How to clean a crucible or melting dish.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve,
I'll post the same picture of my hood I've posted before, for ready reference. It shows the blower assembly, and the pipe that hooks to the hood, to the rear of the blower. I had provided for a future hood, which accounts for the light brown (held in place with duct tape) cover you see at the end of the hookup pipe. It was never built, but only because I never took the time. I really needed two hoods because I had to stop refining when I incinerated.

It isn't necessary to have a belt, and I would suggest that you do not. Keep it as clean and simple as possible, although if you have something specific in mind and a belt is required, I see no problem with using one. The nice thing about the blower in the picture (from Grainger) is that there is nothing on the outside that creates a hazard, very unlike a belt.

I made one serious misque when I wired the lab. I had a 1 horse blower in the turret, which was my melting room for the large furnace and my small crucible furnace. I wired it to the same ciruit that shared the hood, and it would knock a breaker on rare occasion. That's the reason for the extension cord you see in the picture. The quad receptacle, for all practical purposes, was worthless because of the 1 horse blower, and I was way too busy to screw around with rewiring. Talk about bush-league! :)

Harold

Attachments

• Fume hood-resized.jpg
    Fume hood-resized.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 456
Howdy,
I've been reading about the hoods. Is it possible to buy a premade hood somewhere or do you have to build them. We probably could build it ourselves if it comes to it. We can work stainless steel. Is that a good hood to use?

Thanks

71smithg said:
Howdy,
I've been reading about the hoods. Is it possible to buy a premade hood somewhere or do you have to build them. We probably could build it ourselves if it comes to it. We can work stainless steel. Is that a good hood to use?

Thanks
Hoods are available commercially, although they're not cheap. You may have good fortune and find one used, however.

Stainless is not a good choice, although it would be better than mild steel. The acids we use in refining will dissolve most metals. There's nothing quite like asbestos, but as we all know, it is no longer an option.

Harold

May I request or offer my service to re post this fume hood information on a thread other than "How to clean a crucible..."

The data here is valuable and I fear anyone interested in fume hood creation may miss this gem.

Regards
Richard

LeftyTheBandit said:
May I request or offer my service to re post this fume hood information on a thread other than "How to clean a crucible..."

The data here is valuable and I fear anyone interested in fume hood creation may miss this gem.

Regards
Richard
Because the posts cover both topics, what might be a good idea is for you to post a link to this thread, including comments that it offers more information on building fume hoods.

Good idea, by the way.

Harold

Found that if you simply heat your silica melting dish that is full of dirty borax with a low heat torch(like with a tank that is running out of fuel...) , will almost turn it black and start to burn, then let it cool and tap it with your graphite stir rod and it will come off leaving you with basically a new crucible....

If i may add,
Ive had super success using dilute nitric & distilled water in a 20% dilution heated on a hotplate to very quickly clean crucibles & not remove crucible material. They end up looking new, i just allow them to dry a few days to a week then re-season with borax.

My .02 Dave

Back