Green Crystals in Ore

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mousewallrat

I was blowing up a picture of some ore in one of my mining claims, and noticed green crystals in it. Olivine and Peridot are supposed to be in mafic and ultramafic deposits (whatever those are), so I have no clue. Perhaps one of you gentlemen can educate me? You’ll have to expand this quite a bit.

Attachments

• 296FE72C-13C3-4187-A229-6A32E7408936.jpeg
    296FE72C-13C3-4187-A229-6A32E7408936.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 1
Just the rockhound in me guess. Your claim looks to be metamorphosed granite. Those green deposits might be beryl or amazonite, a feldspar.

With the blue and green, it might be copper oxides (azurite and malachite). Take a rock with the green, add a couple of drops of HCl to the green and then rub the solution on raw steel (like a rock hammer). If you have a distinctive copper color plating out you have your answer.

Copper Ores will be soft especially malachite and azurite is idiochromatic so it is always dark blue, The minerals I perceive from the picture are harder silicates in a massive state. See if a pen knife bites into the deposit, it should not if I am correct.

I had been looking at the muted green what looks to be staining to the right of the penknife. Just below the knife and off to the right near the pine needle are small turquoise color deposits and yes these look like copper minerals. Peridot and olivine are green to green brown and never show blue overtones.

This is a copper wire specimen with prehnite, the yellowish green, and what looks to be the same copper minerals, turquoise color, that is in your specimen.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 7.13.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 7.13.30 PM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
What you have is a variety of copper minerals. Mostly oxides.

If you ever find olivine or peridot crystals, you will know and never forget.

Time for more coffee.

Latest posts

Back