Gold Flashing, what are your thoughts?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damien, the one little tid bit you should know about HCl/bleach is that, adding bleach will turn the solution basic, so it can be a delicate dance to get it dissolved and not turning neutral or basic.

What I like to do with HCl/bleach, is have the HCl warm, just barely...and then add just a couple ml of bleach that is mixed with h2o (i do 50/50). It helps to prevent all the Cl gassing off immediately in the reaction and keeps it in solution, to do work.

Some don't do it warm, as that helps liberate the gas, but I like that it actually dissolves foils/powders in a quicker manner.

Topher_osAUrus said:
Damien, the one little tid bit you should know about HCl/bleach is that, adding bleach will turn the solution basic, so it can be a delicate dance to get it dissolved and not turning neutral or basic.

What I like to do with HCl/bleach, is have the HCl warm, just barely...and then add just a couple ml of bleach that is mixed with h2o (i do 50/50). It helps to prevent all the Cl gassing off immediately in the reaction and keeps it in solution, to do work.

Some don't do it warm, as that helps liberate the gas, but I like that it actually dissolves foils/powders in a quicker manner.

Very interesting! I've taken note, thank you very much!

I'd like to take a moment and say thank you to every one of you that have replied so far! This is a great, responsive website, so respect y'all!

I've struck gold with this forum! ;) (pun intended)

Topher_osAUrus said:
What I like to do with HCl/bleach, is have the HCl warm, just barely...and then add just a couple ml of bleach that is mixed with h2o (i do 50/50). It helps to prevent all the Cl gassing off immediately in the reaction and keeps it in solution, to do work

Try using a long pipette to add the bleach additions to the bottom of the solution. You won't get that instant foam up and release of half the Cl like dripping from the top.

UncleBenBen said:
Try using a long pipette to add the bleach additions to the bottom of the solution. You won't get that instant foam up and release of half the Cl like dripping from the top.

Ben, you clever ol' dog you!
I just bought a dozen pipettes at the science center, so I now have another use for them!
Thank you sir.

Topher_osAUrus said:
UncleBenBen said:

I just bought a dozen pipettes at the science center, so I now have another use for them!
Thank you sir.

Ha! I'm a big fan of pipettes!

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=23362

Topher_osAUrus said:
UncleBenBen said:

Thank you sir.

This is how I'll start out with that process then perhaps! Sounds completely logical to me!

UncleBenBen said:
Topher_osAUrus said:
What I like to do with HCl/bleach, is have the HCl warm, just barely...and then add just a couple ml of bleach that is mixed with h2o (i do 50/50). It helps to prevent all the Cl gassing off immediately in the reaction and keeps it in solution, to do work

Nice tip Uncle Ben. Thank you for sharing..

At $1 each that's about $.9999 too much. There's not even a pennies worth of gold in a single board.

Those 10 boards may not even yield enough gold powder to see.

This may be a stupid question, my apology if it is...

If I processed these boards, and the gold doesn't drop from my HCL/CL, does that have to do with the volume of HCL/CL vs Au?

In other words, if I used a smaller volume of HCL/CL would that allow for the precipitation of the small amount of gold?

If this has been answered I apologize, please feel free to direct me to the right thread!

It will still drop, but you will only need a small beaker, (maybe even a test tube), to do the foils from 10 boards.

You will see what I mean when you filter out the foils from the AP solution.

I would guess that the gold value is about 4 cents per square inch of gold plated area. Like others have said, it would have to be free for me to take it and it still probably wouldn't be worth processing.

goldsilverpro said:
I would guess that the gold value is about 4 cents per square inch of gold plated area.

Are you talking about the really thin gold flashing that can be rubbed off with a pencil eraser?

Well, one of the two types of boards have arrived. Seems to be flashed for sure, at least the big circle is, I can scratch it off with my fingernail.

Oh well, I'm gonna run them in AP and just see what happens. :)

I will no doubt loose money here, but I purchased hastily before I found this forum, so I'll just chalk that up on my "rookie mistakes" list. Ha ha ha.

On a brighter note, I've started my e-scrap business and it's off to a great start! I'm now behind in my processing, as electronics are coming in fast!
Today a man said he's coming to recycle some stuff, he got here, opened his trunk, and it was packed! Two satellite receivers, two older cable boxes, a printer with new cartridges, a cell phone, complete working Pentium 3 system, and a wicked backup battery/surge protector he says still works, I'll be keeping that!

Then just now a broken Wii was dropped off.

Can I get a screwdriver clink? Lol

Wow! So I opened up the Wii, and was completely impressed! For all you scrapers out there, don't pass up a lot of broken Wii!!!

I'm posting this in this thread to allow the difference to be seen between playing and flashing. The Wii motherboard is plated, as it doesn't rub off, and is reflective, where as the flashed boards are dull and scratches off easily.

Attachments

• IMG_0961.JPG
    IMG_0961.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0962.JPG
    IMG_0962.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
Damien said:
Wow! So I opened up the Wii, and was completely impressed! For all you scrapers out there, don't pass up a lot of broken Wii!!!

I'm posting this in this thread to allow the difference to be seen between playing and flashing. The Wii motherboard is plated, as it doesn't rub off, and is reflective, where as the flashed boards are dull and scratches off easily.

Looks good, reminds me of some boards I get from older flatscreen TVs.

You might be better off selling it on Ebay as "non working, for parts only" than recovering the gold from it, or even parting it out. (case, controller, cords, etc.)

So the little boards have just arrived. These look a lot better than the other boards, and I would like to say they are actually plated, and not flashed.
It doesn't scratch or erase off, it is reflective and shiny, not dull.

The real question, how much is on one? How much is on 10? I'll run them and find out!

Attached are a few photos...

Attachments

• IMG_0975.JPG
    IMG_0975.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0977.JPG
    IMG_0977.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
In general, dull is better. As plating builds up and gets thicker, it becomes more uneven as little lumps and bumps form (very, very tiny ones), so the plating becomes less shiny and more dull because the light no longer reflects off of it evenly like a mirror.

Dave

Back