deabsorbing gold from carbon before fire assay

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Chamberlain

Great Basin geological survey
Supporting Member
I am a petroleum geologist who has been advancing the Great Basin geological survey initiated by Shell Oil Company in the early 1950’s, since organizing Cedar Strat in 1984. My theory that gold was absorbed onto activated carbon (dead oil in limestone fractures and tiny carbon particles in an organic-rich shale) from gold pregnant cyanide solutions was confirmed when we found elevated (5-9ppm) concentrations of gold in two samples along a 16-mile-long thrust fault contact of limestone thrust over shale. The gold pregnant cyanide solutions are the result of tremendous amount of carbon compounds, including cyanide, that began to be expelled when organic-rich shales, the richest and thickest shales on earth, were pushed into the oil generating thermal window by thrust loading and leaching 45,000 feet of strata for 65 million years.

Thirty additional samples along the thrust fault confirm the elevated gold concentrations in the first two samples. The samples were analyzed with a Niton XRF analyzer calibrated with certified concentrations of gold. However, when ten of the samples were sent to a world-renowned geochemical laboratory in Reno Nevada for certified analyses, they reported that only one sample contains 0.005 ppm Au and that the other nine samples contain less than 0.005 ppm Au.

Fortunately, I attended PDAC and found three other XRF manufacturers willing to analyze the ten samples with their instruments. Last week I received the results from Elvatech who found nearly double the gold concentrations that we found with our Niton analyzer. Elvatech also calibrated their instrument with certified gold analyses.

I am waiting for a response from the Reno laboratory asking them if they would consider treating the samples to desorb the gold from the carbon before running their gold fire assay on them. I suggested milling the samples much finer, enclaving the samples, heating the samples with microwave, striping the gold from the carbon by contacting of gold loaded carbon with hot, caustic cyanide solutions or stripping the gold using ethanol, isopropanol, ethylene glycol, sodium hydroxide and demineralized water or other gold elution processes to extract gold from the activated carbon by desorption and electrowinning.

Do any of you have any other suggestions? If we can certify that we have the gold concentrations that are indicted by our XRF analyses, then our 28th of 35 gold prospects may be the largest gold deposit in the Great Basin of Nevada and western Utah. We found the 35 gold prospects by analyzing only a few hundred of the 6000 shale samples collected by Cedar Strat geologists for oil source rock analyses.

[email protected]

Just curious about what would happen if you distilled away, as many VOCs into another fraction, ash the remaining, then fire assay the ash. If there are no VOCs, maybe roasting, then cyanide. Not really sure if you are asking how to proceed after adsorbing into activated carbon, about stripping process, or what. Tell us about what carbon loading grade you got, with how much leached shale, and any rock pre treatment(s) performed.

Welcome to the forum Alan,

A classic fusion fire assay would detect those PPM levels. Usually XRF on powders and rock samples are not reliable. Typically assay results are expressed in troy oz per ton. Just giving a result in PPM leaves open the question of sample size and makes for confusion.

Classically a sample of 29.16666 grams, referred to as an assay ton, indicates one troy ounce of gold for every PPM recovered. Without an indication of the sample size it is difficult to scale it up into the terms typically used when describing a gold find.

Assay results in the US are usually given as troy ounces per ton, pretty well everywhere else in the world they are given in ppm as per international protocols.
Fire assays on ancient carbons have always been a problem area, many of the samples are subject to heavy volatilisation losses of gold.
If you spike samples with gold salts such as chloride and cyanide you have problems trying to recover even the spike values by fire assay or wet chemistry.
Clean modern activated carbon will retain around 30ppm gold after being subject to intensive stripping techniques following loadings of gold chlorides or cyanides.
These residual levels of gold do not report to other types of leaching such as aqua regia.
Natural ancient carbons have also to contend with the presence of naturally occurring base metals which were co-deposited with the gold.
These base metals will enhance the gold losses on stripping of the carbon.
My suggestion for definitive proof of gold presence is as follows.
Prepare several samples of material and carry out XRF assays for gold on these samples.
Samples which show elevated gold values can then have further scans done to determine the zones of highest gold response.
Once these zones are isolated they are then subjected to SEM scans to prove the presence of high gold values.
Both of these techniques are effectively surface scans and thus should show similar gold concentration zones.
If you are seeing elevated levels of gold by both techniques you have your definitive proof of gold presence.
Deano

Back