Iridium/Arsenic Minining concentrate Test

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I have a lot of old mining concentrate from montana that an XRF machine shows to contain over 30% iridium. I realize this is most likely arsenic, but I would like to know where I can send it to get an accurate analysis done.

Thanks,

Julia

I have a lot of old mining concentrate from montana
Everyone's definition of a lot varies, but do yourself a favor and sample the "pile" properly, a bit from different locations to get a more representative sample. If you are going to pay for the quality results it pays to send as representative a sample of the pile as possible.

Hello,

I have a lot of old mining concentrate from montana that an XRF machine shows to contain over 30% iridium. I realize this is most likely arsenic, but I would like to know where I can send it to get an accurate analysis done.

Thanks,

Julia
American Analytical in Wallace Idaho does a good job. There are probably some assayers around Butte, the school should be able to give you names.

Hello,

Thanks,

Julia
Hello, hand held XRF? Is not accurate enough to discriminate the iron spectrum out. Arsenic spectrum dies not interfere with iron group metals the pgm are all on the same ramge and when iron is in large amount even today some XRF such may be the Phillips PE 2000 with very very good standards need a good discriminating soft. That will be qualitative analysis to tell what yiu have and a quantitative one will tell how much you have.
Is the concentrate from Stillwater or from somewhere else in the Gallatin National Park?
One big concern with your sample is in the description. Iridium was never found before as a separate pgm sulfide/arsenosulfide from the other pgm. Platinum yes but as native in Wyoming, South America and the Philippines.
Back in the development of Stillwater a mineralogycal lab on the east coast produced pictures of the emission spectrum of the deposit and in the 2000-2010 were available on the internet before the Sebanie acquisition. If you know the concentrate comes from Gold Hill just forget about. If you think you have the concentrate from another location that may relate to the Stillwater deep occurrence and not from their territory I can refer you to Stillwater smelter in Columbus to run a test sample, maybe for free..just because their are next door. I am not related to them in any function or business. Just good professional relationship.
The suggestion to the New Jersey lab may be the place where those samples were run previously. Very good work.

Back