Jewelers Polishing Wheel Waste Experiment

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The solids are running clear and all the gold bearing solution is in the big flask filtered twice

Attachments

• P1260327.JPG
    P1260327.JPG
    866 KB · Views: 1,448
to save time I added sulfamic acid to kill any excess nitric acid - Time is of the essence, my friend wants to see his metal TONIGHT!

Attachments

• P1260329.JPG
    P1260329.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,448
I then began to add Sodium MetaBisulfite to precipitate the gold

Attachments

• P1260334.JPG
    P1260334.JPG
    614.3 KB · Views: 1,448
  • P1260332.JPG
    P1260332.JPG
    644.3 KB · Views: 1,448
After allowing it to settle a few minutes I began to filter out the gold powder

Attachments

• P1260337.JPG
    P1260337.JPG
    735.4 KB · Views: 1,447
Filtering complete, I transferred the filter with the gold in it to a 400ml beaker and added about 100ml hydrochloric acid

Attachments

• P1260346.JPG
    P1260346.JPG
    615.5 KB · Views: 1,447
Then I began adding small amounts of concentrated nitric acid - I only had to add about 6ml to dissolve all the gold - added low heat too.

Attachments

• P1260347.JPG
    P1260347.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,445
In a short time the gold was all dissolved so I added a little more sulfuric acid to precipitate any lead that made it this far.

Attachments

• P1260353.JPG
    P1260353.JPG
    608.2 KB · Views: 1,445
I added a couple ice cubes to cool the solution before filtering

The filtered solution was clear and completely free of contamination

Attachments

• P1260355.JPG
    P1260355.JPG
    775 KB · Views: 1,439
  • P1260354.JPG
    P1260354.JPG
    818.4 KB · Views: 1,439
The clean gold solution was transferred to a beaker and then SMB was added to precipitate the gold again

Attachments

• P1260360.JPG
    P1260360.JPG
    539.4 KB · Views: 1,438
  • P1260358.JPG
    P1260358.JPG
    556.9 KB · Views: 1,438
  • P1260357.JPG
    P1260357.JPG
    565.9 KB · Views: 1,438
The gold came down quickly and cleanly so I threw it into a filter and then into a melt dish, filter and all, and covered with about a table spoon of borax.

I then poured the pure gold into cold water, dried and weighed it.

This was much fun as it was all new to me and it came out way better than I expected.

Of course my friend was very happy to see his metal this evening.

kadriver

Attachments

• P1260364.JPG
    P1260364.JPG
    587.1 KB · Views: 181
  • P1260363.JPG
    P1260363.JPG
    650.2 KB · Views: 181
I was in a hurry smack and the camera kept getting in the way.

But once I got started I wanted to finish.

Thank you for your kind words.

kadriver

kadriver,
I always enjoy reading and seeing your posts and videos, you do a very good job at helping others to see what is going on with a few pictures.
I think you did a good job in this experiment, and with what your learning from Harold you will only improve on the process.

Great job and thank you for sharing.

kadriver said:
I said I was astonished at the amount of gold I got from the small sample.
And now you understand why I have insisted that in order for the home refiner to be (really) successful, he/she should have jewelers as customers. They provide waste materials that are high in content, and also become a source where one can sell their recovered gold for spot price.

Processing wastes from a jeweler's bench kept me so busy I refused to process escrap. I couldn't justify the time spent doing so.

A comment.
If you circumvent the preliminary HCl wash, you're going to encounter solutions that are difficult, if not impossible, to filter. Beyond that, because the vast majority of contaminants are removed in the wash and rinse, before dissolving values, the quality of gold that comes from the process is often as good as that which comes from a second refining.

I NEVER used a Buchner for filtering gold chloride. Two reasons. One of them was that I used an aspirater to create vacuum, and on more than one occasion it added water to the solution when filtering other substances. I also experienced the Buchner picking up the filtrate, running it to waste. Both were unusual circumstances, but they occurred on more than one occasion. I was not willing to experience the risks.

Harold

Thank you for your comments.

I am not a big fan of e-scrap either.

My friend gave me another 400 gram batch of polishing sweeps and I have already started on that.

He also gave me a bag of filings to process.

This too will be my first try at this type of material.

I'll be sure to review Hoke's processes for filings - he said it does have just a little platinum.

Of course I'll review any posts here on the forum for jewelers filings.

kadriver

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    965.9 KB · Views: 124
I found Harold's PDF file on how to process filings.

I was able to save it to my iPad so I can use it as a guide when I start working on these filings.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=18196

Thank you Harold!

kadriver

Great post Kadriver. I really like the way you photograph the process a long the way. You sure do fine work!

Well im using your post to use as my first post. Thank you for the fantastic clear pictures! At this point in my personal journey of refining those pictures are invaluable to beginers like myself. I have taken the advice from someone to collect materials long before I start getting involved with some of the things you just showed...and read,read,read.....and then read some more. I will now go and look back at some of your other posts and see what other pictures you have posted. Thanks again ! I look forward to looking through everyones posts, pictures, online stores and so on..

WB

Just getting started!

Back