Get rid of NOx fumes and get stronger nitric acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
samuel-a said:
i have done a little test of my own:

8.5 ml 70% nitric
8.5 ml 3% H2O2
8 grams of mixed pins...

What about the ethylene glycol? Did you work this into it anywhere?

goldenchild said:

no, i didn't. and seems that it wasn't really neccery...

maybe it's just ignorance, but i'm afraid to mix any gly... compound with nitric.

samuel-a said:
goldenchild said:

maybe it's just ignorance, but i'm afraid to mix any gly... compound with nitric.

It has been highly recomended as a good step in the process and I haven't herd of any one havingany problems useing it.

samuel-a said:
goldenchild said:

You do realize I made a video of this experiment? Its safe to mix the ethylene glycol with nitric and h202.

goldenchild said:
You do realize I made a video of this experiment? Its safe to mix the ethylene glycol with nitric and h202.

well... i didn't had any anyway...
it was just for the sake of experiment.
i don't have access to 30% H2O2 either.

but for sure, the next time i'll use 50/50 nitric method it will be H2O2 3% / nitric 70% with no other additives.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/26919014/Metal-Dissolution-Process-Stopping-Nitric-acid-fumes-with-hydrogen-peroxide

Today I took 277.9gms of silver inquarted gold & tried the 50% H2O2/ 50% nitric. I used the 38ml nitric /1 oz. recommended on the forum, so I need 340ml or little over 11 oz.
I added the first 4 oz & after 10 min the reaction was slow & no fumes. I added another 4 oz, & reaction started to increase. No fumes. After 5 minutes, oh boy... dark brown fumes & a 1in. foam head. I slowly added about a cup of H2O2, but still the red fumes & more reaction. Within 45 min. it was 98% done. No heat was used. Red fumes were gone, so I added 2 oz of H2O2 in case it was needed to continue the reaction, but it was over in less then 1 hr. No reaction other than a feeze. On previous batches a used water/nitric & heat, & it took 3 good hrs. Couple good things, I didn't get hurt & I saved 3.5 oz of nitric. :lol:

So I would say that a 75 H2O2/25 nitric mix, for starting the batch would be safer & easier to control. Add any nitric or H2O2 as needed to finish disolving base metals. Needless to say, add nitric slowly.

Please, some input from our experts.
Thanks!

philddreamer

pinman said:
Has this technique become common practice for any of the professional refiners on this forum?

I don't think so. But as soon as I'll get my new lab, rest assure that this will be true :p

Phil, don't forget that you can add ethylene glycol to slow down H2O2 break down.

philddreamer,

When you start with a cold solution, the solution heats up slowly as the reaction progresses. At first, the reaction goes very slowly. As it heats, the reaction rate increases. At some temperature, it will be going full blast. At first, nothing much happens and, because of impatience, there is a tendency to think you need to add more acid. This will really increase the rate and can create foamovers if your container isn't large enough. I always used 5 gallon buckets for this reason.

What strength H2O2 were you using?

Noxx said:
I don't think so. But as soon as I'll get my new lab, rest assure that this will be true :p

It must really suck not having a setup. Your probably hurtin' for a refining fix right about now :lol: BTW what are you majoring in? I graduated myself a couple of years ago from PSU.

Thank you!

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I've been on the project, which by the way I'm rinsin'n to Steve's spec's. Thanks Noxx for answering my Q' on the glycol. I'll use it on next batches. By the way, it looks promessing my drop from the first 69gm of GP's. I'll keep you posted. :lol:

GSP, thanks for your input!
I did realized that 'cause I touched the beaker & was hotter than a pistol! :shock:
I did take the precaution of using a container under for catching the solution in case of mishap. You confirmed my suspicions & I will also be more patiente from now on. H2O2 is 3%. It takes less Nitric when using H2O2 for starting the process; add slowly the rest as needed!

I thank you all!

philddreamer

Just finished dryi'n & weighing the 69gm batch, recovered 1.8gm of gold! :p

That's 1/8th of the scrap I bought. I hope the other 7 parts will yield close to that, ea.

Thanks guys!

philddreamer

Attachments

• 5-2010 002.JPG
    5-2010 002.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 183
philddreamer said:
Just finished dryi'n & weighing the 69gm batch, recovered 1.8gm of gold! :p

That's 1/8th of the scrap I bought. I hope the other 7 parts will yield close to that, ea.

Thanks guys!

philddreamer

Good job!
Is the 1.8 grams in that picture refined once or twice? You can tell by its maroon/brown color that its already of high purity. Make sure to show us your button after its melted!

I see a 15 gram button in your near future. :mrgreen:

AMEN! to that 15gm, that would be sweet. :lol:

The button is about the same as on your photo there. In ended up @ 1.7gm.
I'm prepping the next batches of GP's. I also have a batch of 14k's & 10k's ready for the acids! I'll run them all a second time when I get my first oz.
With this one I have 18.8gm.(under the house!) :p

philddreamer

Attachments

• 5-2010 007.JPG
    5-2010 007.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 173
The one in my photo is 3.1 grams. My very first one and I still have it. You planning on keeping your first? It looks gorgeous by the way.

This is my 3rd. My first was 13.4gm. & my second I melt together w/the first & it's 17.1gm. With this one is 18.8gm..... And growing!!! :p

Check the pic's on gallery, 13.4 slug & 17.1gm.

Back