e waste mixed hi grade Mystery Metal

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was trying to be friendly and you took it wrong. Looking back at it I can see how you took it wrong. I did not mean it be in a harmful matter. I thought it was actually funny the lumps and dust thing you say and I tried to make a pun off it which I guess went over you head thinking I’m trying to hurt your feelings. That wasn’t my intention. But like I said if you don’t want to help that’s up to you. I came looking for help. If there is not that is fine too. I will continue to do what I have been doing. Reading and learning by myself.

We will come around, this place is for sharing knowledge:

Agold2019 said:
to start I want to say that I have been in the e waste recycling business for the last 12 years looking back I would have made 10 x more refining my own gold than reselling being one of the pioneers in New York recycling e waste in the scrap yard style

Tell us more of what you know, we love practical stories...

niks neims said:

Agold2019 said:
to start I want to say that I have been in the e waste recycling business for the last 12 years looking back I would have made 10 x more refining my own gold than reselling being one of the pioneers in New York recycling e waste in the scrap yard style

I know almost every major player on the east coast of USA and how to price products accordingly is really all I meant. But I’m not interested in that. I have better sources where I am at now. I know how to buy and sell. I don’t know how to refine. I’m interested in learning. I always have been.

Agold2019 said:
niks neims said:

Agold2019 said:

I know almost every major player on the east coast of USA and how to price products accordingly is really all I meant. But I’m not interested in that. I have better sources where I am at now. I know how to buy and sell. I don’t know how to refine. I’m interested in learning. I always have been.
Agold, I don't know if you missed the point of niks neims post, or if you just don't want to share what you know.

Many aspiring "refiners" have come here and ultimately learned that they are better off selling the material they acquire rather than trying to process it themselves. The reasons for the realization are many. They may not have a suitable location to refine, or they may not like dealing with the hazardous materials they create, or they may not have the attention to detail that refining demands, or etc. If they've developed good sources of material, they may decide that reselling their material, buying more with the procedes, and keeping their money turning over is their best option. It sounds like you've deveoped a fair knowledge of that business.

Most members here do their best to share what they know about refining, but we also hope those who benefit from that knowledge will share what they may know in other areas.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
Agold2019 said:
niks neims said:

Agold2019 said:

Agold, I don't know if you missed the point of niks neims post, or if you just don't want to share what you know.

Many aspiring "refiners" have come here and ultimately learned that they are better off selling the material they acquire rather than trying to process it themselves. The reasons for the realization are many. They may not have a suitable location to refine, or they may not like dealing with the hazardous materials they create, or they may not have the attention to detail that refining demands, or etc. If they've developed good sources of material, they may decide that reselling their material, buying more with the procedes, and keeping their money turning over is their best option. It sounds like you've deveoped a fair knowledge of that business.

Most members here do their best to share what they know about refining, but we also hope those who benefit from that knowledge will share what they may know in other areas.

Dave

I think I did miss the point. Or misunderstood the point. I’m happy to share information that is wanted. To start my background was collecting scrap on garbage day with a Toyota car in 2005. Then a few years later my father ran across a dumpster full of electronic components and a business that was throwing everything away. That is how I learned the business. I found a better buyer for us than the guy who was giving us 2.50 for all boards and learned to separate and categorize. I had a few buyers in New York and NJ for different items and bought from computer repair and scrap yards all over New York. Some yards let you cherry pick but it’s much easier to accomplish if you already have a relationship selling to them. Then I moved to Florida and started the same business. I found great buyers in the Miami area. It does help to know what you are talking about and spot on with prices because as we all know if they can get you somewhere they will. So always have two outlets minimum to sell to.

The truth, I made some good money in the business but was never super successful and many things happened and eventually quit but never forgot. I always had an interest for it. Buying and separating and making a few hundred a box i just got sick of dealing with that business and all of the people. It also got harder and harder with competition. I pretty much quit after a refiner screwed me for a bunch of money and my partner pretty much robbed me after we saved up 40,000 Pounds of boards. I always wanted to refine what I had but never knew how or had the money to invest in space and machinery and product all on a chance I may make a return.

