Landfills

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smack said:
Your local scrap yard may take the computer ABS as well, ask them. Even if they don't want to pay for it, it's better than the alternative.
Took all the carcasses to my local scrapyard', they had a lil plastic on them they took them as shred, made 22$ so that covered the cost of fuel plus a couple beers good call smack never thought of bringing to scrap yard cause always back and forth to the landfills.

Manjelle said:
Smack said:
Your local scrap yard may take the computer ABS as well, ask them. Even if they don't want to pay for it, it's better than the alternative.
Took all the carcasses to my local scrapyard', they had a lil plastic on them they took them as shred, made 22$ so that covered the cost of fuel plus a couple beers good call smack never thought of bringing to scrap yard cause always back and forth to the landfills.

Was that the steel cases with a little plastic on them or the plastic (computer ABS) from the computers with a little steel on them? I was talking about taking the plastic (computer ABS) to them. Of course they'll take the steel with some plastic on it.

Smack said:
Manjelle said:
Smack said:

Was that the steel cases with a little plastic on them or the plastic (computer ABS) from the computers with a little steel on them? I was talking about taking the plastic (computer ABS) to them. Of course they'll take the steel with some plastic on it.
Both they took everything guess they knew both was in there, had it on my trailer had to pass on the scale it was right in front the window.

You should have made more than $22 for that much metal. Did you pull the aluminum heat sinks and hard drive bases? The lids to HDD's are stainless, but the bases are milled aluminum. I made $60 from 1/4 the towers you grabbed.

Some places will also take the fans as copper motors, and I found one that gave me some cash for powersupplies intact. It really helped to de-bulk my stack. Now I just need to depopulate.

All the plastic I had I was able to take to local recycling. No cash, but it didn't go in the landfill either.

We degauss and crush our hard drives. That is after we pull the controller board off it. Our local scrap yard buys them from us for old sheet/cast aluminum price.

gcdrummer02 said:
You should have made more than $22 for that much metal. Did you pull the aluminum heat sinks and hard drive bases? The lids to HDD's are stainless, but the bases are milled aluminum. I made $60 from 1/4 the towers you grabbed.

Some places will also take the fans as copper motors, and I found one that gave me some cash for powersupplies intact. It really helped to de-bulk my stack. Now I just need to depopulate.

All the plastic I had I was able to take to local recycling. No cash, but it didn't go in the landfill either.
No still have all power sources, heat sinks, cd roms, dvdroms, wires, 90% didn't have hard drives, but I do have around 150 stacked up. I am off till mon so will try to get the rest ready to sell tomorrow. Still haven't decided what to do with the slot cards, CPUs, ram yet. Don't think I will do any refining anymore but am hooked on the acquiring and tearing down part. Already removed all gold pins from motherboards. In the process of removing solder mask from the fully gold plated slot cards. Will post some pics after they look cool with no masks on them

I always hold onto laptop RAM cards, and decent Gb PC RAM cards. They sell for more than they scrap.

I actually hold onto a lot of stuff. My supplier doesn't care what I do with stuff, and I always format any HDD that I keep. I've built 2 working laptops for my family now, and thats more value than I would ever get out of scrapping.

As I have said several times refining and recovery isn’t for everyone but there are still ways of making a little money or even a great deal of money by collecting, tearing down and selling or having your cherry picked scrap toll refined if you want the values to keep. If you want to sell then there are buyers and of course Ebay and you can always buy metals to keep if that’s your aim.
The OP has solved the one big problem many members have in finding a source of materials to work with in reasonable volume so it proves its out there still but it needs work and dedication to find it.

nickvc said:
As I have said several times refining and recovery isn’t for everyone but there are still ways of making a little money or even a great deal of money by collecting, tearing down and selling or having your cherry picked scrap toll refined if you want the values to keep. If you want to sell then there are buyers and of course Ebay and you can always buy metals to keep if that’s your aim.
The OP has solved the one big problem many members have in finding a source of materials to work with in reasonable volume so it proves its out there still but it needs work and dedication to find it.
I haven't been having any problems finding' there's nobody in my I entire state that buys electronic scrap only recycle and for free or may even cost to remove. I remove for free and in some instances I offer small amounts for certain items. I average about 20 towers a week and roughly50lbs of escrap. So I depopulate the the plated pins from the motherboards then sell to a buyer each month. That keeps with enough extra money to offer something for certain things, and the pile keeps growing. It's a good thing I have a big shop it's keeps the wife from complaining about the space it would take up in my hunting and fishing room, it's my room and she still wants everything clean and in its place. Lol

Back