Glassware

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian S

Can you guys point me in the right direction on which glassware I need to buy? Lets say budget is open. I already bit the bullet and bought a chemker 300 vacuum (got a great deal on ebay) so now all I need is the fitting glassware to get started with AR and refining.
I run a small casting house and will be refining 18k scrap containing some palladium and also 950 Platinum containing some copper or cobalt. Will be only doing 1-3 oz of metal a week for now. Id like to order my glassware all at once so I'm trying to put together a complete shopping list.

All help is greatly appreciated

Last edited:
My advice would be to hold off on buying anything until you've studied enough to know what you need. Once you understand the processes you'll use, you'll know what glassware you'll need. It's kind of like asking what plane you should buy before you've gotten your pilot's license.

I know that probably doesn't seem very helpful, but the more you learn, the more you'll understand what I'm trying to convey.

There are members who use anything from mason jars and coffee pots, to sealed reactors with condensers, and anything in between. Buying glassware right now may just lead to wasting money on things you don't need and may never use.

Dave

My advice would be to hold off on buying anything until you've studied enough to know what you need. Once you understand the processes you'll use, you'll know what glassware you'll need. It's kind of like asking what plane you should buy before you've gotten your pilot's license.

I know that probably doesn't seem very helpful, but the more you learn, the more you'll understand what I'm trying to convey.

There are members who use anything from mason jars and coffee pots, to sealed reactors with condensers, and anything in between. Buying glassware right now may just lead to wasting money on things you don't need and may never use.

Dave
Hi Dave,

I get you, I just thought I need to get the basic glassware while im ordering from abroad, even if its just to start.

Will be only doing 1-3 oz of metal a week for now. Id like to order my glassware all at once so Im trying to put together a complete shopping list.
For these quantities you are talking about small, beaker sized lots. Keep in mind a liter of aqua regia can digest about 7.5 oz of metal. So a 2 liter beaker, with a safety factor of being half full, can easily handle 7 ounces of feedstock.

Once you learn the basics, and get all of your exhaust and waste in order you can easily scale up to meet your needs.

The Platinum will require a reflux type setup to get the heat you need to digest the Platinum in aqua regia. Are you also doin small lots of Platinum for starters?

For these quantities you are talking about small, beaker sized lots. Keep in mind a liter of aqua regia can digest about 7.5 oz of metal. So a 2 liter beaker, with a safety factor of being half full, can easily handle 7 ounces of feedstock.

Once you learn the basics, and get all of your exhaust and waste in order you can easily scale up to meet your needs.

The Platinum will require a reflux type setup to get the heat you need to digest the Platinum in aqua regia. Are you also doin small lots of Platinum for starters?
Yes also small lots of Platinum. Max 5 oz at the beginning

The karat gold will be an easy start as small beakers and a buchner funnel for filtration will be what you need.

The Platinum requires a diluted Hydrochloric Acid as well as the nitric to allow the proper reflux and digestion. I take it you want to generate Platinum for re-use in your process?

There are small reactors available for this process but there are also considerations as far as the toxicity of handling Platinum salts. Look up platinosis to see what you are getting into. Morre on platinosis here

If you start with just the karat scrap to get the handling of the acids and filtration down you can, when you feel confident, move on to Platinum refining as well. I will look for a package reflux setup to do the Platinum digestions in, and post it here when I find it.

In the interim, look into what you need for exhaust hoods and fume scrubbing to do this in your workplace. All of that information is available here on the forum.

I take it you want to generate Platinum for re-use in your process?

There are small reactors available for this process but there are also considerations as far as the toxicity of handling Platinum salts. Look up platinosis to see what you are getting into. Morre on platinosis here

If you start with just the karat scrap to get the handling of the acids and filtration down you can, when you feel confident, move on to Platinum refining as well. I will look for a package reflux setup to do the Platinum digestions in, and post it here when I find it.
Correct, Platinum would be for reuse. A small reactor sounds interesting. Thanks, I appreciate the help. Yes currently looking for a hood and exhaust.

Back