Now that I am living in South America I have seen what they have an I feel it’s a good opportunity. The stuff they Throw away is like the stuff I would find in 2010 in New York. I found an e waste yard and the owner was willing to talk without knowing me and no money. If I go with money in hand I know I can buy and the product is old and clean. Plus labor and space is cheap and much easier to get permissions to do things.

Any information anyone wants to know just ask and if I can say it I will. I’m happy to help with anything.

Also to mention I made a post about refining with sound waves. I will update that post as much as I can. My partner in that venture contacted me back today and told me he already has a powdered product and received the blades for the shredder. If all works out with this I will update the post with pictures and information. I obviously can’t give away the whole secret before I know how this works but this is seemingly coming together that something a backyard refiner maybe able to accomplish on a smaller scale. I honestly do not know much yet to comment but time will tell and see what develops. I have not seen the process myself yet.

FrugalRefiner said:
Agold2019 said:
niks neims said:

Agold2019 said:

Dave

Is this really the best that you can do Dave?

He's called out people who have a track record on this forum and yet you still with your liberal attitude choose to engage with him and his entitled attitude over confirmed valued members.

That's not moderation it's rolling over and showing your throat.

Where do you stand ?

anachronism said:
FrugalRefiner said:
Agold2019 said:
niks neims said:

Agold2019 said:

Dave

Is this really the best that you can do Dave?

He's called out people who have a track record on this forum and yet you still with your liberal attitude choose to engage with him and his entitled attitude over confirmed valued members.

That's not moderation it's rolling over and showing your throat.

Where do you stand ?

I don’t want to argue with you or anyone else. But, like I said you took it the wrong way when I said you were a comedian. I thought the dust ball comment was funny. Where you not trying to be funny?

Agold2019 said:
I don’t want to argue with you or anyone else. But, like I said you took it the wrong way when I said you were a comedian. I thought the dust ball comment was funny. Where you not trying to be funny?

You Sir are not a good addition to this forum.

Agold2019 said:
......... By the looks of it now seems to be an English correction board plus laughing at others uneducated expense that are trying to learn.
Agold2019 said:
Johnny5 said:
I was laughing because Jim asked you for "paragraphs..... Please", and you reposted the entire post in paragraphs.
You shouldn't make assumptions, and you shouldn't make condescending posts, about the people that you are requesting help from.

Then my intention to make you laugh worked. You shouldnt make assumptions through text before you get the full story.

This does not look very good for you.

Agold2019 said:
anachronism said:
Agold

Take your lumps mate, dust yourself off and chalk it down to a rite of passage. When you've been on here as long as some of us you'll understand!

This isn't a board that blows smoke up your behind and babysits you but it IS the best for learning.

So- next steps?

Jon

Another comedian. Id barely call these lumps. Dust is more like it. The smoke already has blown. So yes next step or opinions please and thanks.

Adam, this is where everything went wrong young man. Anachronism was just trying to help you, and your reply was insulting, and he responded likewise and I do not blame him.
At this point I am not sure if there is a communication problem, but you made several (what appeared to be) instagatory comments towards him, and then apologized afterwards, and then did it again.
"An apology without change, is just manipulation" Sierra Monaee
insinuating that you were "joking" is not going to work. We all read your posts, and it's clear that you weren't joking, you are only saying that to cover your behind. If you intend on apologizing for your actions, then you should leave out the jabbing insults in your posts.

Better, much better ;)

Agold2019 said:
Any information anyone wants to know just ask and if I can say it I will. I’m happy to help with anything.

