How to Refine Iridium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol: you gotta admit we get some real enteraining people on the forum from time to time :roll:

I may not be the smartest guy in the refiners cookie jar - but I can certainly recognize a guy thats so full of himself he is of little or no help or value to anyone else

Labman - MANY fine divided metal powders will self ignite - IF - conditions are "made" just right --- but then those of us here on the forum that work at & discuss refining are already aware of this (& the many other dangers involved in refining) you are not talking to a crowd of dummies here -so get off your high horse

My zinc powders could self igniting - but is it likely - NO - not unless the conditions are "made" just right

Kurt

Labman,

Some would call breaking the speed of sound in a spacesuit from 120K feet up an act of suicide.
The man who did that jumped many times before building up to that. He had confidence in what he did and the sum of his previous experiences.

While I'll never jump off a platform 23 miles up, I'll certainly take my risk with your iridium powder.
I've poured and filled plenty of bottles of it (there are members here who own my material) and never had cause for alarm. Come on, just get over here with some of it and let's see who is right. If you stand by your knowledge, I'll stand by mine. I'll sign a waiver. I'm not making any money from it--if you're wrong it'll go towards a good cause (probably would make a poll here titled "Labman was wrong--to which charity should I donate the proceeds of his false pride?").

I know you don't care if I believe you but I know you care about your reputation. This forum gets more page reads than every Johnson Matthey site. This is a happening place!

Back to the OP topic: Jimdoc has posted also the modified lead fusion method paper by Gilchrist to separate Iridium. If there is iron or Ruthenium contamination, then that also will have to be dealt with. With Platinum-Iridium alloys that method will produce very pure separation of metals.

Caution Iron powders are flammable!

Caution rust is flammable!

That rust can explode in a very hot melt, when mixed with other fine metal powders!

Rust has created such heat that they used it to weld very thick metal together like railroad rails.

It can form thermite, this powder, when lit with a magnesium ribbon or other chemical reaction can melt thick iron like rail road rails together, which would be very hard to weld with other methods

Dust can be explosive!

I cannot say how flammable iridium powder is as I am sure there are dangers in it being flammable, as many fine metal powders are flammable in fine powders, but these same powders like rust may not normally be a problem unless handled in certain conditions.

Labman as long as you keep these moot points or facts and arguments going all you are doing is ruining your own reputation further here on the forum.

Be cautious with fine metal powders, or dust as they are more reactive,and can pose dangers if handled improperly, that is a very valid point, but to try and argue nonsense, and troll the forum is not going to get you anywhere.

I cannot believe a man of your intelligence cannot see the nonsense in all of this, maybe you are not as intelligent as I have given you credit for.

I feel like anyone coming here to learn is going to be sorely disappointed when they find out its a bunch of people who think they are smarter than the next one and its nothink but dick measuring. Put your egos to the side and get over yourselves. Just stick to refining or shutup because what you know doesnt make you king shit.

And with that we will not see AVOGEL522 here anymore. He's been permanently banned.

Göran

Very eloquently put sir.
Ever considered most replies are based upon experience and knowledge? Made by respected members.
This forum is a treasure of information and will warn people from making mistakes and possibly getting themselves, or other less experienced members that read this, in danger.

Personally, I think the banhammer should have come out after his first two posts back in May. Then, again, I am an extremist.

Time for more coffee.

I agree, but at that time I was on a hiatus. Covid, no work and just fed up by the sheer stupidity some people displays put me off the forum from February to August. :mrgreen:

Göran

Back