Copper mesh basket for cell. Why copper?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NobleMetalsRecovery

Just wondering, can the mesh basket in a reverse electroplating cell be made from stainless steel mesh instead of copper mesh?

If not, why? What would happen? Also, how about copper plating the stainless steel mesh before using it for a basket?

I'm of course referring to a cell that would be using concentrated sulfuric acid as the electrolyte. Just the normal cell for stripping pins and gold plated items.

Just wondering, can the mesh basket in a reverse electroplating cell be made from stainless steel mesh instead of copper mesh?
Hmmm... right of the top of my head, no.
If not, why? What would happen? Also, how about copper plating the stainless steel mesh before using it for a basket?
I can't recall GSP recommending SS for any part of the cell components. Mild steel is ok.

I believe because SS is attacked by sulphuric acid... copper won't be attacked by concentrated sulphuric (96% or higher), as long as the temp is kept below 100F.
Why go thru the trouble of plating SS with copper... how do you plan to achieve that!?

I got my copper mesh on e-bay. Check some of the sellers:
Amaco 20 inch x 5 feet Impression Copper Wire Form Metal Mesh Roll 1/8" pattern | eBay
I'm of course referring to a cell that would be using concentrated sulfuric acid as the electrolyte. Just the normal cell for stripping pins and gold plated items.
This is a normal design of a de-plating cell:
Mild Carbon Steel Sulphuric Cell

Take care!
phil

Phil,

Thanks for posting. I looked at your tumbler. Great design. I was wanting to do a tumbler. How well do you like it?

I agree with your overall assessment. Just stick with what's proven and works.

Steve

I tried stainless steel. It attacked the basket. Stainless steel does well in nitric acid but sulfuric acid and electricity will chew it up.

Thanks.

Could you please direct me to an existing post on the forum that gives the big picture on setting up and using a reverse electroplating stripping cell?

Also, I did get rooto, should I return it and look for liquid fire?

NobleMetalsRecovery said:
Thanks.

Could you please direct me to an existing post on the forum that gives the big picture on setting up and using a reverse electroplating stripping cell?

Also, I did get rooto, should I return it and look for liquid fire?

I used Rooto, I think it was 98%. The high percentage stuff comes with the bottle sealed inside a bag.

This link may help you;

Recovering Black Powder from the Cell

My experience with Rooto was foaming, due to buffers added to the acid; Liquid fire didn't foam, (no buffers). It's my brand of choice... I find it at Ace Hardware. Make sure you don't by the ones with buffers! 8)

I realize this is an old thread, but this question seems relevant to it. Regarding buffered vs. unbuffered H2SO4, the unbuffered is obviously preferred, but the buffered stuff will still work, even if it does make an annoying foam, right? If I already have some of the buffered version, should I use it in a cell as is, boil off the buffers, or save it for a clogged drain and go buy some unbuffered H2SO4?

Back