Don't mind if I do: How exactly did that refinery screw you?... 20 tons of boards is impressive enough number, also It sound like there is undeveloped e-waste opportunities in south america, why are you so inclined on refining not collecting->packaging->shipping to some large professional refinery? You'll probably make more money that way ;)

You still need to apologize to Jon (anachronism), though. You are a newbie, he is on his home turf, don't drag this out, just sincerely apologize and move on, he'll come around believe me, for now just accept that it is the way this place functions and make your peace with it, If you'll hang around you'll see what I mean :)

anachronism said:

I'm sure you just love when I preach for you to do something :)

Have you noticed an interesting trend in last few weeks... I have a feeling that some moderators are inentionally trying kick-start the forum buy dragging up old threads, trying to ignite lively discussions again, almost as if they feel the GRF community needs some new action, new blood, to not wither away...

There is no need to prove that this guy annoyed everyone and made fool of himself, it is very apparent, but in the interests of this board, give him another last chance to change his attitude, we can always run him out of town again if he starts up :)

I do not know what is going on here, whatever it is , it is not what this forum is about, Here I do not see members helping each other, more like some kind of social media forum where the members act like a pack of dogs that look for a chance to gang up for dinner with the fresh meat.

butcher said:
I do not know what is going on here, whatever it is , it is not what this forum is about, Here I do not see members helping each other, more like some kind of social media forum where the members act like a pack of dogs that look for a chance to gang up for dinner with the fresh meat.

Hi Richard

I think you're possibly misinterpreting this situation and I would politely ask that you consider what I'm about to say as written with the best of intentions. I extended this guy an olive branch, and he threw it right back at me.

In previous years if a new member came onto this site and started out with the wrong attitude he was politely but very very firmly told by a moderator to check his attitude at the door and play by the forum rules. That no longer happens.

Three of the team have commented on this thread and unless I am mistaken not one has done this. You're not seeing a witch hunt of a new member here. You're seeing the signs of the frustration that a lot of members have at new people being tacitly allowed to come here, kick over the rules to suit themselves, demand information and speak to people in any way they see fit. With no recriminations.

You're 100% correct that we shouldn't be doing it, and I apologise if you feel that I have stepped over a line. What I'm suggesting Sir is that we shouldn't need to.

Jon

To get back on topic, you'll need HCL to furhter the process, i think. Eighter for leaching the tin and other metals out before dissolving it in AR, HCL and Bleach, or poor mans AR, for all you'll need HCL. After dropping the gold another rinse with HCL is not uncommon to further clean the precipitated gold.

As a way to separate the tin paste, incineration and a treatment with HCL is mentioned, as wel as going straight for AR and filtering.
some question to think about: will there be any fine tin paste in the gold left? Will AR dissolve some tin paste, or will the nitric in the AR keep it in the tin paste form? a good post to start i think is:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=15324
it describes some different ways of getting rid of tin paste, and the chemistry behind it. read it all and search if you have any questions.

Remember, small test tubes.
test test test.
martijn.

Edit: and make sure you read the waste treatment section and get a stock pot with some copper or iron piece of metal in it.

anachronism said:
butcher said:

Hi Richard

I think you're possibly misinterpreting this situation and I would politely ask that you consider what I'm about to say as written with the best of intentions. I extended this guy an olive branch, and he threw it right back at me.

In previous years if a new member came onto this site and started out with the wrong attitude he was politely but very very firmly told by a moderator to check his attitude at the door and play by the forum rules. That no longer happens.

Three of the team have commented on this thread and unless I am mistaken not one has done this. You're not seeing a witch hunt of a new member here. You're seeing the signs of the frustration that a lot of members have at new people being tacitly allowed to come here, kick over the rules to suit themselves, demand information and speak to people in any way they see fit. With no recriminations.

You're 100% correct that we shouldn't be doing it, and I apologise if you feel that I have stepped over a line. What I'm suggesting Sir is that we shouldn't need to.

Jon

So, I am not misinterpreting that something is going on here.

For us to target a new member because of our frustration, and to try and make a point, is not going to be helpful to the forum, nor is it in line with our forum rules.

If moderators observe members kicking at the forum rules they will warn or ban the offender.
If members observe others kicking the rules, they should bring it to the attention of a moderator.

Members having trouble with other members should try and settle their differences like gentlemen, if they cannot settle the matter in a gentlemanly manner, or if they see a member kicking at the rules they should bring their grievances to a moderator for help in dealing with the situation.

