Gold Refining Forum Sponsored Contest

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Claudie said:
You sure do nice work!

Thanks Claudie. I've always been a person who loves to build things with my hands. Even though my cost has been low up until now i figure i have about 100 single man hours in the project and i couldn't tell you how many more in just the design. I've built it all on the fly and so far i feel good about it. I'm going to do some interesting things with the fume hood design yet and the design of the hoods are such that you can use one for processing and one for melting. Or you can use the melting hood for processing should you have the need which would double my capacity. Both can run independent of each other or together when it comes to air volume. Note they are both identical in design except for the melting hood which will serve dual purposes and incorporate a work station which will make it possible to pour ingots, incinerate, or pour shot all while working at the same station without the need for troublesome movement or awkwardness.

I was going to ask about the design of the ventilation but I figured you would post that part when you were closer to being finished.

Palladium said:
Claudie said:
You sure do nice work!

Thanks Claudie. I've always been a person who loves to build things with my hands. Even though my cost has been low up until now i figure i have about 100 single man hours in the project and i couldn't tell you how many more in just the design. I've built it all on the fly and so far i feel good about it. I'm going to do some interesting things with the fume hood design yet and the design of the hoods are such that you can use one for processing and one for melting. Or you can use the melting hood for processing should you have the need which would double my capacity. Both can run independent of each other or together when it comes to air volume. Note they are both identical in design except for the melting hood which will serve dual purposes and incorporate a work station which will make it possible to pour ingots, incinerate, or pour shot all while working at the same station without the need for troublesome movement or awkwardness.

Ralph, you are doing awesome job...

Where is the jealous icon when i really need it...? :mrgreen:

The fume hoods are supported by a tornado brand fan. I posted the link in this thread a ways back. It was spliced and diced to fit inside a square box I made to house it. The side that sucks through the motor was seal off so fumes don’t enter that side. The whole thing was sprayed with wd-40 until the motor was dripping. Then I turned the fan on after it dripped dry and sprayed epoxy while the fan sucked it through. From the square fan box is a 10x10 in vertical square duct feeding into a 6x24 in horizontal rectangle box 8 ft long that spanned the ceiling to act as a support beam for the weight from above and it functions as part of the ceil structure also. Since I built this box inside a tin building I only had 7 inches of height to play with to make the duct run side to side. So it had to be 6x24 in. In each end of the duct that feeds the fume hood is a 10x10 in hole for exhaust. It creates a real good draw. I’ve went as far as to sitting off smoke bombs at different points in the room to measure both draw and turbulence. From there I selected where my fresh air entry point to the room would be. Believe me when I say it was no easy feat. Basically I started at the opposite end of the system by building the fan and reverse engineered it in a way I guess you could say. Harold was a lot of inspiration for the way this fume system is designed whether he knows it or not. I read about some of the problems he had like the turbulence issues because of the air entering from the sides, expanding, and creating turbulence in the hood. His option was to open a window which gave a steady flow to the hood. I’ve done the same by the placement of the fresh air entrance to the room. This room is completely airtight and where the air enters in a room can dictate turbulence. Both the fume hoods will be equipped with filters as well as the fresh air intake into the room as well to stop dust. Inside the exhaust vents after the filters I have installed a couple of pieces of copper bar as well as at the exhaust flap after the fan to measure if any precious metals are making it past the filters through to any part of the system. Harold also spoke of the importance of checking downstream for this. I've learned a lot from others.

Palladium said:
I almost forgot to list the cost of missing a nail with a 16oz eastwing hammer. No guts, No glory. lol

good thing you didnt buy the 20 oz eastwing hammer, i have had a few of those & a few in the forehead :D

Hey Ralph,

As soon as I get into a new place, I'll get in the race for this one, I've got some toys and ideas I'm eager to play with and try out!

Hello, good night, I am still manufacturing my equipment and looking for a place to work away from home, anyway I will publish something as realities become.

Paco

Back