Corning ware - a guide of whats what

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
justinhcase said:
I have some quite large bit's of what I thought where industrial pyrex.
But they have the Corning stamp.
So am not sure of what they are and treat as normal glassware.

Those are corning. Well, in a sense... Corning bought qvf in 1973, then sold out in 95, and again in 2000 again, maintaining the name the whole time (qvf, i believe they lost the corning name in 95 or 98 when they sold that and of course their corningware branch in the states), qvf is in the euro market, england possibly?... But, it is pyrex.. Well, borosilicate glass, which is pyrex, and a host of other brand names such as Simax, Borcam, Borosil, Suprax, Kimax, Heatex, Pyrex, Endural, Schott, or Refmex, Kimble.(copy and pasted thst from wiki)

Corning has the original patent for pyrex glass in 1915. Now it isnt made of the same good stuff (some say its better now, some say the flip side), easy way to tell? Borosilicate is clesr, the soda-lime of today has a blue tint...world kitchen ruined everything corning built almost..

Topher_osAUrus said:
I will be adding more to this thread tonight or tomorrow after i get my labwork done. It will all be long winded, nerdy, over explained stuff that almost everyone wont care to read.. But, there may be a couple people who find it enjoyable.

Per the above underlined - I am one of those people :mrgreen:

Thanks for doing this thread 8)

Kurt

kurtak said:
Topher_osAUrus said:
I will be adding more to this thread tonight or tomorrow after i get my labwork done. It will all be long winded, nerdy, over explained stuff that almost everyone wont care to read.. But, there may be a couple people who find it enjoyable.

Per the above underlined - I am one of those people :mrgreen:

Thanks for doing this thread 8)

Kurt

Haha! Okay kurt. I will get around to flapping my gums some more on corningware. For you, me, and anyone else who likes the intricate details to be described ad naseum :lol:

I will have another reply up by tomorrow. Just have a few things to do...

Not gold related, but, i just traded my 06 sti engine and trans for this gem.
05 legacy gt limited.. Lol... I cant get over it!

Yes, the shovels and pick axe were included in the trade

Attachments

• 0502161924.jpg
    0502161924.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 480
I'm hoping this thread can point me in the right direction. I purchased some pyroceram but I can't seem to match the pattern to locate more pieces. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it! I've attached pics of the set. There are a LOT of pieces so I'm wondering if it's a restaurant set.

Attachments

• IMG_4757.PNG
    IMG_4757.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 363
  • IMG_4758.PNG
    IMG_4758.PNG
    211.1 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_4760.PNG
    IMG_4760.PNG
    908.1 KB · Views: 363
Those are some of the newer design that unfortunately are not the original pyroceram formula.

I dont think that its stoneware though, there would be an obvious line on the bottom of the dish where it was fires in the kiln.
It almost looks like the corelle process they use, where it is a thin laminate of tempered ceramic on the outside of another material. Hence the "no stovetop" instruction. Dead give away.

Go to corningware411 and he has sights listed somewhere, where you can order replacement pieces of corning glass.

I also believe that world kitchens website has this offering too

Thank goodness for this site, I have some questions. I recently had a "Pyrex" Storage container explode, presumably from thermal shock. I was aware that World Kitchen doesn't use borosilicate glass but rather soda lime glass which doesn't witthstand thermal shock as well, but figured I was safe as it was only for storage and not used in oven or microwave . Guess I was wrong, I poured warm (not hot) soup in a bowl and it immediately exploded! I don't see how they can call this stuff Pyrex when it's not even made from the same material.
Anyway, that disaster prompted me to look at my other pieces, I do have some older CorningWare fry pans I use for making eggs- P=83-B CorningWare for range and microwave USA (black stamp) which I'm sure is made with Pyroceram BUT my question is about using it on a glass top stove- can it withstand the direct heat from these burners? What about the old Pyrex blue flame saucepans?
Thanks so much for your advice. Sorry if I did this wrong- I'm new and don't know how to start a new thread.

Barbara

I can only say about the skillet and frying eggs, but yes it will work on a glass top stove. I use one of mine quite often for frying eggs on ours. Just keep the kitchen ware separate from the refining wares. For refining I have several skillets that I have used on gas burners that can produce enough heat to melt aluminum with no problems. I will add that I haven't tried melting aluminum in the colder winter months.

http://www.corningware411.com/2013/11/the-b-cs-of-vintage-corningware.html

Personally the only ones i like and endorse are the ones with a "P" designation.
I have never broken one yet except by dropping one. I've used them in a furnace before. I've had it glowing red just like those space shuttle tiles. The thing i have never been able to stop breaking is watch glasses!

I had one of those big ones full of wet cement silver. To get it heated up quickly I turned the electric burner up on high, just for a minute, but then walked away and forgot about it. About five minutes later I heard it pop from the other room. It had shattered into shards. I wish I had taken a picture of it. They are not indestructable. But they can take lots of heat.

kadriver

I have a dish that has the spice of life design on the side the info on the bottom says A-10-B 9 3/4 x 9 3/4 x 2 Corning Ware for range and microwave. It also has a design on the inside that likes like grey and blue lines in a circle. I’ve looked them up and have not see this inside design on any image.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 153
Susankirton said:
Where can I find a guide that will show the market value of my Corningware pieces?

I have no idea this is a refining forum not a reselling corningware forum.

My brother broke my mother's Corning Ware A-10-B. I bought ($21 shipped) an MW-10-B to replace it and my mother is worried it's a knockoff. :shock: I took a couple of photos of identifying marks and I was hoping to find someone that would know these things to render an opinion.

One is a 4 digit number, 3880 and the other the Corning Ware stamp with the model number.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VtDomhp99cBfsVYg9

and

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XotxFGYk3sSC5U476

Thank you so much for any help you can lend.

I do not know if this will help.

http://www.corningware411.com/2013/11/the-b-cs-of-vintage-corningware.html

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk01Qi-yxq4jgE1LDDzRcJXudZqyCqA%3A1583201510862&source=hp&ei=5rxdXuXyMY-x0PEP3eSAuAc&q=information+on+vintage+corning+ware+markings&oq=information+on+vintage+corningware+markings&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.33i299.3190.34885..38580...11.0..0.548.9714.5j37j5j0j2j4......0....1..gws-wiz.....10..35i39j0i67j0j0i131j35i362i39j0i131i67j0i10i67j0i67i70i249j0i22i30j33i22i29i30j0i13i30j33i160.XGhm8BUC1hc

Again I do not have the answer, I just look through the pile of lids at the second-hand store until I find a glass lid that fits, most of the corning dishes have a particular shape and the lids will match. I am fairly sure I found the correct one, or one that serves my purposes well.

The lids do not come into contact with the extreme temperature changes that the dish does sitting on and in contact with the heating source, and thus not likely damaged during use...

https://ageestory.info/identifying_marked.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=corning+dish+lids+identifying+markings&source=lmns&bih=705&biw=1024&hl=en-GB&ved=2ahUKEwjy8K26gYnpAhUNhp4KHdW2BjMQ_AUoAHoECAEQAA

Hi all! I am in need of some help. I bought this piece at a thrift store (pictures below) and I’m not sure if it’s knock off and if it’s not is it Pyroceram? It says 3qt- 2.85L corningWare made in USA 03 9inx13inx2in (22.5x33x5cm) Any info would be helpful!!

Thank you,
Jo-Ann

Attachments

• C9C36F16-E76A-43B9-BAF5-62E8D41BA3B9.jpeg
    C9C36F16-E76A-43B9-BAF5-62E8D41BA3B9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
Back