I also understand the frustration with some of our new members who come here to ask a thousand questions with an entitlement attitude, and are not even willing to work to learn on their own, with expectation's of learning how to change trash into gold, something they see as an easy thing to do and all they need is the answers now...

None of us here should speak to people anyway we see fit, Nor should we treat a new member any different than we expect to be treated ourselves here on the forum.

I suggest taking our grievances about how the forum is moderated to the discussion board, bringing your problem out of the dark and into an open for an honest discussion, or debate.

Johnny5 said:
Agold2019 said:
......... By the looks of it now seems to be an English correction board plus laughing at others uneducated expense that are trying to learn.
Agold2019 said:
Johnny5 said:
I was laughing because Jim asked you for "paragraphs..... Please", and you reposted the entire post in paragraphs.
You shouldn't make assumptions, and you shouldn't make condescending posts, about the people that you are requesting help from.

Then my intention to make you laugh worked. You shouldnt make assumptions through text before you get the full story.

This does not look very good for you.

Agold2019 said:
anachronism said:
Agold

Take your lumps mate, dust yourself off and chalk it down to a rite of passage. When you've been on here as long as some of us you'll understand!

This isn't a board that blows smoke up your behind and babysits you but it IS the best for learning.

So- next steps?

Jon

Another comedian. Id barely call these lumps. Dust is more like it. The smoke already has blown. So yes next step or opinions please and thanks.

Adam, this is where everything went wrong young man. Anachronism was just trying to help you, and your reply was insulting, and he responded likewise and I do not blame him.
At this point I am not sure if there is a communication problem, but you made several (what appeared to be) instagatory comments towards him, and then apologized afterwards, and then did it again.
"An apology without change, is just manipulation" Sierra Monaee
insinuating that you were "joking" is not going to work. We all read your posts, and it's clear that you weren't joking, you are only saying that to cover your behind. If you intend on apologizing for your actions, then you should leave out the jabbing insults in your posts.

The smoke has already blown was referring to the chlorine gas after the nitric was added. I’m surprised multiple people took that as in an insult and did not understand a tried but I guess failed chemistry joke.

I’ve already apologized MULTIPLE times for something that wasn’t even meant to be harmful hurtful or insulting in the first place. I don’t understand why this needs to continue and being repeated again and again.

It seems like half the people here want to argue over nothing and find the bad in something that was meant to be a friendly joke. I didn’t even want to reply to more condescending negativity but I’ll try to explain once again. There was nothing intentionally said by me that was instigatory or insulting. Maybe we can just get over it by now? This is going on days of an argument that was a miscommunication by somebody because they do not know me.

niks neims said:
Better, much better ;)

Agold2019 said:

Don't mind if I do: How exactly did that refinery screw you?... 20 tons of boards is impressive enough number, also It sound like there is undeveloped e-waste opportunities in south america, why are you so inclined on refining not collecting->packaging->shipping to some large professional refinery? You'll probably make more money that way ;)

You still need to apologize to Jon (anachronism), though. You are a newbie, he is on his home turf, don't drag this out, just sincerely apologize and move on, he'll come around believe me, for now just accept that it is the way this place functions and make your peace with it, If you'll hang around you'll see what I mean :)

anachronism said:

I'm sure you just love when I preach for you to do something :)

Have you noticed an interesting trend in last few weeks... I have a feeling that some moderators are inentionally trying kick-start the forum buy dragging up old threads, trying to ignite lively discussions again, almost as if they feel the GRF community needs some new action, new blood, to not wither away...

There is no need to prove that this guy annoyed everyone and made fool of himself, it is very apparent, but in the interests of this board, give him another last chance to change his attitude, we can always run him out of town again if he starts up :)

1. Yes I’m trying to stay civil and stay around a bit longer. It was all a miscommunication and I meant no disrespect. As this point I’m really over it.

