furnace: the higher the rate of sedimentation of gold particles through the molten slag, the faster drops coagulate into a bead.
A usual pot crucible needs to be heated longer in the furnace and takes longer to sediment and coagulate the small metal particles through a much thicker layer of relatively viscous slag.

P. S. Very clever: two cheap dishes are equal to a furnace, crucible, and cover :)
And it’s important that they have almost no losses due to metal evaporation!

Their method is faster and doesn't require a furnace: the higher the rate of sedimentation of gold particles through the molten slag, the faster drops coagulate into a bead.
A usual pot crucible needs to be heated longer in the furnace and takes longer to sediment and coagulate the small metal particles through a much thicker layer of relatively viscous slag.

P. S. Very clever: two cheap dishes are equal to a furnace, crucible, and cover :)
Another clever thing is that the charge is heated directly and not the crucibles.

And it’s important that they have almost no losses due to metal evaporation!
I think you impressed by their method like me, almost smelting cost is zero!

Here another impressed video

They smelt active carbon without any collector metal, the flux recipe mentioned in the comments

They mix soda ash, flour, borax and diesel with the active carbon ash

Attachments

• IMG_20240328_004954.jpg
    IMG_20240328_004954.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1
I would expect heavy losses during these operations.
Before couple years I was in gold mines area in Sudan, they use same process but they only use borax, also use graphite crucible, after finished smelting they wait about 2 to 3 minutes till gold button be metallic and take it from the bottom of the graphite crucible, they use the graphite crucible couple times before they crush and mill it and put it with gold ore to be procesesed again with gold ore in Cyanide.

Anyone has an experience with using sodium silicate solution instead of water to make clay crucibles? Will it gives the ability for clay to resist the high smelting temperature? I think the main challenge of using pottery clay in smelting is to give it the ability to be stretched without cracked.

Anyone has an experience with using sodium silicate solution instead of water to make clay crucibles? Will it gives the ability for clay to resist the high smelting temperature? I think the main challenge of using pottery clay in smelting is to give it the ability to be stretched without cracked
You will need to replace (Na) ions in silicate mass (after forming) with (Ca) using CaCl2 solution. Soak the finished crucible after pressing in the solution for several hours. And you will receive a metasilicate crucible with good 1200-1400C resistance after drying.

You will need to replace (Na) ions in silicate mass (after forming) with (Ca) using CaCl2 solution. Soak the finished crucible after pressing in the solution for several hours. And you will receive a metasilicate crucible with good 1200-1400C resistance after drying.
Can I use calcium carbonate instead? I remember that I see a video for tempering graphite crucible by soaking it in calcium carbonate dissolved in water

Can I use calcium carbonate instead? I remember that I see a video for tempering graphite crucible by soaking it in calcium carbonate dissolved in water
No. Calcium chloride only.
Use replacement reaction: Calcium carbonate or Calcium oxide + HCl.

Updated: Calcium hypochlorite - incorrect. Use HCl.

Last edited:
No. Calcium chloride only.
Use replacement reaction: Calcium carbonate or Calcium oxide + HCl.

Updated: Calcium hypochlorite - incorrect. Use HCl.
Incase I dissolved calcium carbonate in 1 liter HCl till it stopped fizzing, then filtrate the calcium chloride solution, how much water I can add to the filtered solution to make the proper concentration to soak crucibles into it? And how much time needed for soaking? Can I use similar solution different times for soaking different crucibles?

Back