just for the fun of it, what is your scaryest chemical

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well im not sure what the chemical was but it was floor stripper. When i was doing time they had me working in a small engine shop fixing lawnmowers and stuff like that. One day i was rebuilding a motor and ran out of degresser, so i went to the toolroom and asked the inmate there for some degreaser. well they where out so without telling me he gave me some floor stripper, i added water to it thinking it was degreaser, then stuck parts in the bucket (steal and aluminum) and started to clean. first thing i noticed was that it got warm....then the burning started and thats when i knew something was horribley wrong. the stuff burned right through my skin and keept eating its way down. Still to this day i got visable scars on my hand from where that stuff ate me up.

For me, it doesn't matter what fluid it is. An unmarked bottle of something is the scaryest thing.
That and that dreaded inkahol. 40+ years of it before finding the reason. Now I see no reason to use it except for a nice relaxing drink now and again. Deep seeded depression fabricates reasons.

Pantherlikher said:
For me, it doesn't matter what fluid it is. An unmarked bottle of something is the scariest thing.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=15356&p=155798&hilit=visine#p155798

Arsine gas. I have been doing my due diligence and this is a serious bad thing. It is odorless and colorless and tastless. If you can smell it you had better pack up and head for the nearest dialysis center. It is 4X more toxic than hydrogen cyanide gas.It destroys your red blood cells and then clogs your kidneys with those dead cells I am planning on writing a paper on it because I feel it has not been covered sufficiently in this forum. Anyone who is interested in ore refining should know about this stuff.

Ragnor said:
Arsine gas.
I presume that you have read about Irons close call with arsine? Halfway up on this page, but a longer description can be found somewhere on the forum.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
a longer description can be found somewhere on the forum.
I have a link to it in the Why Can't I Ask a Simple Question and get a Simple Answer? thread, but it's worth repeating here:

Irons said:
Arsine was the main culprit as well as AsCl3, and Amine based Arsenicals.. Any time volatile heavy metal compounds are created, they become a severe health hazard. Even electronic scrap contains some Arsenic because it's used as a dopant in semiconductors and Gallium Arsenide is a major component of LED's. Precipitating PMs in solutions that contain Arsenicals with Zinc, Aluminum and other base metals can and probably will generate Arsine (AsNH3). 135 PPM of Arsine in Air can kill you straight off and it's a bad way to go. About a year ago, it sent me to the Emergency Room. My urine looked like Tomato Juice and I knew I had been poisoned. My suspicions were right. You cannot believe how sick you can get until you've been poisoned by Arsenic. It's very painful. It will make you wish you were dead.
Dave

Mine would have to be estrogen. Have you ever seen a pissed of estrogen vessel. Shewww wee. Stay away, I warn you!!!! :mrgreen:

Though i have to use it everyday in refining i'm probably most scared of DHMO exposure!
Especially for the environment!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfRGv1V9dSA[/youtube]

carfentanil - drug used for very large animal (ie, elephant) anesthesia. 10,000 x more powerful than morphine. One stray drop will kill you. It's unlikely that the hospital will have enough naloxone.

It's right up there with ebola, radioactive elements, barehanded hot lava, etc.

Palladium said:
Though i have to use it everyday in refining i'm probably most scared of DHMO exposure!
Especially for the environment!

The ignorance of the general public is what terrifies me.
That of which is blatantly obvious in that youtube video.

Back