2. I was buying and selling for years. Off the top of my head I can think of three trys I gave to refiners. There maybe more I don’t remember. The first time we were selling cut connectors from wires at the top top of the market when gold was $1850. I had a deal with a guy who gave us containers of computer wire. We were getting .65 I believe while he was getting .50 so we bought the wire and sold him back the connectors.

After we made some money we decided to give a chance to a refiner I found 6 hours south of us. We were getting paid 4.50 cash outright then he said the guy lowered his price so he started to pay us $2.50. The box we gave to the refiner he paid us out around 1.88 after the 1 a pound lot charge. It was close I guess but did not make sense to do. I do not believe that he was a thief.

The second time me and another partner had been saving a huge amount of boards this is the story I was talking about. We gave smaller lot samples and numbers were coming back amazing. We were not sure if mistakes were made or we finally found a refiner and time to make money. Some of the materials prices were on point and some were too high. We were really not sure. But these were also still smaller lots of maybe 500 pounds each grade. We dropped off about 10,000lbs and the payments stopped.

A few weeks later he explained he was making a mistake and completely jerked us. He even went so far to give us negative numbers on some lots. We were sloppy and had no pictures and even couldn’t find the paper work for some of the old lots so there was really nothing we could do but take loss.

Some other stuff happened in the business and my partner ending up basically stealing all the material from me which was half mine half his and I was lucky that he cut me an $8000 check after I invested months of work and $30,000. I basically went broke at that time because of all that.

Then the third try was a refiner I found in Florida. I met a guy who worked for one so we gave them a lot of high end telecom boards. The guy who worked for them had some boards saved so he was invested in the transaction as well. Again this was a sample to see the numbers before we gave them the 5000 pounds I had saved which we all knew about. He paid me something around 1.50 a pound. I paid .75 cents to shred them :x

3. Yes I have found a place that has high quality product and lots of it. I’m not really in the position to spend $100,000 on a container load to take a chance with another refiner. They know the numbers and if I buy from them I’d be paying industry standard pricing. I found it when I first moved here around two years ago and remember the boards are old and clean with no metals. Where I am at they don’t even buy boards at scrap yards so it is something I can start and thinking about doing but first I’m starting another business right now to get the cash flow to invest. I’m deciding on what I really want to do and which ways to take my life again right now.

Locally for the test I did I was buying clean cellphone boards at $7 a pound and some other stuff for cheaper pricing. This was from the people that fix cellphones. I also bought a few good telecom boards for $2.50 a pound. What I was thinking was just to do higher end material and do some testing myself. I’m not really in the business anymore at this point. I’m just still curious to see what I can get. I also mentioned that I am currently trying to start something with a partner who is creating a method of separation with sound waves in a liquid solution. He told me it’s working and I should have results shortly I am hoping. I will update and post pictures. If he has quality results and it does work I may invest into starting that operation.

I do still have a lot of contacts in the States but like I said containers are not cheap and they are very competitive with pricing. My father just sent me these pictures of a load he got because I texted him telling him I’m thinking about trying to refine. Pictures are attached even some flowers come free. These are already sold though.

4. Sorry John. I want to end this fight now. I did not mean to disrespect.

*When I refer to we it was my father. Some deals and times we worked together some we did not. Also, some numbers can be off by a little. This was all more or less 10 years ago now.

Attachments

• 1719A439-2888-4F74-BB2A-2596A2E2F53E.png
    1719A439-2888-4F74-BB2A-2596A2E2F53E.png
    9.9 MB · Views: 59
  • 2A7D744A-8353-4997-846C-540884299696.png
    2A7D744A-8353-4997-846C-540884299696.png
    9.1 MB · Views: 59
  • 02276C7E-03C2-4A02-9C9D-A5E3380DFFE0.png
    02276C7E-03C2-4A02-9C9D-A5E3380DFFE0.png
  • C9E61B91-ED86-40CD-A578-2C53F1A6C6E0.png
    C9E61B91-ED86-40CD-A578-2C53F1A6C6E0.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 59
  • 53E57BC6-B4D2-478C-A6E2-3B94C3F5F3A1.png
    53E57BC6-B4D2-478C-A6E2-3B94C3F5F3A1.png
Didn’t load with the first set

