Fashion jewerly

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I got a box of fashion jewerly today for $1.50. what is the best way to strip the gold off of this stuff. It is to my surprise fairly thick, I bent a piece and can see the flakes. I may just try and do that to get most of it.
Would it have the nickel undercoating also? Appears to be plated on lead or zinc.

thanks, Jim

Hi Steve,

Will straight battery acid work in a cell or must I concentrate it?

I am going to biuld one this week. I have some lead pipe, and I have welded up the SS anode already at work. I had/have a battery charger but it would not show any voltage when I tested it today, my father inlaw left it out in the rain - hes real good at that :( .

Jim,

The acid must be concentrated. Just boil it down until it looses 2/3 of it's original volume (for 33% battery acid).

Steve

put 3 pieces of the jewelery in one of the recieps for fake AR and the gold is mostly dissolved off, but the base metal appears to have no reaction at all. I assumed it to be lead or a lead ally since it is very heavy in the hand just wondering why it is not dissolving.

Used 2 oz of KNO3 dissolved in 1/3 cup of water and 2 cups of HCL(muratic) to make my solute.

The largest piece still had most of the gold on it, but 2 smaller pieces are
basically cleaned off. I am going to give it more time. Are lead compounds resistant to this type of AR - I know it is not at good as the real stuff. That would be nice if it is.

So happy, there was a 14k broach in the mix :lol: wieght 1/2 oz on my
old diet scale. ye ha.

Back