copper from cell phone boards

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
saadat68 said:
I think mixing sulfuric acid and H2O2 is very dangerous. Right?
Mixing sulfuric acid and H2O2 creates a solution called Piranha solution. Like the vicious fish it is named after, it will eat the flesh off your bones, then eat the bones.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
saadat68 said:
I think mixing sulfuric acid and H2O2 is very dangerous. Right?
Mixing sulfuric acid and H2O2 creates a solution called Piranha solution. Like the vicious fish it is named after, it will eat the flesh off your bones, then eat the bones.

Dave
Sulfuric Acid (alone) will do the same exact thing!

scrapparts

Hi
I have a question
Shredded circuit boards can contain mercury switches, mercury relays, nickel cadmium batteries, or lithium batteries. Batteries are recognizable but mercury switches and relays not for a amateur refiner or labor

So How smelters or refiners deal with this problem ?

I've seen quite a few mercury wetted relays...always well marked. Also always hermetically sealed.

The only other time I've seen hermetically sealed relays was on aeronautical equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another thing to mention is that you are not going to get #1 copper price for that no matter what. You will find many scrap yards will not pay top dollar for stuff they don't know what it is. Even copper bars that are refined and cast are a hard sell at some yards. So make sure you have a reliable market before you go chasing the goal.

snoman701 said:
I've seen quite a few mercury wetted relays...always well marked. Also always hermetically sealed.

Nope. Not always.

I came across a couple of nurse call badges recently. They work by emitting IR signals at a certain rate. The signals are received by IR sensors mounted in the ceiling throughout the clinic.

I had no reason to suspect mercury switches at all. I mean the things clip on to a lapel or a shirt pocket and are in constant movement. I spent hour researching and could find no real reason for it, but they did contain small LED shaped mercury switches.

I didn't know it was what it was until I went to pull the part off and it separated and I saw the little bead of liquid metal in the dome of the switch.

I took a few pics...

IMG_20171029_200224451_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171029_200414898.jpg

In constant movement until one makes a habit of sleeping for two hours a shift in a hidden corner of the hospital.

Useful little gadgets...not only giving out constant location, but also how busy said employee is.

Ah, that's the use!
Not so much on the tracking end but to save battery life when the badge was sitting in a nurses car all weekend. That hadn't occurred to me, I guess I was too dumbfounded at finding Mercury in something so mundane!

And that's probably why the system never got put into use. I'm sure the nursing staff were put into a mutinous state over it. Can't say I could blame them. I don't want my every move tracked either!!

snoman701 said:
They do it by filtering the particles, then electrostatic precipitation of the remaining particulate matter, then condensation of vapor.

Edited to remove crabbiness. But I would strongly suggest to the poster that they work on nailing the basics, and taking advice given in other threads.

Thanks
How small refiners deal with toxic metals ? Do they have condenser too ?
All of users here advice me refine another resource instead of button cells because they contain a little mercury
But electronic scarps have mercury, cadmium, beryllium and ...

saadat68 said:
Thanks
How small refiners deal with toxic metals ? Do they have condenser too ?

For many, they don't. They deal with toxic metals by not processing them. By buying it, and selling it at a profit. For those that do, they invest the time in to studying how to keep these toxic metals in solution.

I would not look to e-scrap as a material source.

If you look at the members here who make money off e-scrap, they make it by buying it in bulk, sorting and evaluating it, and selling it in bulk. They do NOT process it to make money, they process it to determine it's value.

The few select members that are incinerating e-scrap without exhaust filtration and scrubbing are doing so in a manor that is releasing dioxins and furans as well as heavy metals into the environment.

Back