Hi, can anyone help me with best way to monetize what seems to be high quality Rhodium Palladium ore?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a XRF at a local jewelry store and the readings were pretty good. I've had some pulverized and I'm currently looking for an assay facility. Rh(Rhodium),Pd(Palladium), Ag(Silver), Ru(Ruthenium), Cu(Copper) (trace Gold)View attachment 58238
You would need a NiS assay for that. Be aware that a XRF in precious metal mode is not reliable for ore.
It frequently identifies Arsenic and other elements as Rh and or Ir.

Yggdrasil is in Norway. Hard for him to recommend any particular business in the US.

If Lou notices your post, he may suggest a lab or two. Wait a day or two. Someone should chime in with a suggestion.

Time for more coffee.

Ledoux and Co. in Teaneck, NJ
SGS Lakefield, somewhere cold in Canada
Axium Scientific, Reno, NV
ACT LABS (for activation laboratories), somewhere less cold in Canada

As is nearly always the case, when Lou has time, he gives good advice. Well done, sir.

Time for more coffee.

I agree completely about XRF misidentifying in ores. why not put some in solution with some AQR variation and go through a couple of refining steps. If it reads good for Pd let's say then that's an easy visual test to see if any of it is real. I've had this same XRF flaw on my ores.

I have kilos of Braggite that have been properly assayed. The contents are generally 60% Pt, 20% Ni, 17% PD, 3% other. XRF consistently gives erroneous readouts because it picks up iron in the surface traces of matrix and dirt on uncleaned nuggets. The nuggets are very crystalline, thoroughly cleaning to remove matrix, soil and iron oxide can be lengthy and complex to do safely and compliantly. I don't even bother with XRF for this anymore. We save some nuggets as specimens, they're beauties. I'll post a few select photos soon. I'm having a THR procedure soon, so expect posts afterwards.

If you're cleaning braggite nuggets, you need to read in Hoke about how to remove iron oxides from an alloy of PT-Ni-Pd. I use weak sulfuric or hot dilute oxalic acid myself in a beaker, stirring magnetically. I checked the refiner/assayer
Thanks. I would like to see them. I did send out for assay. Waiting for results.

shown above, should be A-OK. I'll try to post a few pics tomorrow. The nuggets are pretty recently broken out of their matrix, many still have angular extrusions attached and haven't become rounded much by erosion.

Okay, I finally got back the results of assay; trying to make sure I'm reading it correctly. Now what?
Depending on the result you walk away, hire someone to process, sell it or process yourself.
You have the results, you decide;)

Latest posts

Back