Cody's 15 minutes of fame.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shark said:
I don't care much for the hyper youtubers that do more flash and show than they explain what they are doing. Almost all the king of random videos can be traced back to another users effort to show their progress in a home project and he makes a high quality video of the same thing with all the hype thrown in. Cody is just as bad with the hype/sensationalism. Doing things that involve risk is fine with me, (within reason) Just stop the yelling-blaring music-chest pounding and get on with it. I wouldn't call either of these guys channels Science.

While I like you tube, there is a lot of crap to wade through just to get one honest fact.
I would like to see a single channel that concentrated on using the equipment involved in the sciences. From beaker choices on up, teach some real stuff, from the ground up.
That sounds terrific. Let us know when you get it going! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all, for all the well deserved YouTube bashing it should be noted that Sreetips does an over-the-top excellent YouTube channel that he can be very proud of. And for a couple years before I found this forum I recognized his stuff as a serious cut above the general YouTube channel on the subject.
I also believe Palladium is Aquilla Refining on YouTube and puts out some excellent videos as well.
Nobody owes anybody else to teach them, or me, anything. It’s done voluntarily and by choice. And seeking out the best knowledge and example to follow is a choice as well.
So I just want to thank ALL those who enjoy and choose to share their journey and experience whether it be on this forum or on YouTube. I for one appreciate it very much

ARMCO said:
First of all, for all the well deserved YouTube bashing it should be noted that Sreetips does an over-the-top excellent YouTube channel that he can be very proud of. And for a couple years before I found this forum I recognized his stuff as a serious cut above the general YouTube channel on the subject.
I also believe Palladium is Aquilla Refining on YouTube and puts out some excellent videos as well.
Nobody owes anybody else to teach them, or me, anything. It’s done voluntarily and by choice. And seeking out the best knowledge and example to follow is a choice as well.
So I just want to thank ALL those who enjoy and choose to share their journey and experience whether it be on this forum or on YouTube. I for one appreciate it very much

Huge +1 to Sreetips (Kadriver), Geo, and other video producers, yes! My lunchtime-at-my-desk, Safe-for-work learning time!!

And I'd be remiss to not give a shoutout and huge thanks to all that contribute here on GRF too! I can be a book or visual learner and there is a lot here to learn.

Don't forget Ralph = Palladium on the forum = AQUILLA REFINING on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=search_videos&search_query=aquillarefining&search_sort=relevance&search_category=0&page=

or, samuel-a on the forum = indeeditdoes on youtube = goldnscrap.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/indeedItdoes
http://www.goldnscrap.com/

or, Jeff = Geo
https://www.youtube.com/user/10464jeff

I'm sure I missed a lot of members with good videos. I rarely watch them and I lose track of them.

anachronism said:
Shark said:
I would like to see a single channel that concentrated on using the equipment involved in the sciences. From beaker choices on up, teach some real stuff, from the ground up.

We could do this on here Shark. Then again a lot of people are happy to spend their money on other hobbies like a new gun or a shooting jacket whilst still expecting to get the good results from refining without investing properly in basic kit. There's no way people should still be trying to refine in coffee jars or suchlike. Proper glassware is ridiculously cheap now.

Here is where things went off track as far as my comments. (and this isn't meant to point fingers at Jon, it is meant as an in general statement only) I was confused about that statement, was it an offer or just another statement about how someone could do it. While there are some good channels on youtube, there is a lot that aren't that good. I may not have found the youtube user that teaches those basic's for choosing and proper use of certain items yet, I am still looking. I do spend a lot of time picking apart video's looking at how things are used more than what the video is showing. Example, I learned to fold filter papers from one of Kadriver's videos. Yes, I found some videos that were just for that, but just didn't make it clear enough at the time.

As for me starting it... if I was capable of it, I would have no need for even bringing it up. Besides who would want to see me learning how to do things on my own? Again, isn't that where many of the forum complaints arise? Often we are left to try it then hear how it should have been done. And again, no one member should be singled out to teach someone anything, collectively makes for a broader range of expertise and experience. For all that, a good part of it wouldn't even need to be in video format, (although many learn better visually), just some collective experience on how and/or when to use specific piece's. When is a burret a better choice, proper use of a separatory funnel (one piece I hope to be using before to long), when is a flask better than a beaker, regular funnel or buchner, a lot of things that are minor to many are big questions to a few of us. With all that comes the question of why spend on high end glassware, when someone doesn't know the right way to use it. Buy it now, then learn or have a strong understanding of how before buying?

If you want to know why laboratory glassware is better than kitchen grade, it's likely not going to be one that is found in a video. It's the resistance that scientific glassware has to thermal shock as well as it's hardness. Mostly it's resistance to thermal shock. I can take a beaker from a hotplate and set it on a cold piece of steel and not have to worry about it cracking. Same as I can have boiling water and drop in an ice cube that rests against the side of the beaker and it won't crack.

I will say, that with the thermal shock, I am less comfortable using chinese scientific glassware than I am using used name brand. I just run the used stuff through an annealing cycle in the kiln. It's one of the best ways I know of to clean glass with an unknown history.

snoman701 said:
If you want to know why laboratory glassware is better than kitchen grade, it's likely not going to be one that is found in a video. It's the resistance that scientific glassware has to thermal shock as well as it's hardness. Mostly it's resistance to thermal shock. I can take a beaker from a hotplate and set it on a cold piece of steel and not have to worry about it cracking. Same as I can have boiling water and drop in an ice cube that rests against the side of the beaker and it won't crack.

I will say, that with the thermal shock, I am less comfortable using chinese scientific glassware than I am using used name brand. I just run the used stuff through an annealing cycle in the kiln. It's one of the best ways I know of to clean glass with an unknown history.

Believe it or not, I have had coffee pots (the glass kind :) ) that are made by Pyrex and made from borosilicate glass. I admit they are older ones and dang hard to find, but they are a few left still hanging around. They are even marked "stove top safe", when the writing isn't worn off. My big plus for using proper glassware, besides the quality of the glass, is that they are marked so you can see how much chemicals you are adding. Unless you are adding it in by cups, coffee pots aren't that great for measuring. Even then some use diffrent cups so they won't measure the same from pot to pot.

Some youtube videos are very dangerous to repeat. Even though the person making the video can say "don't try this at home", that is just covering their behinds because they know that people are going to try it at home. I am reminded of the original Anarchist Cookbook. Way before youtube, the book had many hacks and chemical experiments in it. It was so controversial that the authorities tried to make it a crime to possess a copy. It was determined that owning the book was not a crime. Doing what was in the book might be a crime depending on what it was and where you were doing it. That book nearly killed me. I used it to make nitric acid. The process was flawed and was very dangerous. It is much like youtube today. Just enough information to be dangerous.

Shark said:
Believe it or not, I have had coffee pots (the glass kind :) ) that are made by Pyrex and made from borosilicate glass. I admit they are older ones and dang hard to find, but they are a few left still hanging around. They are even marked "stove top safe", when the writing isn't worn off. My big plus for using proper glassware, besides the quality of the glass, is that they are marked so you can see how much chemicals you are adding. Unless you are adding it in by cups, coffee pots aren't that great for measuring. Even then some use diffrent cups so they won't measure the same from pot to pot.

Yeah, the old stuff is good. I would imagine that the new thinwall coffee carafes are also borosilicate. I sort of expect that my Bunn is.. it at least has a good pouring spout!

Back