Lead or Lead oxide for collector metal?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bone ash (formally Calcium hydroxyphosphate Ca5(OH)(PO4)3, which you can use as an equivalent replacement) was worse in our processes than active magnesium oxide (in quantitative litharge absorption meaning).
In the US, cupels are available in both bone ash variety as well as magnesia variety.

You do not grind them up looking for prills, if you get visible prills you made a big mistake in your cupellation. The recovery of PM's from cupels is going to be based upon microscopic quantities that are drug off with the litharge as it is oxidized. Even then, it should be minimal. They are a hazmat item due to the lead oxide, and you pay to have them removed.

The recovery of PM's from these is best handled by someone with a large smelting operation. So you will simply crush, sift and assay so that you can sell as a prepared sweep.
good afternoon
Has anyone tried to prepare the cupel with washed and sieved coal ash it is an excellent source of Co² , I prepare a tincture of borax and water brush it in the shallow ceramic crucible and punch the washed and sieved and dried ashes, I make a shell in the middle and I put the material to cover.
Thanks

True, yet some videos you can still see the process with just a torch and dish cupel. No swirler, no kiln, no bells and whistles.
A good cupellation will require a kiln, oven, or furnace, capable of maintaining 850 C,. for an hour. After it has been brought up to that temperature.The inside should allow for some air to enter. You do not need a fan going to supply beau ceau air. Just enough to allow the oxidizing reaction to occur. Door ajar 1/8 " is plenty. Some people will put a refractory "screen" in front of the cupel, so as not to cool it with the incoming air. This can be a row of cupels, a couple crucibles, or I use a refractory plate, which I cast from refractory castable cement. Something to keep the incoming air from directly cooling the cupel.
Temperature control is mandatory. The 850 C. mark is needed, with the door cracked, and maintained at that temperature, until the bead "blicks". This is the sign, the Pb has been absorbed by the cupel.
A torch will not work well, even if used by a competent assayer. Too many variables to screw up the reaction. Much easier to get the right tool, for the right job. A small electric furnace is an easy, fairly inexpensive way to go. See the one used by Jason at Mount Baker Mining and metals. Perfect for a couple small cupels.

good afternoon
Has anyone tried to prepare the cupel with washed and sieved coal ash it is an excellent source of Co² , I prepare a tincture of borax and water brush it in the shallow ceramic crucible and punch the washed and sieved and dried ashes, I make a shell in the middle and I put the material to cover.
Thanks
I have never tried Coal ash, as cupels are readily available to me. Can you explain how the CO2, and covering, helps with the process, please?

I have never tried Coal ash, as cupels are readily available to me. Can you explain how the CO2, and covering, helps with the process, please?

Good afternoon my friend I'm researching, studying and doing tests based on the teachings of the Brazilian miner and scientist Moisés Kock Dias. Which developed alternative mining systems in the safest possible way. This mining scientist lived for years in the Amazon rainforest in Brazil and had difficulties getting things to mine, he ended up developing several alternative methods. Its collection has more than 10 written books and described and tested processes. The use of coal ashes is an alternative way, as I don't have many possibilities at the moment to get more appropriate ways. That's why I'm making this homemade cupela because it's working I decided to comment. I WOULD LIKE TO EMPHASIZE THAT I AM NEW, BUT VERY COMMITTED TO LEARNING. Coal ash properties: Charcoal ashes, after being washed with hot water to remove soluble and more fusible elements such as potassium, boron, sodium, lithium, barium, and others. After washing the ash and sifting it has the property of forming an efficient refractory. After being washed and sieved, the ash has a porosity Which allows the circulation of O² oxygen over its pores, preventing the infiltration of liquid metal into its pores. the ash cup accommodated inside a shallow ceramic crucible, open, sometimes I use a graphite crucible. I make a small hole in the middle and put the metal oxide alloy with lead and leave it for 4 hours, sometimes it is necessary to repeat this process as many times as necessary until the lead evaporates to the maximum. Sometimes I notice that base metals go down to the bottom of the dome being absorbed by the coal (coal ash) on top there is usually some different metal. The issue of carbon C as one of the sources of reduction to oxides in mineralized land. The carbon I mention is related to the black flux that I add to the reducing mixture for the oxidation process. I usually use fine wood sawdust or wheat flour as a source of C. More other elements such as NaOH, Nacl, are organized inside a crucible that I take to the oven at 800° to 900° not to crystallize the material, then we proceed with thermal shock to break the crystallization if it is a very crystalline ore. This burning proceeds for about 2 hours. NOTE: this step is the reduction to non-copelling oxides, these are different things!

