Gold on Nickle stainless steel alloy

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything goes as long as it doesn't form a screen between the electrodes. The current have to reach the object to be deplated. There also have to be an electrical path from the copper to the object being deplated.

A copper mesh is just easy to form and doesn't create any pockets so it is easy to drain when removed from the cell.

It looks like there is several holes in your parts, I would form hooks out of copper wires and have another one going straight over the vessel for sulfuric acid and just hang it from that, that way you can prepare the next one while one or more are deplating.

Check this video and you will see what I'm trying to explain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gCsty84VvA

I have more references collected on this page : http://goldrefiningwiki.com/mediawiki/index.php/Reverse_plating_cell

Göran

Gorans idea as usual is a good one as if the pieces do have holes the plating will be thickest there, I’m sure someone can explain why, so having the current running from them should help to deplate quicker and more completely.

Great video. Is that an aluminum heatsink you are using to absorb the heat out of the hot beaker before you add the ice? I have several large ones I use for welding thin material I'll have to give that a try.
What were the gaskets from?
Paul

I got too excited watching the video, that I had to pause it at 9:30 cuz I just had to say: Wow! Cuz I had already run a few parts and it went so fast! Why hadn't I done this years ago?! I did put my parts on a copper wire instead of a basket, so I could just hang it on the side and connect the charger to it. But I really like the idea of hanging them off a copper pipe! I've already learned, from the video about the foam being flammable. That surprised me. And I notice that as you go on using the cell, that it works faster and faster. I guess that's cuz of the heat it's generating. Anyways,....Whoopeee! I love this stuff! (and thank-you Goran, for the help and the references!) Did I already ask you if we were related? Do you know any Lilja's? Or Thorbjornson's? My last name is Torburn. It's been Americanized. Just wondering.

Hehe, no I don't think you asked me that before.

The part of my family that I have knowledge of comes from northern Sweden, there were a few persons emigrating a hundred years ago and my dad keeps in contact with a cousin of him. I don't know what their family name is though.
Torbjörn is a common name in Sweden and the sons from someone called Torbjörn would be Torbjörnsson in Swedish. I know of one relative called Torbjörn but that's recent and both his sons live in Sweden. Lilja is also not uncommon but I have only met people living in Sweden and I don't keep up with any of them today.

We are around 10 million people here and it's a big country... but you never know until you asked. :)

Göran

Well, I'm almost done using my reverse plating cell. Or sulfuric cell. Whatever we want to call it. I really do wish I had tried this years ago. Everything worked just fine. Now I'm waiting for the bath to settle so I can decant the sulfuric off. The sulfuric is re-usable? I've got to get some nice glass jugs to store it in. I've already filtered my rinse water. Lots of "Black gold" in that. But, still having the water from that, maybe I should use that to dilute the remaining sulfuric acid that has the black stuff in it. I didn't rinse one of my filter papers very well and it turned all mushy. I've set that aside to deal with later. Anyways, I'm really happy with how this method worked. Filtering always takes up a lot of space and time. But that's ok, cuz the end result is worth it. :D I'll take some pics of my little set-up and post them, And then I'll take pics of the little button I'm going to get out of this. And thanks again to everyone for helping me out! Yvonne

The sulphuric is reusable but it needs to be concentrated to work efficiently so store it in air tight containers because it’s so water hungry it will draw it from the air around.

Are there storage containers that are easily accessible that are good for storing sulfuric acid? Like in the 500ml range? By that I mean can they be found in your local hardware store, or do I have to order some?

Back