Help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember the accident in Brazil!!!
Goiânia accident - Wikipedia

Be extremly prepared, sure you have the knowledge and a geiger instrument before scrap these types of machines. Perhaps IAEA made some instructions after this what they called: One of the worlds worst radiological accidents.
Did you red my quote earlier, if it is a Xray machine it has no radioactive isotopes or radiation source.
The radiation in X ray machines are created by electron rays.
Which means they are safe when disconnected.

The Brazil incident was a radiation device for treating Cancers and they contain Cobolt 60 or something similar.
That said, when handling unknown scrap from the medical industry a Geiger counter is a cheap insurance.
Especially small heavy containers, needs to be treated with respect.

Did you red my quote earlier, if it is a Xray machine it has no radioactive isotopes or radiation source.
The radiation in X ray machines are created by electron rays.
Which means they are safe when disconnected.

The Brazil incident was a radiation device for treating Cancers and they contain Cobolt 60 or something similar.
That said, when handling unknown scrap from the medical industry a Geiger counter is a cheap insurance.
Especially small heavy containers, needs to be treated with respect.
Yes i did. But since I can not always tell the diffrence when I see the 2 typers of equippment and the possible outcome can be a disaster I feel a warning is ok.
If you do not know what metall you get from the machine you do not know the machine you scrapping. The shape of the scrap could very well be from a container. If heavy it migth be a shield alloy.

Personally i would not put my fingers on those type of equippment that can potentially be so harmfull, if mistaken. But leave them for proffessionals knowing their trade. In this case safty equipment is missing as well good knowledge about what he is scrapping. I have seen so much crazy things laying around at old dumpsites, scrapyards and former industries that i am extremly careful when looking around. I have found shells, cyanide and a lot other scary things.

The problem is if Joe now starts to look for this type of scrap and get hold of an old machine a 94 year old Doctor, with altsheimers, have in this garage. The chance is very little but the possible outcome a disaster.

Yes i did. But since I can not always tell the diffrence when I see the 2 typers of equippment and the possible outcome can be a disaster I feel a warning is ok.
If you do not know what metall you get from the machine you do not know the machine you scrapping. The shape of the scrap could very well be from a container. If heavy it migth be a shield alloy.

Personally i would not put my fingers on those type of equippment that can potentially be so harmfull, if mistaken. But leave them for proffessionals knowing their trade. In this case safty equipment is missing as well good knowledge about what he is scrapping. I have seen so much crazy things laying around at old dumpsites, scrapyards and former industries that i am extremly careful when looking around. I have found shells, cyanide and a lot other scary things.

The problem is if Joe now starts to look for this type of scrap and get hold of an old machine a 94 year old Doctor, with altsheimers, have in this garage. The chance is very little but the possible outcome a disaster.
I agree, but when scrapping this kind of equipment it is paramount to check its origin and data.
Geiger machines don’t cost that much I guess, so it is wise to have them around, just in case😏

Interesting....
I have no experience with this type of equipment so I've always thought they all contain a source.
No Xrays are produced basically by forcing a very high current tube potential through a vacuum to strike the anode.
Look out for any of the Radiological treatment systems most contain cadmium-113.
Also of some concern are the Russian radioisotope generators that are still unaccounted for.

No Xrays are produced basically by forcing a very high current tube potential through a vacuum to strike the anode.
Look out for any of the Radiological treatment systems most contain cadmium-113.
Also of some concern are the Russian radioisotope generators that are still unaccounted for.
Just out of curiosity I did a search and the most widely used isotope is Tc 99, it counts for 80%
Co 60 is preferred over Cs 137 for high energy gamma rays due to its longer half life, high melting point and less potential to oxidize.

I agree, but when scrapping this kind of equipment it is paramount to check its origin and data.
Geiger machines don’t cost that much I guess, so it is wise to have them around, just in case😏
I am a forester and i have used it in my work, for checking timber and pulpwood. Even wood can suffer from radiation today, picking up radioactive isotopes and accumulate in the wood. Tjernobyl messed up a lot of areas.

I also always test some suspicios material, espetially soviet made. You never know. And this is certainly thing you don´t want to undergo, even with near zero chances. Always Geiger in hand :) On Aliexpress, you can buy relatively OK pocket instruments under 50 euros. They cannot do alpha radiation, but are sufficient for alerting you there is something radiating. I have BOSEAN FS-600 (some strange chinese brand from Ali), and it works OK, get reading from uranium ore or thorium materials easily. To "make sure", it is sufficient. For some more precise dose calculations and stuff, I wouldn´t rely on that.

I really think you have an exotic specific alloy that could be worth quite a bit, which you will know as soon as you analyze it with an XRF.
I don't think there is any gold in it.
Make sure the dataset is big enough to check for all metals.
This recycle center sorts material on sight and maybe magnetism only? They're very likely losing money if they recycle professional equipment where very uncommon and expensive alloys are used.
There are a bunch of different types of stainless steel, aluminum, bronze and brass, etc.

I do not know if any radioactivity the material has been exposed to in the past interferes with the xrf reading.

are you in the states?
Yes sir in Cali

Back