Filtering fumes through water

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was chatting with someone at work about an idea for somehow using a water aspirated vacuum system that recycles/scrubs the NOx. I haven't thought about it enough to even sketch something, but thinking about a gravity system. And it's likely to not get farther than "interesting idea".

Edit to add: It started because my friend wants to vacuum distill his own nitric, and described his garden hose aspirator. He said "...so I can flush anything outside in water" :eek: . I said I mostly used my hand pump for filtering, and that I wouldn't dream of mixing the NOx with water and just discharging it in the yard. I don't think he got the message.

I think your best bet is to have separate scrubbers for different gases. Nitrates and chlorides react to form nitrosyl chloride. Aluminum is not the best choice as it is prone to hydrolysis and can easily form Al(OH)3 and HCL again. Soda ash, ammonia, or lime should be used as the base. When NO2 reacts with water, a disproportionation reaction occurs where nitric and nitrous acids form. The latter is very unstable without the presence of a base and forms NO and nitric acid

Back