I am unable to identify this "base metal", any help is appreciated

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean, i should dissovle the zinc to gather the rest? How could that be even profitable?

You do it in the stock pot where left over acid from gold refining ends up. You add metal to it to cement any gold still in solution. For that you need metal. I use copper, Hoke used zinc, there are pros and cons with both choices.
Using low grade scrap instead of copper for example both reduces the need for copper and recovers the precious metals in the scrap for free. It all depends on what your needs are and volumes processed. So yes, it can be done profitable if you have a stock pot.

Göran

"Zamak" is a brand name for a zinc alloy used by Atlas-southbend lathes in the 30's and 40's for their change gears. It is very light and brittle if you hit it with a hammer it will break but does deform a bit. I used hcl on my change gears to remove the "White Rust" when I got it and it worked fabulously. Zamak parts were cast under pressure into the molds which are mostly small (less than cm sq) thick. When broken Zamak has a potmetal structure on the inside not like the picture.

I may have missed something here but could someone enlighten me as to where it is proven that there is some gold there?

anachronism said:
I may have missed something here but could someone enlighten me as to where it is proven that there is some gold there?
Good point!

It's obvious impossible to refine gold if there isn't anything there.

Take a small part of the alloy (for example by drilling). Dissolve it in HCl.
Any undissolved remains could be precious metal. Add a drop of nitric and a few drops of HCl to any powder remaining. This can then be tested for any precious metals with stannous.

This test would only give an answer if there is precious metals present or not, not how much.

Göran

Maybe i have not been clear enough before because i was not certain myself, the gold was on the outside not inside the material itself; However, now i am certain about it because i got another batch of the material, this time there are only small spots, about 10% of the whole surface which are broken and show the material i showed on the pictures.. the remaining parts show a very nice shiny gold plating :G

So i guess the producer changed something, and now produces more worthy scrap (a lot less tho) :oops:

Syn,

Success/Courage consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
-Winston Churchill-

Do not forget what you learned, but please move on.

If learning is what you intend to do, start with a material that has a known recovery value. This should be your starting point. By starting with a documented material you can hone your knowledge and refining skills. You can estimate losses you may have with what other, more experienced refiners have documented in their recovery. This way you have a better understanding of the different materials you may possible work with, the amounts of Au you should expect to recover and the pertaining reactions of the base metals of the material you are working with.

All of this happens before you touch a single chemical.

Rachel

anachronism said:

Nope, didn't miss a beat, but I'm a sucker for "mystery metals". :wink:

g_axelsson said:
Previous I used some melted pins, no I didn't buy gold drops on ebay,
Göran

...Sorry about the multiple posts! In re-reading this thread I came across this little gold nugget (yup that's a pun).....Göran...I LMFAO :lol: :lol:!! (Hope that doesn't tee off the moderators). Lol...gold nuggets on eBay, I might just start melting blobs of junk! Do people really buy that trash? I really thought it was a joke, that was until I checked it out!

There is an old saying: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Almost free...Gold Drops on eBay!...lololol :lol:

Rachel

Rachello said:
g_axelsson said:
Previous I used some melted pins, no I didn't buy gold drops on ebay,
Göran

...Sorry about the multiple posts! In re-reading this thread I came across this little gold nugget (yup that's a pun).....Göran...I LMFAO :lol: :lol:!! (Hope that doesn't tee off the moderators). Lol...gold nuggets on eBay, I might just start melting blobs of junk! Do people really buy that trash? I really thought it was a joke, that was until I checked it out!

There is an old saying: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Almost free...Gold Drops on eBay!...lololol :lol:

Rachel
No worries, we can take it. :wink:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, I bought it on eBay.

Göran

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lololololol...I might have maybe snorted & blew chunks of cheerio's & milk out of my nose! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: & I can't even refrain myself from doing it all over again! I might just steal that gem, just because it's so true! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, My 4yr old daughter thought it was an amazing trick making milk & cheerio's shoot out of Mommy's nose for no apparent reason at all :D

& it doesn't get old..lol :lol:

R

That's golden! I guess I owe you a new keyboard now. :mrgreen:

Göran

Every device I own is water & kid proof, so thankfully my phone survived!!
If you feel like sending me a random gold nugget, I would not argue against it! Lol!
My nose burned all day & about 3hrs after I sneezed out a Cheerio that was lodged up there somewhere! :?: :!: :shock: :eek:

Rachel :D

Back