How dangerous is Aqua regia

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rational solution:

"If you don't know how to cook stay out of the kitchen".

Chemistry and in particular, reactive chemicals like acids are absolutely dangerous and are known to be deadly. Yes, be paranoid.

IMHO soliciting an answer to "how much?" with reference to exposure to acids including AR has no correct answer. The correct answer if there is one - is "zero"!

Never sniff acids or any other chemicals that may be toxic. Read about and learn about chemistry. Heed all of the cautions! Be smart. Grow smarter!

- Geowizard

extremely is you don’t have proper PPE and ventilation, pretty benign if you do,

I inhaled a lot of it, couple years ago, my lungs definitely didnt like it had breathing issues for a couple weeks, but it can kill you

If you are worried about NOx fumes, use a scrubber. It's real easy to set up with some plastic tubing and some glass Ball jars. I use a two stage scrubber for NOx - first stage is for H2O2 to capture and convert NOx back into HNO3; second stage is for NaOH solution to catch any fugitive NOx not converted by the first step. See the attached pic. These gas scrubbers are in their gold refining configuration, but also double as air cleaners. I just dont have any picks of these in use as scrubbers. By using scrubbers with a closed reaction vessel, i produce exactly ZERO detectable NOx.

Attachments

• 20240303_172609.jpg
    20240303_172609.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 6
Back