Attachments

• FA216CD6-CB17-495F-B0C1-4B929C526C15.png
    FA216CD6-CB17-495F-B0C1-4B929C526C15.png
    10.2 MB · Views: 55
  • EF92DCE8-9BB9-439B-833E-2BD3F2E66572.png
    EF92DCE8-9BB9-439B-833E-2BD3F2E66572.png
    10.8 MB · Views: 55
  • F031F484-BA07-4848-AB8F-270412217789.png
    F031F484-BA07-4848-AB8F-270412217789.png
    10.2 MB · Views: 55
  • 7E2043D7-EB24-44FA-8713-FF8D4C274CB5.png
    7E2043D7-EB24-44FA-8713-FF8D4C274CB5.png
    10.9 MB · Views: 55
Martijn said:
To get back on topic, you'll need HCL to furhter the process, i think. Eighter for leaching the tin and other metals out before dissolving it in AR, HCL and Bleach, or poor mans AR, for all you'll need HCL. After dropping the gold another rinse with HCL is not uncommon to further clean the precipitated gold.

As a way to separate the tin paste, incineration and a treatment with HCL is mentioned, as wel as going straight for AR and filtering.
some question to think about: will there be any fine tin paste in the gold left? Will AR dissolve some tin paste, or will the nitric in the AR keep it in the tin paste form? a good post to start i think is:
https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=15324
it describes some different ways of getting rid of tin paste, and the chemistry behind it. read it all and search if you have any questions.

Remember, small test tubes.
test test test.
martijn.

Edit: and make sure you read the waste treatment section and get a stock pot with some copper or iron piece of metal in it.

This is good. Thanks for finding the post for me. This is what I need to look into for my problem. Thank you.

Agold2019,
I think there has been some smoke blown here, but I do not believe it to have much to do with you.

You are new, excited with the gold fever, and are asking a lot of questions (that are basically getting you nowhere without you doing your own background study), you are the new guy, that represents a lot of frustration on the forum.

This is complicated science, not something you learn by asking a bunch of questions, especially at the beginning...

It seems to me that you have become a target for other members' to take out or to aim their own frustrations or grievances of the forum, for this I apologize.

I will also ask you to work on your study of dealing with waste, letting your study become your questions as you find the answers,

There are so many different ways to do things, so many things to learn in the beginning, asking questions from so many people you will get you many different answers, so many answers that you will not know which way to turn.

With study, you learn answers to those questions and gain a knowledge of which way to turn and what questions to ask that may actually get you somewhere.

butcher said:
Agold2019,
I think there has been some smoke blown here, but I do not believe it to have much to do with you.

You are new, excited with the gold fever, and are asking a lot of questions (that are basically getting you nowhere without you doing your own background study), you are the new guy, that represents a lot of frustration on the forum.

This is complicated science, not something you learn by asking a bunch of questions, especially at the beginning...

It seems to me that you have become a target for other members' to take out or to aim their own frustrations or grievances of the forum, for this I apologize.

I will also ask you to work on your study of dealing with waste, letting your study become your questions as you find the answers,

There are so many different ways to do things, so many things to learn in the beginning, asking questions from so many people you will get you many different answers, so many answers that you will not know which way to turn.

With study, you learn answers to those questions and gain a knowledge of which way to turn and what questions to ask that may actually get you somewhere.

The smoke is already down wind. It was a good lesson for me in all aspects. It was a bit scarey when it started to react and I didn’t know what to expect. The YouTube videos are much different. I learned my lesson and to always do a small test first. My goal is to do this with the least waste as possible. I’m hoping my new friend can help with the sound wave seperation Idea which will leave little to no waste. He is a chemist and proposed we should not use chemicals in the process. He messaged me yesterday saying he is the Heisenberg of Pm and he already has a powder. Time will tell and we will see. Thanks for the welcome.

Back