I want privacy!!!!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stella polaris

Once again it happens. Someone with some kind of "legal" rights wants to make a profile of my person. So it pops up a managing settings window. Easiest is off cource to accept all. If you try to manage settings you end up in a window that gives you no information of what on and what's off. At least I can not figure it out. I see it as a extremely impolite way to make you accept all. Absolutely not a acceptable way of behaviour.

Now I get it here a GRF. I have no clue how to be sure I am not getting tracked. I tried once and perhaps I did the right thing because now it once again ask me to manage settings. Any company or provider of a service that makes it so difficult to make an understandeble is not worth co-operation. I WILL STOP USING THIS FORUM IF I HAVE TO LIVE WITH SUCH TYPE OF SERVICE PROVIDER!

Its so easy to make a understandable selection on/off and still they do not do it. I suggest a change of policy. I want nobody out there to know I am interested of PM. Still they want to know and with an extremely badly constructed window make me to accept it. I have no grantees what so ever that the information is safe. I have no information what so ever who the information will be sold to. I have no understanding what so ever that I have to be tracked. I do understand that they do everything to make me press accept all. That type of guys I do not play with. End.

I've never seen anything like that. Since it sounds like you have it happen at other times outside this forum, I would suspect that you may have some kind of virus or malware.

I use a couple of free products to protect my computer. For virus protection, I use Avast. There are pay versions, but I've used the free version for years. Just watch the options carefully when you set it up and use it.

For malware, I use Malwarebytes. Again, it's free.

You should be able to Google them both. I wish you luck.

Dave

Once again it happens. Someone with some kind of "legal" rights wants to make a profile of my person. So it pops up a managing settings window. Easiest is off cource to accept all. If you try to manage settings you end up in a window that gives you no information of what on and what's off. At least I can not figure it out. I see it as a extremely impolite way to make you accept all. Absolutely not a acceptable way of behaviour.

Now I get it here a GRF. I have no clue how to be sure I am not getting tracked. I tried once and perhaps I did the right thing because now it once again ask me to manage settings. Any company or provider of a service that makes it so difficult to make an understandeble is not worth co-operation. I WILL STOP USING THIS FORUM IF I HAVE TO LIVE WITH SUCH TYPE OF SERVICE PROVIDER!

Its so easy to make a understandable selection on/off and still they do not do it. I suggest a change of policy. I want nobody out there to know I am interested of PM. Still they want to know and with an extremely badly constructed window make me to accept it. I have no grantees what so ever that the information is safe. I have no information what so ever who the information will be sold to. I have no understanding what so ever that I have to be tracked. I do understand that they do everything to make me press accept all. That type of guys I do not play with. End.
Stella.
I have never seen this, so I suspect Dave is on the track here.
Do it happen just on one net or is it on mobile net?
it is very easy for some knowledgeable culprit to make driveby system the can fish for information.

@stella polaris

What you are likely seeing are is a request to have a cookie installed on your computer. Due to some of the legal changes over in Europe regarding internet privacy laws, most websites now have to prompt you for permission to add tracking cookies to your browser. A simple but painful solution is to go into your browser settings and disable all cookies. This will break some websites, but it will prevent cookies from being used to track you.

While poking at the website a bit I did discover it does install five cookies, but I wasn't able to repeat the error you are seeing. It could have to do with your security settings on your end.

"Tracking cookies, and especially third-party tracking cookies, are commonly used as ways to compile long-term records of individuals' browsing histories — a potential privacy concern that prompted European[3] and U.S. lawmakers to take action in 2011.[4][5] European law requires that all websites targeting European Union member states gain "informed consent" from users before storing non-essential cookies on their device."

Read more here: HTTP cookie - Wikipedia

In regards to being anonymous on the internet, it's quite frankly impossible for the regular lay-person to fully obfuscate themselves. Between your ISP logging and selling your data, to websites that do it as well, you can't get away from it. Even this website likely has an advertising ID attached to your account/IP address to send you targeted ads if you are not a member (and likely even if you are, they just sell your info).

No doubt if you were to log into Amazon, you would get all sorts of recommendations for refining stuff, even if you never browsed for it before. This type of behavior is those tracking cookies in action.

As for being more invisible on the Internet good luck, while there are VPN's (they log and sell your data), The Onion Router (TOR), (aka the Darkweb), and other things you can try to do, but in the end, you can't really escape the fact that all your information is collected. Whether it be advertisers, the government, foreign powers, etc. It's like being in a room and talking to someone, anyone else in the room can record you.

This is why the US Gov just banned TicTok from all US Gov phones/computers. It collects a lot of information about you and sends it all to China, where they do keep profiles on people across the world.

Let me know if you have any questions and apologies for pulling back the curtain on how you have no privacy on the internet.

Elemental

If you are logged on to anything, or your smartphone is on, you and your history are being recorded. There are innumerable ways to minimize this, but if you have any kind of online footprint, you will not be able to avoid it.

As an example, today while driving, my wife mentioned a particular destination we will be traveling to in August. When she looked at her phone a few minutes later, she had several ads for that destination already on her screen.

Yes, Google is listening. Or Siri. Or something else.

Time for more coffee.

If you are logged on to anything, or your smartphone is on, you and your history are being recorded. There are innumerable ways to minimize this, but if you have any kind of online footprint, you will not be able to avoid it.

As an example, today while driving, my wife mentioned a particular destination we will be traveling to in August. When she looked at her phone a few minutes later, she had several ads for that destination already on her screen.

Yes, Google is listening. Or Siri. Or something else.

Time for more coffee.
Yes, but only if you let it😏

It is The Cockie settings Elemental mentioning. Its deliberately made confusing. There are a row of buttons but absolutely no indication of what's on or off. If you switch the button it becomes green. But what that means you get no info about. The providers often use this non informative settings. Can not see any other reason more than they want to stress you to press the accept all button.

Well, in Europe we at least get this so called settings. In USA it seems you are tracked in to your wardrobe.

It is The Cockie settings Elemental mentioning. Its deliberately made confusing. There are a row of buttons but absolutely no indication of what's on or off. If you switch the button it becomes green. But what that means you get no info about. The providers often use this non informative settings. Can not see any other reason more than they want to stress you to press the accept all button.

Well, in Europe we at least get this so called settings. In USA it seems you are tracked in to your wardrobe.
Right click you icon in the top right corner and a menu pops up, select preferences and a new window/tab "pops" up.
Scroll down and enable disable to your preferences.
So it is not the ordinary cookie settings I think.

And you are right every time the companies are pushed to allow people some privacy they find new annoying ways to get their will.
Lately I have notice that quite few pages has created sub settings the you have to go in and remove too.
Labour intensive and annoying.

Since they place this non essensial cookie on my computer without asking (i.e they take memory and/or force me to work for its removal) then I should be able to invoice them for this. Right? That including all kinds of fees. Help me out here. What kind of fees can I put on the bill that is more or less ok.

My father invoiced all that was sending ads, over the fax, in the 80`s. He run out of paper and missed important fax for all the ads. So he was pissed off and started to invoice the paper + a fee. They were screaming but he got his money and they stopped. I am going to try this with cookies. They have to pay for the memory.. : ) They will have to pay for my work and they will have to pay an invoice fee. What more can I put on the invoice?

Last edited:
There is always computer maintenance and phone upgrades due to the larger amounts of data they store and use on your systems. Educational upgrades needed to learn how to do all these new settings to suit you and not them. Loss of personal time taken to do all these extras for them. Personal time is more valuable that work wages.

Latest posts

Back