I WOULD LIKE TO NOTE THAT MY REDUCTION PROCESSES WITH Pbo when necessary and also cupellation are carried out IN A HOMEMADE RETORT OVEN WITH A SHOWER THAT WASHES THE GASES DOWN WITH THE STRENGTH OF THE LIME WATER, THE SOLUTION CONDENSES IN THE RESERVOIR CONTAINER ALL Pdo4 is washed through a lime solution and recovered afterwards. NOTE: THESE ARE TESTS, TESTS, STUDIES ALTHOUGH KNOW THE WORK BY THE SCIENTIST MOISÉS KOCK DIAS I AM IN THE LEARNING PHASE. I HAVE MANY DOUBTS AND MANY THINGS TO LEARN. Thanks

Sory dont speak engles 😔😔😔

Good afternoon my friend I'm researching, studying and doing tests based on the teachings of the Brazilian miner and scientist Moisés Kock Dias. Which developed alternative mining systems in the safest possible way. This mining scientist lived for years in the Amazon rainforest in Brazil and had difficulties getting things to mine, he ended up developing several alternative methods. Its collection has more than 10 written books and described and tested processes. The use of coal ashes is an alternative way, as I don't have many possibilities at the moment to get more appropriate ways. That's why I'm making this homemade cupela because it's working I decided to comment. I WOULD LIKE TO EMPHASIZE THAT I AM NEW, BUT VERY COMMITTED TO LEARNING. Coal ash properties: Charcoal ashes, after being washed with hot water to remove soluble and more fusible elements such as potassium, boron, sodium, lithium, barium, and others. After washing the ash and sifting it has the property of forming an efficient refractory. After being washed and sieved, the ash has a porosity Which allows the circulation of O² oxygen over its pores, preventing the infiltration of liquid metal into its pores. the ash cup accommodated inside a shallow ceramic crucible, open, sometimes I use a graphite crucible. I make a small hole in the middle and put the metal oxide alloy with lead and leave it for 4 hours, sometimes it is necessary to repeat this process as many times as necessary until the lead evaporates to the maximum. Sometimes I notice that base metals go down to the bottom of the dome being absorbed by the coal (coal ash) on top there is usually some different metal. The issue of carbon C as one of the sources of reduction to oxides in mineralized land. The carbon I mention is related to the black flux that I add to the reducing mixture for the oxidation process. I usually use fine wood sawdust or wheat flour as a source of C. More other elements such as NaOH, Nacl, are organized inside a crucible that I take to the oven at 800° to 900° not to crystallize the material, then we proceed with thermal shock to break the crystallization if it is a very crystalline ore. This burning proceeds for about 2 hours. NOTE: this step is the reduction to non-copelling oxides, these are different things!

I WOULD LIKE TO NOTE THAT MY REDUCTION PROCESSES WITH Pbo when necessary and also cupellation are carried out IN A HOMEMADE RETORT OVEN WITH A SHOWER THAT WASHES THE GASES DOWN WITH THE STRENGTH OF THE LIME WATER, THE SOLUTION CONDENSES IN THE RESERVOIR CONTAINER ALL Pdo4 is washed through a lime solution and recovered afterwards. NOTE: THESE ARE TESTS, TESTS, STUDIES ALTHOUGH KNOW THE WORK BY THE SCIENTIST MOISÉS KOCK DIAS I AM IN THE LEARNING PHASE. I HAVE MANY DOUBTS AND MANY THINGS TO LEARN. Thanks

Sory dont speak engles 😔😔😔
I guess the ashes from coal aren’t much different than the bone ashes used in the old times.
As you say the solubles need to be washed out. And what is left are not carbon but what ever non combustable material left from the coals.
I see no problem that way, but there might be issues with binding though.
These books are they accessible in English?

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
I guess the ashes from coal aren’t much dufferent than the bone ashes used in the old times.
As you say the solubles need to be washed out. And what is left are not carbon but what ever non combustable material left from the coals.
I see no problem that way, but there might be issues with binding though.
These books are they accessible in English?

Good morning

His comparison of coal ashes with bone ashes is very good, he mentions bone ash in the ancient custom of metallurgy, as well as coal ashes.

I would really appreciate it if you could hear a way of translating this book from Portuguese to English. More than 30 years of experience in mineral analysis and processes involving various applied mining techniques in rocks and rare earths ⚒ PM, PMG. 🥇 🥈 🙏🙏

Thanks.

Back