Introducing myself

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarvus

I am REALLY excited to have stumbled across this website! What a phenominal resource!

I have always enjoyed learning how to do things and learning to refine Gold is my latest hobby! My wife calls me a "mad scientist" because of my penchant for adopting hobbies that involve applied science and often the construction or purchase of elaborate equipment. My previous and current hobbies have included:

Homebrewing (1997 southeastern homebrewer of the year)
Home distilling (highly illegal but enjoyed some damn fine sippin' likker!)
Soapmaking (decided to clean up my act)
Raising Bananas (I have 20 some different varieties)
Raising Pineapples (I have 6 varieties and 40 plants fruiting currently)
Raising Plumeria (also known as frangipani - the Hawaiin Lei Flower)
Fishing (great skinny water fishing here in SW Florida!)
Target Shooting (and building .22 cal target rifles)
Harassing those Nigerian email scam artists (check out 419eater.com)

In short, my interests are many and varied.

I currently make my living as a full-time musician playing over 300 shows a year with the band I belong to. As a graduate of West Point, I served 6 years as an Infantry officer. I later worked in industrial sales and became an administrative manager for a corrugated packaging factory. I became a licensed stockbroker and commodities broker in 1983 and did that for eight years. I got fascinated with computers and worked as a technician, shift supervisor, database manager, programmer and systems analyst for a number of years. Shortly after moving to Florida I became disenchanted with my employment here and enrolled in massage therapy school. I had my own massage therapy practice for four years and concurrently played music. The band became more and more successful and eventually I closed my massage therapy practice to pursue music full time.

On a trip to Jamaica 1n 1994, I saw a homebuilt instrument called a "Rhumba Box" being played. It's a bass like instrument resembling a giant Kalimba. Naturally, I had to build one and learn to play it and that is the main instrument I play now with the band - with a little harmonica thrown in every now and then.

I'm married, have two ex-wives, three grown children and three grown step-children. My wife and I have 5 grandchildren, three dogs, three cats, a talking parrot named Chico and hundreds of pet fish that live in our canal out back.

I bought a metal detector a few months ago and enjoy prowling the beaches looking for lost jewelry (and scoping out the tourist babes!)

Most of my refining is with aqua regia but I have used a reverse electroplating cell as well. I really look forward to gleaning knowlege from the experienced members of these forums!

best regards to all! :)
Tarvus

tarvus said:
Home distilling (highly illegal but enjoyed some damn fine sippin' likker!)
Tarvus

Chuckle!

Not that I'd know from experience, but I understand you can really improve the taste of that "white lightnin'" by adding a couple bottles of prune juice to the cane sugar. Distilled in a pot still and aged for a couple years in a charred oak barrel turns out some interesting squeezin's, or so I'm told! 8)

Harold

Back