Dealing with Waste

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HTPatch said:
, I have a bucket of copper nitrate

Patch,

I save my copper nitrate to use an an electrolyte for sterling silver. Dilute/concentrate the copper nitrate solution to 6M (moles per liter) or less and use a graphite cathode and anode. Plate out the copper sponge until the solution is an very light blue color and then switch out the positive lead with a sterling silver one. Bag the anode to catch and PGMs or gold that may have made it into your sterling scrap (ie: gold or rhodium plating). The copper will plate out as a moss. Periodically you will need to dip out the moss so it does not fall off the cathode and end up in the solution. The silver will saturated the solution and remain in the bottom of the cell or in solution.

You can also dehydrate the copper nitrate solution and decompose it into NO2 and Copper oxide at relatively low temperatures (less than 150C). The NO2 can be bubbled into water to form nitric acid or into a basic solution to form sodium nitrate which can be used in poor man's AR or nitric.

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve.

I am not ready to do many of the stuff you suggested yet, I am still very new and have not considered cells yet. My silver was all from silver epoxy and not sterling (yet). I do have a batch of about 1200g of silver being cemented with copper right now. if i want to save the copper nitrate for possible use later, what can I store it in? I do have an empty 2 liter clear glass bottle that the Nitric acid came in. Will that work?

Regards,
Tom

Tom,

You can slowly evaporate of the water at low heat (less than 100C) until the copper nitrate forms beautiful blue crystals. Once all the liquid is driven off you can store the crystals very easily in a stoppered bottle.

Steve

butcher said:
do we have a date, as to when people wrote the post? I can't find it.

Look in the top right hand side of this post to find the date. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Every effort should be made to minimise the amount of waste and to segregate the types of waste at the source of production. Waste should preferably be stored at the site of production and transported directly to the point of disposal whenever possible.
Occasionally, waste itself may give rise to an emergency, such as the fire and flood at the Cleansing Service Group (CSG) hazardous waste facility, or as a result of a breakdown in the waste management service, such as the ‘winter of discontent’ strike leading to accumulated and uncollected municipal waste.

It is really true that people can make best from waste. In Gold refining Business there is lots of waste metals and rubbish comes out.As per my point of view these all waste should be use or replace at proper way because it can be use for making another thing.and one more advantage for deal with waste is reduce the pollution level and decrease the effects of global warming.

Back